PDA

View Full Version : Profiling

Mary Morgan
01-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Has anyone come across a source that has an in depth profile of the transgender? I'm wondering what common factors, if any may exist. For example, left-handedness, right-brain dominate, first-born, siblings, absent father, the list could go on and on. Surely somewhere along the way, someone has looked at these factors in our nature and nurture.

Cyndi06
01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
When you find out.....PUH-LEEEEASE let me know

I don't think there is an answer

FROCKYHORROR
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Index finger longer than middle finger..left hand

Marla S
01-16-2007, 11:03 AM
If there is a single (fundamental) reason for TG, all the factors you mentioned are not worth a lot, because noone of us has them all and not all who have them are TG.

Your actual question: No, sorry, no link.

Amanda Jane
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
lots of guesses / lots of theories / piles of stories / no science

Jennaie
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
The answer to your question is that there is no definitive criteria for being transgendered. We all wish there were, since we all often question why.

pinkshelly
01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Funny you should bring the sterio types up.
Im a Crossdresser/T.G. conservitve Republican( still Bush does piss me off lately), With a father who was there all my life (still is), father of a 10yr old daughter. I listen to Rush AND dr. Laura(right now its Temle of the Dog). My left middle finger is longer that my index. Oh what else shatters the tranny mith, thats me, But I soooo want to be a girl. Kinda funny hu.

Mary Morgan
01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, I guess the answer is some have looked and found little or nothing. That's fine. I am not trying to find a cause of put us in boxes, more interested in the common ground, but perhaps there is not much. I am a father, Army veteran, public servant (law enforcewment - retired) married most of my life, social moderate, fiscal conservative, libertarian, and love my family and my transgenderness. Thank you for your comments

JoAnnDallas
01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
There is two common item that we all share. First we were all born as a male. Second we all love to wear fem clothing. Other than that, I have not found any other common item.

Kate Simmons
01-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I agree with Marla Hon. Other than the fact that it seems this is who we were "meant to be", I've found very little commonality.:happy:

susie evans
01-16-2007, 12:56 PM
i don't no what causes the things we go through but after acepting the fact is wasn't going way and just doing what i feel is good for me life has been much better:heehee: :heehee:
susie

Samantha Jane Foster
01-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I often wonder about the notion of feeling like a woman trapped in a man's body. Or what it means to "think like a woman." Because if I were to take a lot of estrogen, it would affect my brain, and the way I think, as well as my appearance. So in that sense the brain is just another part of the body, like the hands. And just as I wish my hands were smoother with no hair on them or big veins, and a different composition of chemicals could change that, so would my more "masculine mindset" be changed if I had the same brain chemicals that women have. And of course society has certain expectations of women which they might feel obligated to live up to (i.e. being more thoughtful, having good manners), and what we consider feminine might be just that most dreadful of things-- a generalization.

Marla S
01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, I guess the answer is some have looked and found little or nothing. That's fine. I am not trying to find a cause of put us in boxes, more interested in the common ground, but perhaps there is not much.
Well there is this "prenatal hormon wash hypothesis" - some cells are linked GG-like in a male's brain, due to an estrogene flush or a lack of testosterone during brain developement.
It is charming, because it is a bit of a "pressure relief" (personal and society wise) because it's nobody's "fault".
And it is charming in that, that most of the factors you mentioned and the overal personal situation (religious family or not, growing up in a rural or urban area, education, etc.) could be the causes why we all live it in fairly different ways.

sara_also
01-17-2007, 09:15 PM
I have asked myself why many times..always the same answer "I don't know"
I just like it, so I do it. Akin to hunting or fishing or sking or hiking, you get the idea.

Jannette H
01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Read it somewhere a couple of years ago but that's been it. In the early 80's when I was in college a sociology course had cross dressers (us) going up a road to a crossroad in life where we decided if we are going to be Gay (drag queens) or the other road to GRS (transsexuals). We were not to stay at the crossroad for a long time. Someone had us all figured out. This book was written before I got there. I found it in the research library. There was almost nothing on cross dressing at that time 1981. The locale VA Hosp. tried a study on CDs and TSs I was part of that's about it OH yes the course at college was Soc 270 Deviance and Social Disorganisation :straightface:

Karren H
01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah..... dressing like a girl!! That's a biggy!!! :D

Karren

Jannette H
01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
The one thing we all have in common is that we have HEART's...who can really know it and catagorize it but each of us individually.

You are so right Thank You Erinwoodrose Great answer :bighug:

SandyR
01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Louise,

I think its something common in thinking patterns. I look at your profile and pics, and I say "thats a classy lady". Don't know if there are patterns, but I know for me it started early, about the minute I hitted puberty. Its all good!

Huggs.

SandyR