PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrow woes

cindychan
01-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Ok the deal is I got rather thick brows, and it's usually a give away that I'm male. Whats the best way to make them look fem? I thought about shaving them or getting them plucked. Would people make a big notice about them, like at work. What are you experinces on this ladies? I keep thinking of the police academy movie ware the bad cop loses his brows and everyone making fun of him. I wanna look good but not made fun of either.

sterling12
01-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Yes they would notice, especially if you previously looked like The late Leonid Brezhnev!

No matter what your eyebrows looked like before, shave them completely off....they are gonna notice!

So what to do? My opinion is go to a local unisex salon and tell them that you are uncomfortable with your bushy eyebrows and your want them "thinned". Explain that you don't want to look obvious or downright girly but you would like a better arch and more symmetry. If you have the dreaded "unibrow", they can take care of that too.

Get this done properly, you'll be happier, the gal who does the job will be happier, cause' she got some of your money, and if you had unibrow, your co-workers will be happier, They won't have to look at The Caterpillar each day!

Is this a plan, or what? If their still a little thick, pretend your Drew Barrymore!

Peace and Love, Joanie

cindychan
01-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Well I got no unibrow, just a wide thick, two sectional ( feel like i'm talking about furniture here;). Thanks for the advise though. Is there like a latex strip or something that could just out right cover the brows?

lynda jane hamilton
01-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Many years ago I had a Dennis Healey (only UK girls of a certain age know what I mean LOL) unibrow. At my SO's request (who has no idea of the girl within!) I began slowly removing the middle section so I had two brows. Slowly, slowly I began to pluck them slightly and thin them out (always pluck under the brow never on top). More recently I have begun to arch them slightly more and more until now with an eyebrow pencil I can curve them into a nice arched femme shape. With an eyebrow pencil do not "crayon" them in Groucho Marx style but rather with short hair length strokes along the top section of your brow and finish longer than your own brow in a nice tapered line. I always use a light brown pencil and a brush Rimmel (UK) works fine for me. With light reflecting eye shadow (Beige or white - don't go too heavy) under the brow bone and finishing your foundation close to the brow both over and under this lifts them even further.

As I 've got older my eyebrow hairs grow inversly proportional to the hairs on my head. Carefully using scissors I trim them once or twice a week to as short as I dare/can go.

Twice last year my SO treated me to a facial at her salon. The beautician asked if I wanted my brows waxed. I jumped at the chance and she completed the job I've been doing over a number of years. Now I have masculine brows when I mess them up and when brushed in the right direction and coloured they can become very girlie when the need arises.

Over all the time I have been doing this no-one but no-one has noticed or even asked if I pluck or shave my eyebrows (not too bad for a girl in the closet who needs a miners lamp (Karen Hutton have you a spare?!) to find her way out!) - go with it girl!

LOL

Lyndaxx

Lady Jayne
01-13-2007, 05:42 AM
I bought a hair trimmer, you know the type of thing the barber uses to shave your head. I use it with a blade 2 which is about 6mm to trim my brows. It tidys them up nicley without making them look overly femme nobody noticed when I started doing mine. If yours are particularly hairy I would start a little longer and gradualy trim them over a month or two at first. Once they are tidy it is just a matter of maintainence.

Amanda Shaft
01-13-2007, 06:18 AM
I've been plucking my brows for a while now and have got them real thin. My SO dosen't know about the cding but has never noticed or at least never said anything, niether has anyone else. When I look at my plucked brows or my shaved legs I think oh my God! it'll notice, but everyone else just fails to see as thier just as worried about thier own foybles. What I mean is we look at ourselves a lot harder than anyone else does! So start working on them, take it steady and slowly get them to where you want them and no one will know or worry!
Keep the faith, Amanda

Kelsy
01-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I've been thinning my brows for a while now. I pluck and shape my brows but for obvoius reasons i didn't want to make a radical change that everyone would notice so I've worked on them over time and no one seems to notice. Sometimes I will get a little bit of a double take from people who haven't seen me for a while but even at that, they can't really remember the size of my eyebrows. Of course the effect of having thin shaped eyebrows really feminizes your face.:D

Just do it!!

Jennifer:heehee:

Karren H
01-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Here is what I did.....first start plucking a few hairs a day.....on each brow, from the bottom only... every day. Ad slowly work them down to a thinish, femish shape and thickness... If you do it slowly then no one not even your SO wil notice... Mine didnt and still hasnt and it's been 3 years... lol But keep the length of each individual hair longer so you can muss them up for male mode. Then when you want to go enfemme, trim them shorter with a some clippers with a depth guide and/or use some clear mascara to align and hold them inplace...

Works great...

Love Karren

Gyneka
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I have the same problem with my eyebrows, coming from a Mediterranean country you can imagine the picture. However, I have managed to shape them quite nicely compared to what they were a year ago. Yes, changes to eyebrows are usually very noticeable, my SO noticed the first day I've started plucking!!! So my advice is going very slow with changes. Going slow it gave me the time and patience to achieve and developed the look that suited me the best. Mind you I am still working on the shape every other day. Clear mascara definitely helps!!

Kristen Kelly
01-13-2007, 01:34 PM
We are in the era of the metro sexual so a lot of what we do now is not so uncommon.

Just go for it. I had a woman at work just before NYE ask me, "Oh my god what have you done you look great" now I have lost 40 lbs been on a skin care trip, really does wonders, thinned my eyebrows, let my hair grow out (lucky to have a full head of brown hair at my age) and had it hightlighted. Then asked me to a NYE party. I love the way I look in drab, as well as dressed and it shows in the way I act.
Don't care what others think do it for you and be happy.

wannabie
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok the deal is I got rather thick brows, and it's usually a give away that I'm male. Whats the best way to make them look fem? I thought about shaving them or getting them plucked. Would people make a big notice about them, like at work. What are you experinces on this ladies? I keep thinking of the police academy movie ware the bad cop loses his brows and everyone making fun of him. I wanna look good but not made fun of either.

You should pick up Kevyn Aucoin book making faces. he talks about eyebrows making a difference and offers a gender neutral type of shape for a brow. there are pictures in there that will amaze you.

EricaCD
01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
General idea in this thread is the right one: thin them out gradually over time, either with clippers (the cheapo ones that are sold for use on bikini lines with a little bitty clipping end are perfect) or tweezers if you are into it. If you do this over a few weeks nobody will notice. Good luck! Erica

Trinni
01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
If you do what everyone has said and pluck them slowly and gradually, that is the way to go.

sammantha_flowers
01-13-2007, 05:06 PM
find a wax and apply it to the hair you want to hide...
it will flatten them and sort of stick them down. after you have them matted down and smoothed.. you can apply a matte finish powder and then draw in your brows using small indiviula stokes and contouring to your taste and bone structure...
when your done the wax will clean off and you still have your brows
Now while you can still clean up your man brows.. you dont have to go super thin or arched to get the effect you want.