PDA

View Full Version : Is this a hobby or what?

Marla
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
When I retired, I was told I should find a hobby. Well I've had one for 40 years! The processing of collecting, concealing and then learning to apply and wear my feminine attire and walk and move in a feminine way has been a very good hobby for me over the years. I've also found it to be a very good escape. When something bad happens in my life and I can become Marla for awhile, I always feel much stronger and can think things through a lot better. What is cding for you all. Just interested. Hobby, escape or something else?

Marla S
01-09-2007, 01:17 PM
We had the question several times without a clear result.

I think it is a basic need for feminity or participation in the feminie culture, that may form out in more or less strange ways as a hobby, lifestyle, urge, obsession or whatever, depending on your circumstances of life and your way of thinking.

Out of this options my choice would be lifestyle, though I know the argument that a lifestyle usually can be choosen and to be a CD is no choice but a fact.

But that rises the question: What is it to be a "real man or woman" Lifestyle ? Hobby ? Obsession ? Disphoria ?

diane59
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Collecting cars to me is a hobby, Cd'ing appears to be more of a lifestyle that I cannot change about myself, I can enjoy my cars in drab or enfemme and get the same satisfactory results each time I drive (however it's more fun driving a sports car with heels):heehee: . Even collecting attire, jewelry, lingerie, etc. is part of who I am, not what I would consider a "hobby"
"just my point of view"

Billijo49504
01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Fantastic!!!! As I would describe a hobby as something to do that gives you enjoyment, helps keep you from being bored and gives you a place to spend all that EXTRA MONEY, that the SO always assumed you had. You've got it all covered...BJ

hotbobbie
01-09-2007, 01:24 PM
To me it is my way of living not a hobby. Also your picture is really great.

Tracy_Victoria
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
seems I am in a minority so far, I've always considered my dressing as a hobby. I can the other posters points of view, but to me dressing has always been something I do to relax, and enjoy, and I have always view it as my strange hobby.

Samantha Jane Foster
01-09-2007, 01:32 PM
It might be like a hobby to some you know or to others more an obsession -- for me I want to be a woman, at least have the appearance of one -- and be treated as if I were female -- but it might be better to cross-dress as a private hobby, because I started wearing capri pants and espadrilles and lacy camis to work last summer, instead of just wearing fun stuff at home, and it made me sad that I couldn't simply be seen as a regular girl wearing cute clothes and not some kind of weirdo -- so once it goes beyond having fun at home, you start thinking about just how much you can 'pass' and whether you ought to have a sex change, or at least laser hair removal.

Tracy_Victoria
01-09-2007, 01:50 PM
It might be like a hobby to some you know or to others more an obsession -- for me I want to be a woman, at least have the appearance of one -- and be treated as if I were female -- but
it might be better to cross-dress as a private hobby, because I started wearing capri pants and espadrilles and lacy camis to work last summer, instead of just wearing fun stuff at home, and it made me sad that I couldn't simply be seen as a regular girl wearing cute clothes and not some kind of weirdo -- so once it goes beyond having fun at home, you start thinking about just how much you can 'pass' and whether you ought to have a sex change, or at least laser hair removal.

Hi Samantha

I know your comments were not solely aimed as me, however I Just wanted to make it clear, that because I say this is a hobby to me, it does not mean my goals are not the same as yours. my goal in dressing has always been to be accepted by on lookers in a crowd as the female image I present. I don't consider myself a Woman Nor am I a TS, I love being a guy, I love guy things in my life as well.

Tracy is as i said just a hobby, and no more, I may take a little more time over my dressing than I do over other hobbies, but I'm not a woman, and have no wish to be so, tracy lives in several boxes, and comes out when I'm ready. I'm not driven to be Tracy, I just enjoy the sence of being dressed, and as I have said before I have no wish to do this every day, only when I'm ready and able to do so.

Kate Simmons
01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Hobby? No.Escape?No.Outward expression of my female feelings?Most definately.:happy:

Ranee Daze
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Long ago I came to realize that I could easily let CDing take over my life but that would also mean that being openly transgender would ruin my ability to parent or earn a living. Yes, I enjoy it completely, don't get me wrong, but I decided that I would to learn how to 'manage' what I will call a "pasttime" and I would enjoy only occasional adventures enfemme when time and finances allowed. I was also worried that daily dressing might make it routine and destroy the sexual pleasure I get out of it. Twenty years and counting and Ranee and I are still in love.! The plan works just fine for me!
Wonderful hobby indeed!

RobertaFermina
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I feel this is at least a hobby, and an episodic therapeutic adventure.

When I bunch my episodes of dressing closer together in time, I feel the potential of a new lifestyle, or a lifestyle shift. That feeling is yummy when I am dressed, and scary when I am not.

So my one liner is: This is an episodic therapeutic adventure !

Roberta

Tina Dixon
01-09-2007, 02:19 PM
It probley is at the moment, but this hobby can take control of me if I let it.

Karren H
01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
For me its a combination of a hobby and a sport... Because it has simularities to both!! Like a hobby it is very time consuming and relaxing and a diversion from reality... But like a sport is is very physically chalenging..... Keeping you girlish figure, eating right, exersize, plus there is some competetiivism involved.... Trying to excell and be as good or better than the girl next door... Lol.

Changeing gender in as fast a time as possible... Hmmm... Maybe that just me!! Hehe

And when it comes to shopping enfemme.... That's totally a competetive sport... Beating those old ladies to the sales racks... So what if a few get knocked down!!! "Can't take a few checks then you shouldn't be out here playing the game granny!!! "

:)

Love Karren

Lovely Rita
01-09-2007, 03:08 PM
When I retired, I was told I should find a hobby. Well I've had one for 40 years! The processing of collecting, concealing and then learning to apply and wear my feminine attire and walk and move in a feminine way has been a very good hobby for me over the years. I've also found it to be a very good escape. When something bad happens in my life and I can become Marla for awhile, I always feel much stronger and can think things through a lot better. What is cding for you all. Just interested. Hobby, escape or something else?

It is hard for me to say it is just one thing. It is all the above but more importantly it is a big part of who I am.

Hugs

Kate Simmons
01-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmm--You got that right Karr. All's fair in love, war and especially sales.:p

Robin Leigh
01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Hobby? No.Escape?No.Outward expression of my female feelings?Most definately.:happy:What my sister Ericka said goes for me, too. :happy:

:hugs:

Robin

Kenix
01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Hobby for me. I don't dress enough to consider it a lifestyle.

AprilMae
01-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Definately a Hobby. I like puting together outfits, accessorizing, etc. Actually I don't feel any more female when I'm dressed, just contented.

Toyah
01-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Said it before and will say it again hobby for me, dont want to get into the angst of who Toyah is, she is just fun:love:

Joy Carter
01-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Marla just simply stated, this me and I'm going to enjoy being me. I hate the idea that this is a hobby.

Sharon
01-09-2007, 05:52 PM
My hobbies are reading, writing and music. Being female is what I am.

ronna
01-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Not a hobby. It's an addiction!

Wendy me
01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Wendy as a hobby ?? lets see can i see her as a hobby??? no not really a hobby .....how abought a escape ??? possibly that could just be .... or something else? well thats closer to it... more so the balance in my life she is were i go when i want to be me ... free from anything "HE" dose as complected as it is this is my balance ....

susie evans
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
karren
has the right idea and boy is it a lot of fun:heehee:

Kristen Kelly
01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
The minute I put those high heel clad tootsies out side the door it went from a hobby to a lifestyle.

1) No longer am I happy with my present wardrobe, I can’t be seen in the same thing time and again, must get out and shop.

2) I want to be a smaller size so I diet to drop the pounds.

3) Not happy with going to TG friendly places only, I work on my voice and refine my look.

4) Repeat #1

This is a never ending cycle which I have found to be a pleasure.

ShannonDragon
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Hobby??? I think calling CDing a hobby is right up there with calling homosexuality a choice.

Why would anyone choose something that they know is going to make a fair number of other people dislike, hate, kill (fill in your own word) you?

I don't ever remember telling myself, "I think I'll be a CD!", it was just there!

:tongueout

Kandi
01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Cding is definatly a hobby or pastime for me. I do not wish to become woman permanantly just occasionally. The more special the occasion the better!!

Amanda Jane
01-09-2007, 09:29 PM
being forced to choose i always pick the 'or what' just to see what happens

Charleen
01-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Hobby??? I think calling CDing a hobby is right up there with calling homosexuality a choice.

Why would anyone choose something that they know is going to make a fair number of other people dislike, hate, kill (fill in your own word) you?

I don't ever remember telling myself, "I think I'll be a CD!", it was just there!

:tongueout

I agree whole heartedly!!!!! It's who I am, not something I consciously chose to do like making model cars, writing, reading, or basket weaving!

trannie T
01-09-2007, 10:12 PM
As a hobby it beats model airplanes, although I enjoy the buzz from the glue. For me though it goes beyond being a hobby, crossdressing is one of the things that define my identity.

Lanore
01-10-2007, 06:48 AM
This is my lifestyle. As my body moves from male to female so goes my mind. It's been that way for a long time, and I love the changes. I keep the male around for some things, just can't remember what they are sometimes.

Lanore

Angie G
01-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Marla all of the above :hugs:
Angie

Tiffy
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
For me it left hobby when I was 16. I put a gun to my head and tried to kill myself. I have sat in the corner in the dark and cried for hours. I have spent years hating myself. Trying to be something else. So no it is not a hobby it is life.

Tiffy

P.S. - Any crossdresser I know has said that they have battled depression and even suicide thoughts. How the heck can that be a hobby? Would you blow your head off for a freakin model train? I think not..........

Danigyrl29
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
A totally obsessive, uncontrollable hobby in the continuing pursuit of absolutely passing as a female. Do not want to live as one, just want to pass as one sometimes. Don't know why...other than it feels good.

Bluebird GG
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Marla if dressing is avenue for u to feel better during bad times, thats a good thing, u should continue to embrace it, dressing for some is like a feel good pill if u will its give the person a feel of euphroia, so i say take it as a continue hobby or take it too the next level whatever that might be for u.:hugs:

Rachaelb64
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Hobby? Obsession? Escapism? An ex girlfriend of mine called it my whim.

Maybe it the some part of all of these things...........

But we have fought our own personal angst over crossdressing.

Or maybe we are trying to answer the a question nobody ask yet!

Why is a big question.............

reneeisy
01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
For me, crossdressing is a sexual experience which allows me to escape reality and work on my hobby, which is applying lipstick!

CalvinKlein
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
It is what It is...

How do you like that answer?