PDA

View Full Version : First Electrolysis

Tamera
01-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Well today was my first elecrolysis. It was not the needle or probe type. They put a salve on your skin to draw the electric current. Then through a device that they rub on your skin they feed the electric current. After that she put on a warm towel to soften the hairs. She had a topical ointment that was put on to help numb the area (It did work but only for a very short time). After that she started pulling the hairs. We did half of my upper lip(which was tender) and part of my chin. All this including the time to wipe my eyes for they ran a lot took about an hour. I have another appointment next week. I did not shave for 4 days but she said I could narrow it down to 2 for maybe the waxing would be more effective after the electric treatment. She put vitamin E and Aloe on afterwards. Some hairs came easily and some were not so friendly. She told me how some people have their backs, legs, eyebrows and bikini area done(OUCH). I will tell you there is some discomfort it all depends on your tolerence for pain and your determination to have this done. I don't like the discomfort but I am determined, thats why I'm going back next week. I'm sure it will be a long process but if I would have had this done when I was going through puberty when the hairs were not so course it would have been much easier. I hope this answers many of your questions you may have, if not, feel free to ask.

Samantha Jane Foster
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi Tamera-- I'm considering doing laser hair removal on my face but does that work do you know and is it safe? May I ask how much it is costing you to do electrolysis on your face?

Tamera
01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
The lady who did my face said she knows someone who does the laser treatments. They are more expensive and she goes about 3 times a year. Each time the hairs are less and less. My treatment for an hour was $32.00 it usually is about $50.00 but being my first time and the discomfort I had she charged about half. Because of the discomfort level I had I'm going to do 1/2 hour appointments until my pain tolerence builds up or until we get into areas that are not so sensative.

Tamera
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I've tried plucking some facial hair myself. Wow it hurts... and I don't have a heavy beard. That sounds great! I wonder is there is anything that you could buy that would safely numb the face to do this yourself?

Thanks for posting your experience!

I beleive a dermatoigist would have something probably by prescription. And I am sure that if they can numb your gums with a gel sold over the counter(I can't think of the name right now) there must be something else. I told the lady that worked on me "To bad you can't put me to sleep and do my whole face".

Sally24
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
If you're ever possibly going to consider electrolysis then you shouldn't pluck facial hairs. What happens is that over time the folical gets damaged and weaker. It makes it very hard to remove entirely with electrolysis.

I've been having electrolysis for the past 6 months in the Boston area. They charge around $60 an hour. Even with a mild beard like mine, it will probably take over a year to eliminate most of it. Laser is quicker, more expensive, and NOT permanent. Hairs can start coming back from laser in around 2 years.

Sally

Scotty
01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm glad you posted your experience.
I've been considering it, even before I found out who and what i am - just because I hate hair on my face and hate shaving.

WIth all that I spend on razors (Sensitive face requires very sharp razors) I did the math and it should be paid off in 11 years.

I am definitely going for it, need to get some finances taken care of as I just paid for tuition.

Very glad to hear it went well, sounds like it went well!!!

So if they do the area, do they come back and do it again and again for a few times? Or does it get all of the hairs from that area?

I so want to get thsi done, please keep posting as you go back, this might motivate me to at least get started with my chest hairs (what little there are).

Ellie
01-11-2007, 07:57 PM
While I have never tried electrolysis I used to get laser hair reduction on my face. It cost about $150 per treatment and I should be doing it 3-6 times a year but I just don't have the cash right now. Maybe I should switch over to electrolysis since it is about 1/3 the cost.

alisoncdnj
01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I am also thinking about starting electrolysis. I am concerned about what to expect the days following a treatment redness, bumps etc... If anyone who is having it done could PM me I would appreciate hearing about your experiences before I try it.

Thank and Hugs

Alison

Sharon
01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Small world -- my first appointment for electrolysis was today also. I'm having traditional electrolysis, however, not the type you're having done.

I really handled the pain well, much to my surprise, and I'll be increasing the length of my appointments to two hours starting next week. Of course, I popped two Advil before going. :happy:

The difference in just one appointment is amazing. She concentrated on my upper chin and mostly stayed in that area, excepting for a bit here and there below my nostrils(I asked her to do these since they're so difficult for me to shave). It's money well spent in my opinion, and I just wish I started this when I first decided that this was something I wanted to do.