01-21-2007, 01:45 AM
How many of you can sew
From the basics (sewing on a button)
To a seamstress(making your own cloths)
To every thing in between
So how talented are you at sewing ?

noname
01-21-2007, 02:26 AM
I know it's a lot of work. For the most part I need a pattern. Not to take over the thread ( no pun LOL ) but who here has a decent sewing machine. Those who do know they are not cheap.

Bobbie cd
01-21-2007, 02:51 AM
I am pretty handy with a sewing machine. I have a Singer featherweight machine that I do most of my sewing with.
I do everything from repairs to creating my own clothes, with and without patterns. I even repair and maintain the sewing machine since I used to be an industrial sewing machine repair tech.

GinaVegas
01-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Sewing on a button is about all that I can do......

Gina

fiona_libby
01-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Unfortunately my skills are very much limited to the ocassional button but it is a dream of mine to improve my ability to make my own clothes.

Huggs :hugs:

Fiona

Kate Simmons
01-21-2007, 04:15 AM
I wish Barb. I'm all "thumbs" when it comes to threading a needle. So much for being a good housewife, right? I was think of getting one of those "Buttoneers" for fixing my buttons(yep, they are still around). I keep losing my buttons due to people "pushing" them all the time.:heehee: Anyway, now you know why I'm blonde.:p

Cyndie
01-21-2007, 06:30 AM
I've been sewing for years. I've made a couple of items from patterns, but mostly do alterations. I'm a petite size so some skirts are a little long and I take them up. I've replace zippers and let out some seams also.

TTFN :hugs:
CYndie

Kristen Marie
01-21-2007, 06:37 AM
I put in darts on a blouse I bought. Read about it on line, pinned it, and while it was not the best sewing job, it worked. Darts are great!! Especially with guy shoulders...

Joy Carter
01-21-2007, 06:40 AM
I want to take lessons at a local sewing store. I just haven't had the time. Grandma was a "Singer Girl" in the fifties. She taught the craft to potential buyers.

Teresa Amina
01-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Been doing buttons since I was a kid. Mom was in one of her "moods" and wouldn't do it for me so I just figured it out myself. I do the odd handstitch repair job but downstairs is the late wifes' sewing machine. Someday I'll learn to use it.

Alaceann
01-21-2007, 07:54 AM
My mother taught ne to sew when I was young. She still makes her own cloths. I do all the sewing in my house.My SO dosen't sew. I have a 1935
singer that can go through anything including leather. There a lot of friends that I sew on patches and other things for.

Suzie S.
01-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Beyond buttons, I'm completely clueless!:happy:

Suzie S.

Billie2day
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I bought a sewing machine years ago new at Sears. There was no Value village at that time. It came with lessons but I was too shy to Take them. I have used it for everything from shorting skirts, making them larger to full sized outfits. I made my own maids outfit. I had bought one years ago from Frederics of Hollywood and it was too small and eventually ripped. What I did was rip apart one of my old shirts I used the pieces for a pattern for the dress top. the rest I used the ripped maid outfit for a pattern. It worked out not too bad although the skirt is a little crooked. I have picked up at VV some fantatic material and would like to try making some more dresses. My main problem is there is only 24hours in a day. I think I had more free time when I was Working and definetly before the internet,Billie

Lawren
01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I can put buttons on and thanx to Uncle Sam, I can sew on patches. :D

I do have a sewing machine but not a clue how to use it.

Daintre
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I have learned the basics on a sewing machine, I can't do the fancy things yet, but I am learning. :happy:

Amy Hepker
01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I have gone to the extent of sewing a skirt, this I did by hand, and I also made a Blouse, only the Blouse I used a sewing machine. They both turned out pretty good concidering that I am a male. Both I made for myself and by myself. I would like to sew more things but I just don't have the time.

unclejoann
01-21-2007, 10:08 AM
How many of you can sew
From the basics (sewing on a button)
To a seamstress(making your own cloths)
To every thing in between
So how talented are you at sewing ?

I am a solid basic sewer who has branched out into clothes on occasion. I am currently sewing panties with the help of an expert seamster, my bf.

Marla S
01-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Once in a while I sew again. Have started to sew a coat, but that's tricky and didn't came out like I wanted. I gave it a break, and knitted a pullover instead (just finished).

Christina Nicole
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I can sew, but not knit nor crochet.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Tedi
01-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I have a nice basic zig-zag machine, over the years I've become adept at altering and patching. Never tried to sew anything from a pattern, but I've been thinking about trying something. My constraint is not enough room to spread things out and work on them.

Keely
01-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I can sew a mean button.

Peggy55
01-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I could probably sew a button if I could get the darn needle threaded!

Peggy

JEANNE63
01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
My buttons stay on better than the originals!

susie evans
01-21-2007, 01:24 PM
i can sew on a button any thing passed that i'am out of luck

Synchronicity
01-21-2007, 01:25 PM
I can sew on a button and am able to put a hem in, but that's where my sewing abilities end. I would love to learn how to sew for real since I have about twenty sets of curtains I need to acquire soon.

I won't bother learning how to create my own clothing, however, since it seems just as inexpensive to buy them ready made.

phoebe61
01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Im ito 50's fashon so i dicided about 4 months ago to do my own sewing since i made me and my wife a full skirt each and also a tight lepord pencil skirt (the wigle type).
next i intend to make a dress each.
:OT: my wife knows n ecepts my +dressin:koc:

Rachel Newark
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm learning !

My wonderful SO bought me my own machine - probably to protect hers !, which is a serious piece of kit - and with her expert tuition I'm learning to use it. So far a couple of skirts, with zips even, have appeared. Next a tartan mini-skirt is planned and a Silver handbag to match one of the minis. The ultimate target is a number of items in PVC / wetlook fabric.

I've also used it to join pieces of agricultural fleece in an attempt to protect baby bok choi plants. This has been rather less successful than the skirts :sad:

Rachel Newark

lowlavalentine
01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm jealous of all you seamstresses out there. I can handle a button but that's about it. I'd love to learn though. Being able to alter a garment properly would be a big help.

Kathryn Philips
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I am not able to buy my own skirts (yet) so in the meantime I have to do with making skirts out of old trousers (have plenty of these). This involves cutting to desired length, removing the seams, cutting of excess fabric and sewing back as a skirt. The picture shows the first .of 4 trousers I have "upgraded" so far. The quality of my sewing, mainly due to lack of pacience, is not all that great.

noname
01-21-2007, 08:03 PM
For those considering buying a machine you have a few options, and I offer this.

1: Don't go cheap, while you can one for around 300 I advise against it. The gear inside are plastic and probably won't last long. Not to mention you'll need to get it tuned so to speak, for stick consistancy.

2: Buy electronic. These usually start at around 700 - 800 and up. You'll get perfect stich consistancy, and the gears should be incased. So you shouldn't have to have it oiled or tuned. But watch out, they can still have plastic gears, your gunna want all metal gears inside.

3: What I wish I would have known when I got mine. A surger, a good surger can do everything a regular sewing machine can do ( except buttons )as well as surge. This will give you true professionally quality clothing. While there are cheapter 500 dollar version, if your really looking for a quality surger that does all the stiches required for different clothing, your going to need a 5 thread surger and a decent one should start at around 1500.

Lastly, when it comes to buying a machine it's like the used car lot, you can bargin.

Just incase anyone wants to know.

BOOTLOVINGGIRL
01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
I wish I could sew on a button. It would be a big help in male mode.

Karren H
01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
I can prick my fingers a lot!!!

Karren

Dragster
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Kattie, I too have made a few skirts from old trousers, and I thought I had an original idea to do that! I've also re-modeled some skirts that my wife had thrown out. I like them really tight, and shorter than she wears, so......

I started by sewing curtains over 30 years ago, after a challenge from my wife. I've since made clothes for her and my two kids, so now it's my turn!

Tony

mary sue
01-21-2007, 09:21 PM
I love to sew learned to on a treadle singer also love to cook

shannonsilk
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
i bought an inexpensive machine used some yrs ago. it does have metal gears. i mostly was doing repairs and alterations. buttons are easy on a machine. recently i made a skirt and a simple purse. i was pleased with the results.
does my new avatar show me in the skirt? i think so.

tacal
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I really enjoy sewing, I design and make kites. Mostly for my own use, but have made a few and sold them. As far a clotheing goes, I do alterations on some of my clothes and also occasionally some alterations for my wife.

Robin Leigh
01-22-2007, 01:15 PM
What a great thread! :D Sorry, I can't resist the opportunity for a pun. :heehee:

I love to sew learned to on a treadle singerThat's so cool, Mary Sue! My baby sister (who has a BA in fashion & textiles) has one in her sewing room. She can use it, but prefers her electronic. :)

I can sew by hand, but I prefer to use a machine when I can. I've also had fun playing with overlockers.

I've never sewn a complete garment, but I've made minor repairs & altered a few hemlines over the years. I admit I do have a tendency to break needles when sewing denim by machine. :o

I was taught how to sew on buttons when I was in primary school. It might have been one of my grandmothers who taught me, or even a great-grandmother. My memory is a little cloudy on the exact details. :)

My mum taught me to knit, but I haven't done any since I was a teenager. I taught myself how to do French knitting, which is fun. Mum tried to teach me to crochet, but I never got past chain stitch. :)

FWIW, her dad taught my mum how to knit, her mum was too impatient, although she was a first-class seamstress: she could sew anything. She even made some of her daughters' wedding dresses (& the bridesmaids' dresses, of course). When my grandpa retired (in the early 1970s), he & grandma designed & built themselves a most amazing "pop-up" tent, for use on their travels around our fair continent.

I can sew well enough to make repairs, but my hand-sewing (and kniting) are not particularly neat. However, a few weeks ago I succesfully repaired a couple of pairs of stretchy lacy black thongs. The lace was becoming detached from the elastic. They're now both as good as new. :happy:

To anyone who can't thread a needle, maybe you should re-read "Huckleberry Finn". When he CDed, he was read by not using the correct technique to thread a needle. :devil:

:hugs:

Robin

Melinda G
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I bought a sewing machine, years ago, to make some canvas awnings and other stuff for my boat. I can sew fairly well, but I'm not about to make a whole dress. I can however, alter stuff to fit me better. Since men have bigger shoulders than women, if I buy a dress that I can get into, it usually is too long. So I shorten them up considerably, and hem it. I also have made a cute little short sleeved dress from a long sleeved dress. Shortening and hemming stuff, is a no brainer.

JoanFlores
01-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Only buttons for me.

Casey Morgan
01-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I've never sewn on a button but we had to do some sewing back in junior high. I can't stitch a straight line so making my own clothes is out, but I could sew things for crafts.

JoAnnDallas
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
That is one thing my wife likes about me. I can sew. When I was in high school, they finially opend "Home Economics" to the boys. The class I was in was about 80% boys. LOL I don't think they expected such turn of boys. Anyway, one of the things we learned was how to sew. That is how to mend items, sew buttons back on, how to thread a needle, and etc. Later on in the school year, we were introduced to the sewing machine. How to set it up, how to thread it, and how to use one. The last thing we did and we got graded on it, was to take a pattern for a shirt, select the material, cut it out using the pattern, sew it up, do the button holes and buttons. Then we had to wear it to class. The teacher then had us standup and she had us turn slowly around so she could get a good look at it.

LizCD
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Never made my own clothes... but can sew and alter everything that I need to!

lauraabdl
01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
buttons are easy, alterations no problem, a complete dress I don't know havent tried.