PDA

View Full Version : long hair

noname
01-23-2007, 01:51 AM
How many here have long hair naturally? It's something I've always wanted to try since gradeschool. My wife gave me the ok. She said as long as you never wear a skirt and don't complain about the hypocricy of society, go for it. How does growing your hair out go over on the job? I wear a shirt and tie everyday even when not required, so I think I may be able to pull it off, though they do seem to have a sexist dress code. Though one guy has long hair slicked back and goes just an inch above the bottom of his neck. When growing hair out, how do you manage the inbetween stages?

Lisa Golightly
01-23-2007, 02:32 AM
I have long hair... just make sure you get a decent hairdresser, and tell them you want a femme style or you'll end up with a long male cut. As for the work thing, I don't know. I own my company so 'anything goes' as far as I'm concerned.

Michelia
01-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Noname:

I just hatched a plan with my haircutter to let my hair grow into a bob. It is getting there but I am at the worst stage right now. It is really messy sometimes so I try slicking it all around combing it back. I have to go in every 6- to 8 weeks and he layers it a little bit and evens out the growth.

They asked it me several times about my long hair. I told them my wife wants it that way. It turns her on. I prepared them for the worst so they will settle for anything in between. I told them I would have a ponytail one day. That was my goal. So far so good.

The worst part is I sometimes forget to slick it back. The other day I took a shower in the middle of the day and went out with my child. Some women were looking at me strangely. When I got back home I realized how femme my hair was starting to look when I do not slick it back. It does look really nice though!

Michelia

kerrianna
01-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Uh, the in between stages look like the Beatles White Album.

I've always (well until recently :cry: ) grown my hair long - my dad hated it - it wasn't until it got girly long that it was easier to manage and looked better (well, better in that hippies got called girl then). That in between stage is pretty hard to do anything with. You just look shaggy. It's harder for guys to get away with it.

But then you can tie it back, leave it down, braid it whatever. Grow it now while you can. You won't always be able to do it. Slick it back for awhile if you have to - just do it. There's nothing better than your own long hair. :hugs:

Kate Simmons
01-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Long hair. I'm bald, so my only desire would be to have my own hair to grow and style as I like and to be able to complain (like real girls) that I can't do a thing with it.:happy:

Kristen Kelly
01-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Grow it out while you can, I'm letting mine grow out now, lucky for me I still have a full head of hair. I have only been seen out once with my real hair and have gotten comments on my new "wig", telling them it's my own hair supprised most, going to wait till its a little longer before that will be the way I'm seen out all the time.

judyk
01-23-2007, 05:43 AM
I wear my hair at sholder length now and the only comment I have had at work was "kind of retro" I tell them it keeps my neck warm, I live in Canada.

It feels great to just brush it out, it's all most a good a feeling as a bra, the gg,s have been keeping it a secert all this time.

Hugs

JudyK

Lawren
01-23-2007, 07:13 AM
My hair is currently down to my bra line in the back and I have no urge to cut it in the near future.

Han
01-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I have long hair, and have for over ten years now. It suits my face and has become part of my personality. I always said I would cut it off when I go bold, then I found out I might not go bold (The gene follows the female line apparantly).

I have always been fine with my hair, and employers may question my 'hippy' intentions, but as soon as they see my general work ethic, I do very well at work and it no longer becomes an issue.

Saying that, I have never held any public or high visabilty positions that would require a certain dress and style.

Charleen
01-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Haven't cut my hair since 2000. I keep it in a p-tail at work, and since I wear colonial clothing 3 days, no problem. Actually no problem at all. I do alot of things at work and deal with the unwashed daily, and no comments on the hair, or my filigreed hopp earrings.
The growing out stage is rough. It looks shaggy no matter what, but hair grows about 1/2 inch a month, so that helps. When mine was coming in, as soon as I could, I got it into a 'tail.
Love and xxxx, Lily

Karren H
01-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Nahhhh.. Too much troule!! Had long hair in college.... I perfer wigs since I can change my look and style at will!! Girl has to have options!! hehe

Love Karren

Josephine56
01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
There's a site called Mens' long hair hyperboard, www.mlhh.org which deals with this subject and you may find interesting.
I'm 64, quite baldish, and what's there is white, so it's wigs for me for ever.
Both my sons in their twenties went through a hair down to the navel stage, long since past.
In retrospect I'd love to have done it, but time is of the essence, so go for it !

AZGia
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Before the military as a teenager in the 70's it was long hair, after the military in the 80's long hair was back. In the early 90's I became a firefighter so there went the long hair. In eight years as long as the hair remains as full as it is long will be back in for me.

Gia

sonyinohio
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
mine at one time was down to my rear but that was getting to be to much trouble so like above its about bra line

Robin Leigh
01-23-2007, 12:44 PM
My Secret Girl Power resides in my long hair. :)

I've mostly had long hair since my early teens. My hairline is receding, but I still have quite a bit of hair. I haven't cut it for 15 years, and it's now longer than it's ever been: just below my ribcage. I usually tie it back so it's not untidy. It's long enough so I don't need to use a band: I just tie it in a knot. The hairdresser across the road from my apartment calls me The Man With a Bun. :)

:hugs:

Robin

lady lycra
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
My hair is 2/3 down my back.
It hasn't seen scissors since about 2002 if not earlier.
It's always tied back in a pony tail. Occasionally my wife will plait it. This makes it go all wavy for the next few days :)

Yes it's a pain at times, taking ages to dry etc, but generally it's great.
If I want short hair I can cut it.... But growing hair takes years.
I chopped mine off years back and hated it. Vowed that it would be a long time before I did anything so stupid again.

Work isn't a problem. Lots of other men have long hair where I work.
The only problems I have are the plug hole in the shower and clogging up the vaccum clearner's relvolving brush :)

LL

Samantha B L
01-23-2007, 02:23 PM
I grew my hair shoulder lenghth and then cut it off short at least 3 times between 1970 and 1977.I wanted to wear my hair sort of like George Harrison or Brian Jones when I was 7 or 8 years old in the mid-sixties.Dad and Mom said "NO" repeatedly because they thought that this would result in the kind of undue attention that would get me beaten up by lunatics or maybe even kicked out of school.So I opted for one of those "white sidewalls" haircuts. When I was a little older,like 13 or 14 I was much bolder about arguing for myself and whether or not my hair would be long if I so chose.When I was 19 and 20 years old I had shoulder lenghth hair and I'd have a festive time styling it femme when everybody was gone from the house for a couple of hours.I had a blowdryer,hairspray,etc..I'd style my hair then I'd sometimes go out that way giving no explanation or reasons to anyone as to why I looked like that.It must've been in 1977 or 1978 that the so-called "punkrock" or"newwave"haircuts started to come around and I opted for one of those and started to look into wigs for wearing longer styles.But I don't assume that longhair has "died Out".I think that there are many things in our culture that a lot of our pundits want us to think "Well,that was the sixties.....now moving right along".I have lots of nephews that are 18-19 years old and they all have longhair unless their bosses won't allow it on the job.

TV Wannabe
01-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I started growing my hair long during my senior year in HS, but after 6 months or so I was pressured by friends, family, and coworkers to cut it. I folded and eventually I did cut my hair, I really wanted my hair to look like Lucy Lawless's on BattleStar Galactica, but unfortuneately I have brown hair and it was nearly as beautiful.

noname
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Grow it out will you can, I'm letting mine grow out now, lucky for me I still have a full head of hair.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm in my early 30's full hair, only a couple gray hairs that you really can't notice since I have light hair.

Sandra
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
The in "between stages" can be a pain in the a*** but if you want it long then you have to put up with it. Make sure you get a decent hairdresser as she/he will be able to suggest how to cope with the "inbetweenies"

renee99
01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I have long curly hair. Took all kinda of crap from other people in the "in between" stage. It pretty much just comes down to not hanging out with people who can't deal with your personal preferences, or somehow turning their snide comments back onto them. Honestly I can't understand the need for some people to voice their insulting opinions when they were not requested to do so.

Oh, also, everytime I have been pulled over since then, except once, my car has been searched. That is another drawback of long hair.

JuliaCD
01-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I have long hair, and absolutely love it. As others have said, the "in between" stage until you can tie it back is hell! When I grew it out in college, I wore a bandanna to keep it out of the way...of course I also drove a VW bus back then too!:D I had to cut it for a corporate dress code but grew it back out as soon as I could as my feminine side began to bloom. Now I have a tolerant boss, and love my look with natural hair. I'm 45, and it's getting thin in back, but with careful styling it looks fine...much better than a wig. Best of luck, and don't go insane while it grows out!

Barb Valentine
01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry not much help here
I have very little hair
Never mind long

lowlavalentine
01-24-2007, 01:02 AM
All my long hair comes in a box.

Bethanygirl
01-24-2007, 01:08 AM
I always had long hair, (down the middle of back) but recently I had health problems, (all over now) and I cut it shoulder length to make it easier to care for. Now I guess I'll let it grow out again... :happy:

Sejd
01-24-2007, 01:38 AM
If you have hair and you are a Trannie, grow it out! Let it flow, enjoy! I take Cod Liver oil suplements, and have done that for the last three years every day, it works fantastic on your hair growth and shine. My hair is now almost to the shoulders and looks very feminine. I also have pierced ears and fine silver earings. I just went to a business meeting in Holland, hair out and everyghing, no one raised any eybrows. I feel very comfortable with myself, I think that is the the whole secret to whatever image you may have. Enjoy yourself and be strong, then all others will accept you also.
love
Sejd

Lawren
01-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Kerry has just informed me that she likes my long hair and "you ain't changin' it". :D

suzy
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I have never had long hair....ever... When it touches my ears it's time to get it cut.... Don't want it long..... except when I choose to have it with a wig.

Wigs for this girl.....:D

Iniquity Blonde GG
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
well, if you grow it long, there is the advantage of being able to wear it in a pony tail in ( man-mode) so no-one would even question it :D

Amy Hepker
01-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Just Grow it and show it. As long as you keep it styled or in clean good looking shape no one shouls say alything. I have long hair and really enjoy it, although I am a truck driver. I know of another driver (not CDer) he has bright red long hair (I mean really long) and a long Red beard. He never has a problem and is a very friendly type of person.

Kerry Owens
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
My hair is currently down to my bra line in the back and I have no urge to cut it in the near future.

And IMHO that hair had better not get ever cut! I happen to like it that way!

Wendy me
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
my hair what a pain in the butt ... almost half way down my back now ... thick full and just enough curl to be a lot of work....i fought with every one abought growing it ... my wife and every one else you could think of .... it's long and i love it ... not even thinking of a hair cut ....

misspatty
01-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi,

I had long hair since I was a teen. The problem for me was that my hair was so fine that I could not make a good use of it for femme dressing. Add that to the obviously male spot on the back. LOL As I got older, thinning became a real issue on how it looked. A couple of years ago, I decided to just cut it all off. Now if I want long hair, I need a wig.

Patty

saracd
01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I normally have short'ish hair, although it's grown for a few months now, the only long hair I have is in the form of a wig (brought several years ago) shame it's not real hair, makes it very hard to style properly, would love long braids or something along those lines.

Lilith Moon
01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
My own hair is shoulder length, but thin and balding so I wear wigs. It used to be down to my waist.

Cassy11
01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I've never had long hair and at one time I had none. That was during chemo. What grew back was very thin and had no volume. I love wigs so I can change color and styles.

LizCD
01-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I have long natural hair it reaches half way down my back now I wear it in a ponytail for the most part, as far as work is concerned i'm a truck driver so no problem there.

Sierra Evon
01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I love long hair , however my own natural hair is kinda thin , I'd love to have waist lenghth hair , but I'm sure that my own natural hair will not grow to those lenghths , soo I'll be buying a wig in the near future !!!!

JoAnnDallas
01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
At RSNA last year, a gentleman came to our booth and he had long brown hair braided into a long ponytail. It came down to the middle of his back. I did not get a chance to talk to him, but co-workers said he was from Europe.

trannie T
01-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I have a pony tail, I cut it every few years when it becomes too much of a bother, then grow it back again. I'd like to have a more femme style but as I'm bald on top that isn't going to happen.

Cristi
01-26-2007, 12:18 AM
My hair has been long enough for a ponytail for at least 15 years now. Right now, it is albut half way down my back. I've always told people that my hair is 'all or nothing'. If I ever cut it, I'll just shave my head. As it is, the ONLY hair maintenance I ever need is for my wife to cut off a few inches in the back every few months to tidy things up and get rid of split ends. I've probably saved $1,000 or more in hair care costs in the last decade and a half! :)

Work has never been a problem. I got hired with the long hair even though I work in a conservative industry where the dress code is jacket and tie.

The 'in between' stage is tough... It was a long time between when it was long enough for a ponytail, but the hair from the front wasn't long enough to get to the back of my head, so I ended up with stray hairs flying all over the place. I guess the only answer is some kind of 'product' like a mousse that keeps things in place.

chick.wish
01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I've been growing my hair out, It's down to just below my ears now, and I can sorta put it up in a ponytail. As far as work goes, I just told my boss I was growing my hair out, he doesn't mind as long as I keep it neat looking, so slicking it back, hats, or even the little pony tail hasn't been a problem so far. My stylist commented bout 2 weeks ago, she wished half her female clients had hair like mine, so that really made my day.

Jenn S.
01-26-2007, 05:17 PM
I started growing mine out again. The longest I've ever allowed it to go was slightly past the ears, so this should be an adventure. I hope it's well worth it, because this Propecia is costing me $25/month. :D

Lauren B
01-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm growing mine out, too, and it's the longest it's been since... forever, I guess. It's still not quite down to my ears yet, but I've kept very short hair for years while I was busy repressing myself. I'm in that in-between stage now.

Anyway, a good hairdresser is a HUGE help. I was very lucky and came across one that didn't give me a funny look when I told her I wanted to grow it out (I'm not out to her or anyone yet). She gave me a style that was easy enough to take care of, could be either masculine or feminine, and showed me how to style it, too.

Jennifer in CO
01-27-2007, 09:15 AM
kinda anyway

My hair, when not in a braid, bounces around my belt. At that length, its difficult to do anything style-wise with other than a body wave. That I can get by braiding it wet and then wearing it down when dry. I can feel it getting thinner on top over the last few years so I havent decided yet weither I will begin an anti-androgen or just what to keep it on my head and not on the brush....

BTW...been that length for 15+ years

Jenn

noname
01-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I believe I have made up my mind to grow my hair out. I feel that now is the time if ever. While I only have a few almost invisable gray hairs, now is the time. I spent some time thinking about my job and what they might say. I came to the conclusion I don't care. They have a sexist dress code I abide by. The pay is pretty and low and I have my limits, and am tired of living for other people. I think it's time to be true to myself, I've wanted to long hair my entire life, so come what may.