PDA

View Full Version : Waxing legs - my experience/Update

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
OK, obviously the topic of shaving, waxing, and epi-whatever occurs over and over, and I apologize to those who will say "not again!", but I thought it good to share my recent experence of waxing since the question does pop up over and over.
I will be writing this as diary of the experence. I did not have an internet connection for the beginning part of this and could not post, so I decided to wait until I had time to sit and post the experience. Since there will be incorrect dates on the messages, I'll post as "day 1" etc.

I hope this is useful / helpful to someone.
Tara

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I have been letting the hair grow on my legs for about 3 weeks and its driving me crazy. I am pretty hairy, not ape-like, but my hair is pretty dense and dark. Shaving was not working well. If I shaved in the morning, my legs had a five-o'clock stubble that dragged on pants or hose ... or more importantly, wife. By morning she would complain that I was "scratchy," and she was right. It was taking a lot of time for results that lasted 4 hours. Professional wax jobs are just too expensive to the current buget, so I decided to try the new hair removeal strips. In the past I've tried the do-it-yourself wax kits and they were messy, needed heating, and took a really long time. These strips looked promissing. There were a lot of brands from which to choose, by I elected "Nads for men: 24 hair removal strips for a smooth, sculpted look" since I could show my wife (who would surely object to such a thing) that they were somehow "sanctioned." When I got it home I showed her that the box said "suitable for LEGS, underarms, chest and back." She sighed and sort of shook her head.

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
OK, I have a block of time and I'm ready to rid myself of some hair. Folowing instructions I realize that the hair is a bit longer than they specify, but I hope this will give a better grip. The wax is applied to the strips in a very smooth coat, much less wax than if I was doing this myself. Starting on the calf (less pain) ... smooth it on and zip it off. Little ouch! Pain is not as bad as I remember, in fact in a perverse way the pain feels sort of good. Its like "take that, you cursed hair -- die!" The strips seem to work for 4 or 5 removals, but by then they are caked with hair. The thighs, especially the backs, are more painful, but not intolerable. Once again, sort of a gleeful "die hair" pain. Doing my derrière is a bit more difficult as its hard to see what I'm doing, but nevertheless quite a bit of hair comes off of there too.
I notice that these strips leave a bit off sticky residue everywhere and it doesn't sem to wash off, so I'm a bit concerned. Not to worry, they provide what look like moist-toweletts, but in reality seem to be treated with some type of oil. They feel wonderful when I smooth them over my legs. Soothing and it removes all the sticky. Legs are left like when I oil them at the beach -- smooth and shimmering. These toweletts are more soothing than anything else than I have used in the past.

Word of note: these strips are VERY sticky. Do not drop one on the floor. It will land sticky side down (buttered bread law) and you will have a mess. Don't ask how I know this!

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
OMG, my legs look and feel so great. SO SMOOTH. Not all of the hair was removed, but I'd say 95% seemed to be gone. It remains to be seen how much came out at the root and how much broke below the skin surface and would be back soon (I have a history with that happening). Today my wife noticed (hey, I was really obvious) and asked if I had used "those wax strip things." Her general comment, which is always the same when I shave, is the she doesn't like the way it looks because "guys aren't supposed to be like that." however, latter in bed, she was rubbing my legs and said how good they felt. In fact, she was rubbing a lot more than she ever would. Later, she wrapped her smooth legs around mine and told me how nice they felt. :straightface: Mixed messages are tough to sort out.

On the other hand, my legs also feel traumatized. They do have small red marks (not nearly as bad as other times) and they feel numb. Like the nerves are in shock from the hair being ripped out. Despite that, I'm loving this.

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Skin is back to normal color -- no more red. Legs feeling better, but still a bit "numb."

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 10:59 AM
One whole week. I can feel some growth with my hand, but very little. If I look closely I can see hair, but from a distance or in the mirror it all smooth skin. I have been exfoliating EVERY morning and applying lotion. Battling potential ingrown hairs.

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 11:07 AM
When I run my hands on my leggs they are feeling scratchy, but I realize that it is just the contrast from totally smooth. If I slide on a pair of Silk Reflections thigh highs, my legs feel perfectly smooth. With shaving, the "pricklies" would stick through after only 2 days. In the mirror, my legs still look like all skin, but I am ever more aware of hair growing. I wonder how much of this is other follicles growing.
I am starting to get a fair number of red bumps with hairs in them. Infected? Ingrown? Some hair is also not standing up, but seems to be trapped below a thin layer of skin. Perhaps this is called "ingrown?" Anyway, two minutes per day with a pair of tweezers and I've removed all the hairs in red areas, and they seem to heal by the next day, so I've go no concerns about that. Keep exfoliating!

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Today is THREE WEEKS since I've shaved! :happy:
Most of the red hairs have subsided. The hairs that are growing vary from barely visible to to perhaps 4mm long, and I decide its time to try waxing to see if I can remove more hair.
Realistically looking at my legs, perhaps only 10-15% of my original hair density remains. Though I look at or feel my legs and go "UGH! hair!" I do realize that really very little hair remains. It's just that I want NONE. You know how it is. After exfoliating well, the strips go to work. It looks like a lot a hair is being left behind, but when I loot at the strips I realize that a lot is actually being removed. I also see a lot of dead skin flakes coming off too, so I guess I need to exfoliate better. A half-dozen strips, and 30 minutes later, I declare it good enough. There is still a lot of hair left -- OK, realistically not really, it is mostly the under the skin variety and really short hair that is just coming in. I clean my legs with the oil towelette (one did both legs) and they feel great. But I can still feel those hairs that are starting, so I hop in the shower and pull out the Venus Divine. It glides smoothly over the oil, but as a few nicks appear I remember why I hate shaving. Still, this hopefully will even out the growth and in three more weeks I can jank out a whole new crop of hair.
Splash a bit of alcohol on my legs (stings, but that tells just how much shaving rips up my legs) which helps keep down the red on my legs, and smooth on lotion. AAAAAHHHH. They feel and look great. I love smooth legs. I wish my wife did too. Maybe someday.

Well, that brings you up-to-date. If you have any questions about my experience, I'll be glad to respond.
God bless you all.

Glamourgirl GG
01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey Tara this is great. :)

My husband had started using Veet, but now it is leaving burns on his skin. My friends recommended Parissa Wax Strips, so I ordered a bunch yesterday online and got an email confirmation within hours that they shipped out. I think the bikini strips were like $5 for 16 strips and the leg and body ones were $10 for 16 strips. Kind of expensive, but not when compared to how much we are spending on Veet and shaving stuff.

For your red bumps, apply 100% aloe vera gel after waxing. Aloe is an anti-inflammatory and should really help soothe your skin. I got the gel for about $3.50 at the same online store I bought the wax strips.

Cheryl GG
01-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I wax my eyebrows...did the lip ONCE...wont ever do that again... and heck it wasnt like it needed to be done...but....was doing the whole nine yards....so just kinda went with it....and that hurt like hell....have done the legs....didnt care for that but would do the legs again and wont EVER let mental blockage on bikini area waxing leave my mind...no thanks but hey, legs feel soo smooth when waxed....and does give longer time between shaves/next waxing.....but cant imagine being a man and that first leg waxing (for those with hairy legs)....xoxoxoC/

lilsissy
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
My ex started me on professional waxing about five or six years ago. She took me to an upscale salon where she was a regular customer, and the girl who did my waxing was pretty, friendly and open-minded, making me feel at ease right away. The first few visits were just for the legs, but after she learned more about our D/s relationship and my sissy side, she offered to give me the full treatment...complete body waxing, bikini lines (right up to the edge of my thong) and eyebrows. At first the procedure would take two to three hours once a month, but as my body hair thinned out, it was much faster, every six weeks or so. There was nothing overtly sexual going on, but there was definitely a sexual tension in the air (my excitement was sometimes obvious, if you know what I mean!). I saw her on a regular basis for over three years, until my ex and I split.

I moved to the NY/NJ area, and after making some phone calls, found another salon that would provide my type of service. Again, it was fairly comfortable, the waxing tech was open and professional, almost clinical this time. I got a couple of looks and heard some whispered comments from some of the other girls at the salon, but the owner was pleasant (especially when I signed the credit slip, lol), telling me I was welcome any time. I returned regularly for over a year, until my career took me to my present location in NC.

I've been very busy and have not had the chance to find another salon here. I will be doing so asap, as I love the experience, not only of my smooth skin but also the delicious sensations I feel lying on the padded couch in a place normally reserved for females, clad only in brief shorts or a thong, music playing in the background as my body hair is removed to leave smooth, pink skin behind. I've tried a few home waxing kits and while the results are satisfactory, it's the sharing of my feminine side, the baring of my soul, if that doesn't sound too corny, that I truly enjoy. :love:

Tara Michele
01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, I obviously removed a lot of hair this morning, because I am covered with a LOT of red bumps. Yes, next time I will try the 100% aloe vera (thank you for the suggestion).

And yes, SOMEDAY, I will go to a pro for a real waxing experience. I need to start saving my pennies.
Thanks all.

toniinoz
01-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Hey Tara , glad you started this thread , I know I just have to get my legs waxed after reading your posts. Toni

TammyGurl
01-09-2007, 02:47 AM
i use parissa wax strips
http://www.parissa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=3

it's like the same thing you have
i also get a blue liquid to clean the wax off

i've been shaving for the past few days and i always get the "bumps" next morning :straightface:

waxing strip hurts :(

DanaJ
01-09-2007, 06:08 AM
No-Bump (http://www.folica.com/No_Bump_RX_Body_d238.html) - What I use :)

Colleen
01-11-2007, 04:40 PM
womens nair works best for me shaving rshes me out veet I get the itchies mens nair works too slow and more expensive.

Samantha Jane Foster
01-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I couldn't go three weeks without shaving before I waxed. I'd go crazy.

bgirl
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM
My skin is sensitive to razors, wax and nair. Shaving is a pain but does me the least harm. If I could afford laser I would think about it. There are home versions but I have not seen any good reviews on them.

jennifer easton
01-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Tara this is right up my alley!! the way you explained your situation is like mine, shave and a day later i feel all stubley, started using epilator and that helps, but geeeeees on my chest just cant handle it,on my legs though no probbelmo!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO nads it is, but where do you get yours? xoxoxoxoJennifer

Ellie
01-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I've tried all sorts of hair removal and waxing by a pro has shown the best results for me. An hour or so on the table and I'm silky smooth from my neck to my toes. The only down sides are the cost (~$125) and the need to wait for the hair to grow out before waxing again.

Agggggh that part is so frustrating. I've been in guy mode since Halloween and it is really beginning to wear on me.

Just a few more days to payday and then I can be hair free again.

Tara Michele
02-08-2007, 02:19 PM
It seems that I've settled into a 3 weeks cycle between home waxing. It I look closely at my legs, there seem to be quite a few hairs that grow out during that time, but honestly my legs are almost totally smooth. The hairs that do grow seem to be softer, probably because they have no sharp end from a razor. Even a pair of Hanes "Little Color" thigh highs hides that hair, and bare-legged in a mirror I can't see it.

So, I've reached a compromise ... my legs don't have that "incredibly smooth" feeling like right after shaving, but the "good enough" feeling lasts far more than the 8 hours that shaving does. The reality is that my wife doesn't shave very often and that there often are fine hairs on her legs, so maybe my approach is just being realistic instead of trying to be a runway model.

Someday though, it will be a professional wax job where they get EVERY hair!

janedoe311
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I have seen them on TV and wondered if they are any good.

Tara Michele
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
This is a continuation of my experiences in using self-torture :eek: er ... I mean self-waxing strips.

This past time, since the local store did not have my usual "Nads for Men" strips in stock, i decided to try Veet brand. I had heard a lot of good things about Veet products. The strips used a sugar-based sticky instead of the wax-based on Nads, so I figured the cleanup would be easier. And it was.

My experience with Veet hair removal strips was bad. :thumbsdn: I tried with varying hair length, with freshly showered or not, and in basically all cases they only removed a few hairs (10-50%) :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: BUT IT STILL HURT cause it pulled on the others. Also, the strips come sealed in a foil pouch and after they are out of the pouch for a couple weeks they seem to "dry out" and work even worse! :(

I will probably try others, but I'm staying away for Veet.
Tara

TxKimberly
03-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I too have waxed. I used to have a VERY hairy chest and now there is very little there due to the waxing. If you hate the mess of waxing, you might try an epilator. The good news with an epilator is that it does not leave the mess that waxing does. The bad news is that it takes longer than waxing and generaly drags the pain out.

Kim

ReginaS
03-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I have been getting my legs waxed for quite some time...i go to a local beauty college and have it done by esticians in training...really cheap! I am going to have my chest done soon!

Sedona
03-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I have been getting my legs waxed for quite some time...i go to a local beauty college and have it done by esticians in training...really cheap! I am going to have my chest done soon!

Same here, I use a beauty college from time to time for my chest/back, and it's about half regular costs. Downside is not much privacy, so I get full body waxes a couple of times a year (as my girlfriend allows :love: ) from a fantastic pro at an upscale salon nearby.

Tara, thanks for sharing your experiences. You might save your pennies, as you can do some internet searching for full body waxing specials. And Lilsissy's right, there is something to be said for the salon experience. If you are ever visiting a progressive part of the country, South Florida, San Francisco. or Los Angeles, you can come across package deals (Miami salons often have price wars) for full body, incl. Brazilian (only to be tried by a true pro).

Tara Michele
03-30-2007, 09:19 PM
After my *BAD* experience with Veet strips, I switched back to Nads (this time the "made for women with fresh apple scent") and they worked great. So it wasn't my legs or my technique, but the product. Legs look and feel great.

Veet wax strips :thumbsdn:
Nads wax strips :thumbsup:

Tara

Sedona
03-30-2007, 11:05 PM
You said nads, huh huh.

terrinoble
03-31-2007, 05:04 AM
Yes, "ripping off your nads" sounds painful. :lol2:

Sometimes, I will defoliate my legs using the redneck method: duct tape! Works pretty well for me!