PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your hairstyle

Roberta-Jane
01-28-2005, 03:02 PM
I have not had a wig and have only recently found myself after 44 years. As a rising 50 year old I would like to know how you all chose which hairstyle you all settled with. I want to look like a smart woman of my age and want my hairstyle to be as feminine as possible but not over the top.

Any advice to me as to how to choose - unfortunately at the moment it would have to be a wig a I am still - boo hoo - in the proverbial closet.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Peace and tranquility

Roberta-Jane

PS I am In the UK but I guess our friends across the Pond will have similar styles. :rolleyes:

Janet K.
01-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Truthfully, I try to keep the color close to my actual hair color (matches my eyebrows---more realistic since I don't pluck my eyelashes) and pick a style that is appealing to me. Right now I have an extra-long auburn colored wig that I chose because it is so curly that it helps me hide my facial hair.

Holly
01-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Roberta,

As was already said, Pick something that YOU like. You might get some ideas by observing how some ladies in the area are wearing their hair. Hair that covers part of the face can be useful in forming an appearance of a smaller, more female head. Best wishes.

DonnaT
01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Go to http://www.beautytrends.com/ and check Help icon to get help on fit, color, style tips.

A good wig should fit your face type.

Also, if you buy on the net try to get one close or a little lighter than your original hair color. make sure it has highlights also. Highlights are natural as a result of being in the sun. A solid color wig does not look natural.

Julie York
01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Most of us chose a wig that is a younger style than is usual for someone our age. Mainly because we are having fun!
But if you want to look genuine, look at what women your age are doing with their hair.
What hairstyle would your twin sister have? Practical and not too fussy probably. Americans do have a different style actually. So bear that in mind.

Me? I'm still thinking of the sexy 26 year old I was in another life.

But she's SO much fun!

Jessica_Fox
01-28-2005, 05:17 PM
I chose a China Doll wig as I let my hair grow out. It hides a lot of the more masculine features of my face and is the same color as mine. Also, I think it is a "classic look" for a young girl OR a girl my age (34) :)

AnnaMaria
01-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Roberta,

I am personally letting my hair grow out. Have been for about two years now and I just started going to a salon for cuts and style. I am planning on letting my stylist help me with my look since he has been doing it for 20 plus yrs. I am not "out" per say but he knows and so does my wife. Though when I started letting my hair grow no one knew that I was a cd and didn't until recently. If you know of a stylist that you can really trust then you might consider letting him or her help when you decide t let your hair grow. If you do that is. I also had my hair colored for the first time and went with a color that has some red highlights in it. It is very close to my natural color but you can deffinately tell that there is red in it. Is that something that is becoming wide spread among cd's. I don't know but it sounds as if it is a popular color right now.

huggs
anna

Sweet Susan
01-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I have always chosen my wigs based on what I like to see on women. I love looking at women, and one of the things I like best about them is their hair. Certain styles attract me more than others, natch, but I prefer longer hair over short, and darker colors over light. However, I do like short wigs for a change of pace, and I do have a nice blondish brownish thing that I love to wear. I try to stay with colors that seem natural for me.

Wendy me
01-28-2005, 06:30 PM
i am also letting my own hair grow it's long enough to be a real pain in the as_ yes
i love it ..............

Tomita
01-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Keep it close to your own hair color... Choose one of medium length with some curls or body to it.. The wig I'm wearing in my pictures fits my hair color and facial structure

Tristen Cox
01-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I go for wavy. Straight is just not right with my face and not curly either(...well I haven't found one that would work right yet) I go by the length of me face and the bangs. Being I have dark hair it makes sense to buy a dark wig unless a lighter one really covers the sides well.

Love
Tristen

Amelie
01-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I have many different colors of the same style wig. When I go out, I'll wear colors from white to bright red. It doesn't matter to me if I pass or not, I go out to have fun.

sherri
01-28-2005, 07:42 PM
When I started thinking about wigs I assumed that because I am older I should wear short wigs. But after studying literally hundreds of CDs online and real-life GGs, I realized that longer styles are okay. Consequently, I have four wigs, two of which are shoulder-length. I am dark haired, so three of my wigs are dark brunette, but every once in awhile I want to be a blonde, dammit! Honestly, I get as many compliments on the blonde as I do the brunette.

When it comes to wigs, I think quality is more important than color, length or style.

Jerry
01-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Robert-Jane,

I'm 45 and have been active forever.

I've had about a dozen wigs that I can remember. I've done so many styles from long to curly, cute to sexy, blonde to red.

Here's my advise. Gather your courage. Ponder the situation. Dream.

Then find it in yourself to go to a professional. Call and schedule a session at a wig shop. Forget the catalogs and internet. Tell the person what you are and if they are willing to help you. It's easy to hang up if they aren't willing.

But, I think you'll be surprised. After a couple calls you'll find yourself scheduled for a private session with someone who wants to help you.

There you'll have a chance to try different options. Get the council from someone who understands color and shape and style

Danielle1960
01-29-2005, 12:28 AM
I aggree go to a professional shop and you'll be very happy. :)