PDA

View Full Version : Talking of Shaving...

pocoyo
01-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Ok so I sometimes have that thing... a bit of a moustache. Obviously it's a fine girly/young boyish one, and is rather noticable because on one side it's dark. Obviously as a girl this isn't too attractive (although nobody seems to notice) and as a boy it will hinder my "passing".

Every now and then I will attempt to wax it off with those tiny strips but it never turns out right (I'm sooo bad at it) and some fur is always left. This is of course a bit annoying for passing as most 20-something lads do not have a fluffy lip (although my friend has a peach-fuzzy face and has never shaved yet and he's like 27). I tried to get someone to help me the other day but it was a disaster and I hated them advancing on me with the wax strip when I told them not to and they ended up really hurting me and still not getting totally rid of the hair.

At the moment (after that most recent failed waxing thing) there are some fractured strands left which does fortunately look a little stubblish but usually it just looks naff.

So what I want to ask is... well a few things:

1) Should I shave it so I can get rid of it properly? My mum always says to girls "Don't ever shave your lip as it will grow back thicker... you must always wax it." ... is this true?? (I suspect so).
I don't know whether I will transition or not, and if I am stuck being a girl I want to be the best looking girl I can be and not one with a hairy lip! But this leads me on to...

2) If I keep waxing will it damage the follicles so that when (if) I transition stubble won't grow properly there? Or is it just plucking that damages the follicle?

3) Naturally I really want to shave and stuff anyway but this may well be best saved until I transition and am on T. Should I just carry on as I am for now?

Wow us transgender folk do have strange problems to contend with lol!!

Tree GG
01-09-2007, 04:40 PM
If plucking or waxing damages the follicles and prevents hair from growing on your upper lip, then someone owes me a refund 'cause it ain't workin'. Neither have prevented the upper lip hair from growing back just as quickly as it wants to (perimenopausal here), so I wouldn't worry about burning that bridge by using either method.

The shaving will make the hair grow in coarser (most times darker as well). I'd forgo that option until you've decided for sure.

Waxing definitely gives a smoother finish, but it's probably worth the money the have a professional do it. Home kits I have found leave sticky residue and require repeated "rippings" to get all the hair.

P.S. Next time, make sure your "friend" isn't S&M before you let them near you with waxing strips :devil: :heehee: Hope you're OK.

CaptLex
01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
If plucking or waxing damages the follicles and prevents hair from growing on your upper lip, then someone owes me a refund 'cause it ain't workin'.
I'm guessing that may be why my eyebrows won't grow in, though. And, now that I think about it, my upper lip hair is pretty sparse (especially compared to the rest of my facial hair), so maybe that's what happened there too. I guess it could be an individual thing.

pocoyo
01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the help! I thought a GG might be good at this one!

If plucking or waxing damages the follicles and prevents hair from growing on your upper lip, then someone owes me a refund 'cause it ain't workin'. Neither have prevented the upper lip hair from growing back just as quickly as it wants to (perimenopausal here), so I wouldn't worry about burning that bridge by using either method.

The shaving will make the hair grow in coarser (most times darker as well). I'd forgo that option until you've decided for sure.
Ok I won't shave now then... (even though I secretly want to!! hehe)

Waxing definitely gives a smoother finish, but it's probably worth the money the have a professional do it. Home kits I have found leave sticky residue and require repeated "rippings" to get all the hair.
Yes that's exactly what happens to me. And I still never manage to get it completely bald!

P.S. Next time, make sure your "friend" isn't S&M before you let them near you with waxing strips :devil: :heehee: Hope you're OK.

Hah! I will be more careful with letting people try helping me out with it in the future!

I'm guessing that may be why my eyebrows won't grow in, though. And, now that I think about it, my upper lip hair is pretty sparse (especially compared to the rest of my facial hair), so maybe that's what happened there too. I guess it could be an individual thing.

Eeeeek!! So maybe I should just put up with the moustache for now....