PDA

View Full Version : Security Breach?????

lady lycra
01-27-2005, 06:59 AM
I was just trawling my posts looking to reply to a quetion by Dana, when I re -read this post
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67853#post67853

The picture of what my netball kit looks like has been replaced by a fat man in a leotard.
This has been altered on the hosting site, not this one.

Also this morning, I couldn't access this forum for about 30 minutes or more.

Is this coincidence?
It seems strange that the only pic I used from that sportswear site has been altered to a fat bloke in a leotard, with "I'm so sexy" written over it.

After my concerns about pictures this is only making things worse.

Anyone have any ideas?

Linda

Sharon
01-27-2005, 07:14 AM
It must be those damn photo gremlins playing games again. They've done this to every photo I've posted also. :mad:

lady lycra
01-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks Sharon, re they doing this to pics hosted on this site or only on pics hosted on other sites.
To be perfectly honest, it's scaring the crap out of me!!!!

Linda

Ariel_TV
01-27-2005, 07:24 AM
Did you ask permission to link to that site image? This is a common pratice when people link to a image without permission they replace the image with something tasteless. They do that because they dont like people using theyre bandwith to show images on another site.

lady lycra
01-27-2005, 07:46 AM
This was my first thought, but surely, they would ahve just removed the image.
The image they have used is a poor reflection of their company.
Surely an "image not available" tag would have been more suitable.

It's strange that we had the outage just before I noticed the change. This could of course be coinkerdink.

They must have some pretty good site traffic monitoring going on, if they noticed the few extra hits from this site.

Linda

Maria2004
01-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Most commercial sites detest direct linking of simple photos as it nibbles away their monthly bandwidth, and their tracking cookies and spyware goes nowhere. It seems team-colours.co.uk didn't like being linked to a CD site and any access from a remote host is logged. I'm not a computer expert by any stretch, but from what I understand of networking, it would be no big deal to check the log files and get the ip of this site and check it out. Then the tech on their end just changed the photo on "their" server that you had linked to to "punish" you for being a naughty person linking to their site. I would recommend Photobucket for posting pics. I wanted to post a pic of some shoes I was looking at on e-bay, in the fine print the sellers actually threatened to charge you $1000 a day for linking to their pics. I copied the pic to my computer then uploaded to photobucket and linked from there. I don't think there is a security breach. The admin for this site would know better then me of course, just my thoughts here.

Wendy me
01-27-2005, 08:14 AM
i thought you put on some weight glade to hear you did not/.........................

lady lycra
01-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks Maria, Yes I understand about the bandwidth and not being happy with the hot linking, but a lot of sites stop hotlinking at their end. Surely that's easier to do than changing the picture?

I'm now sure that it's not a security breach. Witht he blackout and the pic change, I put 2 and 2 together and got 5 :)

I'll give photbucket a look.

As for copying pics and posting them, that's in breach of copyright.
That's why I hot linked.

Linda

lady lycra
01-27-2005, 08:23 AM
i thought you put on some weight glade to hear you did not/.........................

I'm a whole stone (14 lbs) LIGHTER than I was at Christmas!!!!!!!
Still a few too many though.

Things aren't such the squeeze as they used to be. :)

Linda

Maria2004
01-27-2005, 09:45 AM
As for copying pics and posting them, that's in breach of copyright.
That's why I hot linked.Yikes! this could be a whole new thread:) That's true, but in both of our cases we were illustrating point, like if I wanted to show you a picture in a book that I have I don't have to go to the bookstore and buy you a copy of the book 1st. The way I did it basicly came under "fair use" as I have read it as far as U.S. copyright of net photos go. Since the thread that I originally posted the pics to is dead I have removed the pic from my photobucket account since my point was made and I didn't need it any longer. I think the sticky point is the linking, using someone elses server and bandwidth without their permission, using Photobucket I have their permission.

That's the way I see it anyhow, not trying to "pic" on you. You could be right, the FBI may be lurking outside my door right now, polishing up their cuffs in preparation for hauling me off to Leavenworth:eek:

Maria :p

lady lycra
01-27-2005, 10:07 AM
the FBI may be lurking outside my door right now, polishing up their cuffs in preparation for hauling me off to Leavenworth:eek:

The UK has slightly different copyright laws than the USA, this is what make the net an interesting place :)

As for the FBI coming to take you away in handcuffs....

Sounds an interesting story :) Will they give you time to change?
If they are waiting outside, tell us the story when they finally let you go :)

Linda

Wendy me
01-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm a whole stone (14 lbs) LIGHTER than I was at Christmas!!!!!!!
Still a few too many though.

Things aren't such the squeeze as they used to be. :)

Linda

girlfreind you rock............no pun intened....................................... ;)

Tristen Cox
01-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Looks like someone is having a time with you Linda. I'd concider removing the link in your other post so people don't get the wrong impression until you can get the correct picture in it's place. Sorry you're having this problem. On a note 'attachments' here on this site can't be altered in this way, but you then have that size limit thing to work around. Hope you get this fixed. :o

Love
Tristen

Topaz
01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Linda,

I just read what you said and went to the site that you got your pic from thinking of scolding them. But when I got to the site and found netball dresses, lo and behold that picture is on their site. I don't think it's our site thats been breached but theirs. I think that they will have it fixed soon because that's definately not an image they want on their site.

Hope it eases your fears a little.

Hugs,
Topaz

Priscilla1018
01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Tristen.how does someone deal with size thing. I have been trying to add an avatar but keep getting the message that it is too big.What am I doing wrong?

Priscilla1018

Maria2004
01-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Tristen.how does someone deal with size thing. I have been trying to add an avatar but keep getting the message that it is too big.What am I doing wrong?

Priscilla1018

Sorry I'm not Tristen, but the avatar can only be 125x125 pixels at 64k. If you have a program like Photoshop or GIMP you need to resize your selected pic to fit within those dimensions, then do a "save as", for JPEGS you will get the option to set the quality level, from 100% of the original on down, you select a quality level that will bring you under the 64k limit. If you have msn or yahoo messanger you can send it to me and I will resize and send back if you like, up to you.
Hope this helps

Maria