PDA

View Full Version : FTM Question -- When you were a child....

Tamara Croft
01-14-2007, 01:00 PM
I'd like only the FTM's to answer this question please ;)

When you were a child, how did your mum or dad or whoever raised you, dress you?? What kind of clothes did they buy you to wear and how did wearing those clothes make you feel??

pocoyo
01-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Well basically I just wore stuff like jeans and a t shirt & a checked shirt. Mum sometimes wanted me to wear dresses apparently but I'd kick up a fuss and didn't want to. I felt comfortable in the T shirts and jeans.

Adam
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Well after 4 boys when i came along my mum wanted to do that hole put her in a dress thing i hated it but never the less i see it made her happy but once i reached about 8 years old i got real upset if she tryed to dress me in a dress so after that she never did :) so for the rest of my growning up i got to wear what i wanted that was mostly jeans and T shirts :D

Abraxas
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
My mum dressed me really frilly when I was a baby, but when I got to the age of about 3 or 4 and started dressing myself I always picked out sweats and such. Of course, I was still going to church at that point and so had to wear a dress once a week, and then I was enrolled in a private school when I was 8 and had to wear skirts 2 more days a week (although by this point I was allowed to pick which clothes I wanted to buy, and it was always boys' jeans and t-shirts). I threw a lot of tantrums over dresses. When I was 12 I went back to a public school and quit going to church. In high school I was in choirs and had to wear dresses occasionally, which I hated but dealt with it because I loved singing.
I wonder if it's any coincidence that my mum says I was a horrible child between the ages of 8 and 12. Hmmmm.

bi_weird
01-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Haha always hand me downs from my brothers or (usually male) cousins. I hated dresses because they were so impractical and who wants frills?

Abraxas
01-14-2007, 07:21 PM
True-- you can't play sports or climb trees in a dress.

CaptLex
01-15-2007, 07:42 AM
When you were a child, how did your mum or dad or whoever raised you, dress you?? What kind of clothes did they buy you to wear and how did wearing those clothes make you feel??
My mom did the frilly, ruffled, lacy thing too - ugh! I hated it, my sister loved it. I was rarely allowed to choose something myself, and even then I was over-ruled by my parents if they didn't like it. In fact, my dad had strong opinions about not wanting to see women in pants, but my mom over-ruled him there, since she's always been more comfy in them, so we got to wear jeans sometimes. It wasn't really until I was 14 and could earn my own cash that I could buy my own clothes without anyone else's approval. That was a great year!

Felix
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I can't remember much about when I was really young although I reckon my mum had me in dresses of skirts and stuff. I always wanted to wear jeans or trousers
nothing fancy and when I did wear dresses or skirts it was only for my parents to keep the peace cos my dress sense caused a lot of arguments. I did try to be womanly but never felt right. I always felt clumsy somehow does that make sense to anyone? xx Felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
stopped wearing dresses when i was 7.....only skirt i ever wore was a school skirt and that was til 16 after that always wore jeans & mens tops......my excuse they fit better

John
01-16-2007, 06:01 PM
My mum did the whole skirts n' frills thing, until I was about... 7, I think, when I announced I was going to be Rodin Hood when I grew up and had my hair cut short. They really should have known...

After that my mum let me where pretty much what I wanted (same with the hair), though my step-mother is still trying to get me into dresses.

pocoyo
01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I did try to be womanly but never felt right. I always felt clumsy somehow does that make sense to anyone?

Oh yes, it so does. I have always felt clumsy and foolish around girls.
Like I was really awkward or stupid or ... well...something!

And about trying to be girly...when I dressed up trying to be girly it didn't feel quite right. The only rightness there was the feeling attractive and liking the attention of knowing "that person likes the way I look, and it's making them smile and look at me"... in the same way that I would enjoy it as a feminine gay man....

I think the feeling clumsy thing could well be to do with my being transgender... the feeling like an outsider around other girls type thing. (Which I totally, totally do and always have done... thank you for reminding me.. the pieces are slotting together!)

Mind you... recently I talked to a seemingly very female friend of mine and she said she has felt that clumsy thing too. So perhaps it's unrelated and just a self-esteem thing. Or... maybe the self esteem thing is because of the transgender thing in my case, and something different in her case but the symptoms present as the same clumsy feeling... OR maybe... just maybe she is transgendered too :p Hehehe.. too much thinking for this time of night!!

I'm off to make an ovaltine ... :heehee:

[Edit:

when I announced I was going to be Rodin Hood when I grew up

Haha! I've always loved Robin Hood too... I wanted to be like the cartoon, fox version of Robin Hood... his voice is so cool! And he doesn't look bad either... for a fox, hahaha! Gets up to some great adventures, and fights well too. Ahhh, what a cool guy. :daydreaming:]

Dasein9
01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
I'd like only the FTM's to answer this question please ;)

My mom sewed clothes for me when I was small. Some were quite ghastly. Others were kind of fun. She did make me two frontier girl dresses for church. The blue was the Mary dress and the brown was the Laura dress. (Little House In The Big Woods reference) I didn't mind them, since they were like costumes.

But most of the time we fought when we went shopping. On two different occasions, she even left me at the mall and I had to find my own way home. One of those involved a bug in her ear about getting me a bathing suit. I was even fatter as a kid than I am now, and that whole trip was just a humiliationfest. Shopping for my first bra was even worse. She took me to a specialty shop, and the woman who measured me felt me up! (I was about 10 or 11.)

When I found something that fit, I'd just get several, in different colours. So I'd have the same corduroys in brown, tan, blue, and black. And oxford cloth shirts. I was around 9 when Mom found some Toughskins jeans and a t-shirt on sale in the boys' department. I loved those jeans!

So... mostly t-shirts, button-down shirts and jeans and that sort of thing.

ZenFrost
01-17-2007, 04:41 AM
My mother put me in dresses and other girls clothes. I got a lot of hand-me-downs from my older sister.

Then I got to high school and she (finally) let my choose my clothes... and then my older sister started getting hand-me-downs from me. (I wound up getting bigger than her so my old small clothes fit her.) Funny how that worked out.

John
01-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Haha! I've always loved Robin Hood too... I wanted to be like the cartoon, fox version of Robin Hood... his voice is so cool!

That's the one I wanted to be!! Yeah, he rocked...

jsoto81
01-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Like everyone else here, my mom tried putting me in dresses. She said even before I was a year old I'd throw a fit when I was put in them. We have one picture around the house of me in a dress and I'm obviously not happy, I feel claustrophobic in them and it gets hard to breath and I have to take them off as quickly as possible. For Halloween I always dressed up as He-Man (that should have tipped them off), Zorro, and Superman.

When I was old enough to actually voice my opinion on what I wanted to wear it was always boys clothes. I can't wait for the latest H&M to open near my work so I can find more adult clothes to wear, cause I'm 5"1' it's hard to shop at most conventional mens shops.