PDA

View Full Version : This has really changed travel!!!

Sejd
01-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi sisters
This is my first trip away from home when I have been able to connect with all of you and not feel completely lost. Have any of you had the same experience?
being abroad and having this whole wonderful CD community at your fingertips? I just love it, and now I know that as long as I have the internet (and it's not thanks to Al gore) I can be in contact with this fantastic group of people no matterr where in the world I am .
thanks all
:love: :straightface: :love:
Sejd

Amanda Jane
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
best thing I've ever bought in my life was my iBook, no doubt - just sorry I did not go the Apple route years ago, working (or more like it, not working) with windows seems so silly now

and Al gets a bad rap for that, he never claimed that he invented it, he wrote the law that opened up the old ARPANET to the public, without that you could never have got on the thing without a DOD/DOE clearance, but hey why belive me....

According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today." For sure, without Mosaic there were be no WWW as we know it, no Google. Without Mosaic there were be no way to search except to go page by page. It would have been like having a libarary that was nothing but pages, with no books, no index, no card catalog.

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country."

Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from people about Al and about inventing the Internet? Look at what he did, and ask if all this would be happening if he had not taken the lead in providing funding and access?

Of course we are better off with the guy the other side put in charge who last year said:

I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why?

Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially...

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.

It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Tubes? An internet? The guy in charge of regulating this does not even know the term "email"? Darn lucky we didn't get old Al. For sure on that. It would not have been nearly as amusing as what we have now.

Sejd
01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
OK, so I'll give ol' Al a hug too!!!! Take the foot out of my mouth and bite my pillow. Anyway, Thanks god for the internet (you too al) and good night from Holland. :-)
Sejd

Amanda Jane
01-19-2007, 05:14 PM
night dear, I've been to that wonderful place twice, can't remember either time - something about the coffee houses I think