PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance

bi_weird
01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Mmm so I was thinking. That many straight cisgendered people don't get the rest of the world is a given. I've met gays who think straights are dirty (one really could be called "heterophobic"). Lesbians tend to feel that bi's and transpeople are selling out. And then just now I was on AVEN checking out the possibility of trans asexuals, and there was the usual AVEN talk about sexuals, that we're all obsessed with sex. One person even had a signature that was computerspeak, but would be read in English "If a person is asexual, their relationships are about friendship and romance. If a person is sexual then their relationships are about sex."
You know what? This may just be about the only group I've found who's cool with everything. Well okay, we haven't had a lot of furries or something more exotic like that. But it seems like all of us are really cool with every sort of queer we encounter. I have to say, you guys are amazing for that. This is a lovely little corner of the internet we've staked out for ourselves, and it's the most inclusive and understanding one I've seen yet.
(I in no way mean to say that everyone else sucks and we rock. There are good and bad apples in every group. I'm just realizing that this forum has an amazingly high percentage of good apples.)

Tamara Croft
01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Well.... I agree, we rock, everyone else sucks :tongueout

It's just a nice corner on the internet, were you can just be who you want to be and no one cares ;)

pocoyo
01-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah you're so right! Transpeople & their supportive partners/friends (esp the people I've "met" on this site!) seem to be some of the nicest people in the universe!!!
Probably because they've had to question and learn about themselves and how it feels when people don't respect them/their friends/family members etc etc.
Lucky us :)

Kate Simmons
01-11-2007, 04:34 PM
You've got that right Bi. Nicest group of "queers" I ever met. At least we're trying to understand all the issues and each other. Kind of makes me wonder just who the "normal" people really are sometimes.:happy:

pocoyo
01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Kind of makes me wonder just who the "normal" people really are sometimes.:happy:
Me too!!!

Madeleine
01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I feel at home here and I'm 5,000 miles away!

A great bunch of folks here ( I'm trying to speak American by the way!)

Madeleine in the UK...

Kimberley
01-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Proof positive that there is intelligent life in our universe. As you said Bi, no guarantees in other galaxies. Beam me up Pocs....

:hugs:
Kimberley

ZenFrost
01-12-2007, 01:20 AM
I agree with most of the stuff you said about this site being really great and accepting (especially for the T in LGBTIQQ) but I think you were being a little too general when you said...

Lesbians tend to feel that bi's and transpeople are selling out.

Of all the (very) many lesbians I've known I've never met one that thought bisexuals and transpeople were sellouts. I've met some who were frustrated when straight people claimed to be bi only to experiment, and changed their minds after entering a relationship in which the lesbians were emotionally attached. As for transpeople, I've always seen lesbians support them because many of the butch ones like to CD. I'm not saying there aren't any lesbians that don't like bisexuals or transpeople, but I don't think it's the majority that are that way and that's sort of how you made it sound.

mylitta
01-12-2007, 07:13 AM
You've got that right Bi. Nicest group of "queers" I ever met. At least we're trying to understand all the issues and each other. Kind of makes me wonder just who the "normal" people really are sometimes.:happy:

Is there such a thing as 'normal' ? I think there's just people really. and the best sort are those who can learn from each other and be accepting of differences and celebrate their unique qualities. But I might not know what I'm talking about!

Kieron Andrew
01-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Of all the (very) many lesbians I've known I've never met one that thought bisexuals and transpeople were sellouts. I've met some who were frustrated when straight people claimed to be bi only to experiment, and changed their minds after entering a relationship in which the lesbians were emotionally attached. As for transpeople, I've always seen lesbians support them because many of the butch ones like to CD. I'm not saying there aren't any lesbians that don't like bisexuals or transpeople, but I don't think it's the majority that are that way and that's sort of how you made it sound.
thats how it is in my world! all the friends i have had that are lesbian since i came out as trans dont bother to speak to me cos they dont accept it, they think im selling out of the lesbian community cos thats how ive presented for over 10years, gay men however have accepted me more so with open arms, so i have agree with Bi's statement

Shelly Preston
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Well.... I agree, we rock, everyone else sucks :tongueout

It's just a nice corner on the internet, were you can just be who you want to be and no one cares ;)

I agree we all care enough to let people be who they are :hugs:

Marcie Sexton
01-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I must say that you're exactly right...there are a fine group of people here, I suppose that why I'm still here...

For some sad reason, my generation < baby boomers > have had to take a half century give or take to learn tolerance...Thank God for growing older and wiser...

I suppose we all need to take a deep breath and enjoy what has been given us and appreciate it for what they are...Personally speaking I consider everything/one good until I'm shown that they aren't...maybe its the fairer gender coming out in me...all for the best I might add...

bi_weird
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Okay yeah totally didn't mean to say that most lesbians don't like trans or bi people. I don't really know enough to give a good percentage, I just know that at least some feel that way, but no idea how big that portion is. A lot of that feeling stems from my experience here where I felt like I was being a "bad bisexual" because I was dating a guy.
Wow, it's hard to type that in past tense. We broke up last night.

great gg
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM
breaking up is painful. sorry to hear that! and we know darn good and well that pain and disappointment and sadness and all that goes with relationships (as well as all the good stuff when they work) is not gender related. when two souls meet, two souls meet. and when they part, iit hurts. sending you cyber hugs.

wabnaok
01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Bi, you are right about this group. I believe those that show a lack of acceptance of those who they see as different typically have an issue with themselves. This group seems to be comfortable with themselves.

Kimberley
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Okay yeah totally didn't mean to say that most lesbians don't like trans or bi people. I don't really know enough to give a good percentage, I just know that at least some feel that way, but no idea how big that portion is. A lot of that feeling stems from my experience here where I felt like I was being a "bad bisexual" because I was dating a guy.
Wow, it's hard to type that in past tense. We broke up last night.

Bi, I dont know who would pull off statements like that; it is totally ridiculous and no one's business but yours and yours alone. I guess these others still havent figured out that sexuality and gender are two different entities.

Kimberley

Robin Leigh
01-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I've never been too comfortable revealing my TG side to gay guys or lesbians, although some have been ok with it. Bi people tend to be the most accepting.

Wow, it's hard to type that in past tense. We broke up last night. I'm so sorry to hear that, bi_. :( Can I give you a hug? :hugs: :bighug:

I was beginning to get a bad feeling over this when you didn't give us any updates in the other thread.

At least you have this forum, so you don't have to suffer alone. We love you for who you are.

Robin

Kimberley
01-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Bi,
I was just thinking about you and hoping you are doing okay.

Kimberley

bi_weird
01-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the support guys. I'm surviving so far, looking for things to get better soon.

Abraxas
01-13-2007, 07:40 PM
They will, Bi. It's always the first little while that's the hardest. Chin up!

pocoyo
01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah definitely. In time you will feel so much better :) :hugs: