PDA

View Full Version : The courage to get what you need

Rachel Signy
01-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I've picked a big topic and I have a small example to share today. I've loved makeup since I was a teen. In my late 20s I started buying my own since my wife's stuff was all really bad colours for me. After we split up in '88, I started doing full dressing. Around 1996 I started going out.

I've come to the conclusion that drugstore foundation is awful stuff. One day I got up the courage to walk into a department store (in drab), find a cosmetician and ask "can you get me a foundation with good coverage in my shade?" He didn't blink at all, just gave me an excellent product which I still use (MAC Studiofix).

I've read here people who've done things I never would have thought of, like trying on women's shoes in drab - I've tried on shoes twice, once at a fetish shop where I got shoes that fit but were higher than I wanted, and once at a shop specializing in oversized shoes, dressed en femme (I tried on half the shoes in the store and the ones I got are very nice but they still pinch!).

Anyway, some of us are bolder than others but my experience with things like the foundation says that whatever boldness is in your comfort zone will really pay.

By the way my avatar photo was taken just before my department store adventure: the results of that photo-shoot (my GG best friend took the pictures) convinced me that I needed something better. Pale and blueish only goes with a hardcore Goth look!

trannie T
01-25-2007, 11:38 PM
It is amazing how terrifying it all is at first, but after one survives the first few shopping trips, then goes out a few times, how easy and natural it becomes.

susie evans
01-25-2007, 11:55 PM
i think you are right now that i have done this for years i just go and do what i want in drab or enfemme i really enjoy talking to the ladies in the check out lines some are in shock and most are very friendly :heehee:

susie

KatrinaAshley
01-26-2007, 02:34 AM
If you ask me, it's not the shop or employees we fear, since many stories have ended with 'everything went fine' or 'they're only interested in your money'. It's the potential of coming across folks we know in a rather peculiar situation.