PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic counter 1st time

bgirl
01-19-2007, 09:51 PM
So today I finally got up the courage to walk into a department store about a 100 miles away and ask for some help. I asked for a concealer ,foundation and powder as well as a blush that all would match my skin tone.
So she said no problem, lots of men want a little color.and asked if I was a performer. I told her I just had the desire to look like a girl. She smiled and told me that "You have to be who you are" And then she got to work. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest as she started to make-up my face and apply the different steps. When asked about eyeliner and lips I said yes. I was sort of in drap at the moment and was feeling a little self conscious as people walked by. I had brought some girl stuff with and was wearing girl jeans and blouse under my jacket. When she held up the mirror, I was amazed! I took out my wig and placed it on and she helped me get it right. Told me I looked very feminine and told me to have fun. Not to worry if people look, they don"t know you anyway.
I went to the car and got the rest of my things, found a place to change and came out with my high heel boots and boot-cut jeans, hip paddied and compressed, large hoops and went back inside the store. I bought a scarf to hide my adams apple and went back to the cosmetic counter for her approval, a spray of perfume, and wished me luck. She was so calm about everything and built up my confidence to the point that I spent two hours in the mall, and went downtown for lunch. I tried things on at different stores and even though I was read as soon as I talked, everbody treated me with respect. My wife is out of town but she asked how my day went, and after I told her all about it , she surprised the crap out of me by telling me how happy she was for me and amazed at the courage it took. DID I Say First TIME? ok well holloween and a tri-ess meeting, but never in public and daytime to boot. A wondeful wonderfull day Crazy about this day... BETH

Joanie
01-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a fantasitc day, thanks for sharing that with us. I never have had the courage to get a makeover at a department store counter, have only gone to Merle Norman where privacy was assured in a back area. What type of make up was it? Estee Lauder? Lancome? Clinique? Whatever the make, sounds like you had the perfect sales associate to work with. Take me with you next time!

Holly
01-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Beth, I'm so proud of you! You are living proof that there is life to be lived once we overcome our own fears. The dire predictions we make are rarely reality. Beth, you rock!

Karren H
01-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Good for you!!!! I've never ever been to the cosmetic counter!!! I'm a L'oreal girl...."because I'm worth it!!" :D

Love Karren

SandyR
01-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow! How fun! Hope mine first time goes that good.

Huggs....

SandyR

bgirl
01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Hope my first time to a cosmetics counter is as great of an experience as yours.

As good as you look, I don't think you need a trip to the cosmetic counter, but it would be SO FUN anyway

susie evans
01-19-2007, 10:53 PM
gald you had a good experiance it realy helps to build confidence it will get easer each time you go out :D

susie

CDTiffany
01-19-2007, 11:17 PM
WOW!!! Thank you, for shering that. You give me HOPE!!!!!!!
Tiffany

Billijo49504
01-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Fantastic!!! I'm glad everything went well for you. I might try a cosmetic counter some day. But my wife helps me with the make up, So I do have help. As someone has asked, which counter did you go to?

Megan_Girl
01-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Bravo! :clap: Bravo! :clap: Bravo! :clap: Bravo! :clap: Bravo!
Good for you!!!
And another Heroine for my hall of fame!
XXX
Megan

bgirl
01-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a fantasitc day, thanks for sharing that with us. I never have had the courage to get a makeover at a department store counter, have only gone to Merle Norman where privacy was assured in a back area. What type of make up was it? Estee Lauder? Lancome? Clinique? Whatever the make, sounds like you had the perfect sales associate to work with. Take me with you next time!

I went to the Estee Lauder counter, passed some other counters searching for a friendly face, but the lady that was there happened to be the LANCOME rep. A she was wonderful. Acceptance made the day for me. I took it with me thru out the day. I will send her a thank you card but I will never be able to thank her enough. She can't possibly know the impact she had on my view of myself. She said "You have to be who you are" and I am.

Rebecca Jeanne
01-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Glad you had such a wonderful day Beth. I think the Lancome rep may have been so helpful since the MAC counter gets so much of our business.:happy:

ChristyS
01-21-2007, 10:53 PM
I usually buy drug store brands, but I needed some MAC cosmetics a while ago I went (en drab) to the counter at a nearby Bloomingdales. The woman there was GREAT...she could tell I knew a lot about makeup and went out of her way to help me find not only what I came for, but some other things I loved. As I left she gave me her card and urged me to contact her if I needed anything else.

Since then I have frequented more department store counters for cosmetic brands not sold in CVS/Walgreens...and every time it has been a good experience.

Roxi Loh
01-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I envy your courage, I would love to do that but have never had the nerve. When I have shopped for clothes, lingerie and shoes in drab I have always found it a pleasant experience. I guess make up should be the same. Thanks for sharing that.