PDA

View Full Version : How many genders are there? (all play)

Casey Morgan
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
This one is open to everybody. I'm just curious to see what everybody thinks.

How many genders are there?
1) Two, and you're either one or the other.
2) Three: male, female, and both/mixed/whatever.
3) As many as there are people.
4) A lot but not "infinite".
5) One, but we have different traits of "gender".
6) Gender is a social thing, so this question is meaningless.

janedoe311
01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Physically a male but likes men and likes being a male and using the male tool on men.

Physically a male but likes CD. Likes men but only as a women. Men with men is a turn off.

Physically a male but always wanted to be a woman. Like women and does not like the idea of being a lesbian.

Physically a male but always confused envied girls but like women. As time past came to the conclusion that one should have been a woman but also needs a “normal” life, with a wife and family.

Intersex, Physicall neither gender parts dominate. Was raised as a girl but when the hormone hit started to live as a man.

Intersex, Physicall more male than female. Was raised as a boy but when the hormone hit started to live as girl.

I think you can go on for probably about 100 types.

tommi
01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
:yt:

diane59
01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll have to go with #2 here.

Marcie Sexton
01-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Gosh Jane you never cease to amaze me, but it was well put and insightful...

Mark me up as a "me too":D

NatalieH
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM

If I HAD to choose just one from your choices I'd pick #5 on the theory that it's a continuum (?) with a lot of people at the ends and the rest spread out at different points, incorporating varying degrees of the two extremes. Of course, that comes close to #3, and #5 has something to say for it, too

This may also contradict something I had said about "all genders" in a previous post, but hey, a girl can change her mind, can't she?

Natalie

tvbeckytv
01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
my answer...several

loki_uk
01-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Physically a male but always confused envied girls but like women. As time past came to the conclusion that one should have been a woman but also needs a “normal” life, with a wife and family.

I resemble that comment :D

CaptLex
01-26-2007, 02:57 PM
This one is open to everybody. I'm just curious to see what everybody thinks.

Have to go with #3 here . . . at least that seems to be my experience so far. Just when I think I've heard it all, I learn there's more to the story. :happy:

janedoe311
01-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I resemble that comment :D

Guess it slipped in my list.

Amy07
01-26-2007, 03:27 PM
My answer is SIX. Do your own thing, homo sapien.

Marla S
01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
For TSs, there are 2.
For CDs with the intention to pass, there are 2.
For "shuttle CDs", there are 2
In language, there are 2.
Body wise, there are 2 (maybe 4)
Self-perception, 1 to 3
Perception by others, there are 2
Prefix "trans" might indicate there are 2
Rest rooms, there are 2
etc.

Tina Dixon
01-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know:cry:

melissaK
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM

:lol:

OK, now that my laughing has subsided, I go with #6. But, since I exist in a society (at least I pay taxes to one), and like MarlaS says, there is strong evidence it only recognizes 2, maybe I should say 2. But CaptLex says its #3 and I don't want my rum ration cut, so . . . I don't know:cry:

hugs,
'lissa, and sometimes drunken wench.

Kate Simmons
01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Gender is a state of mind and classification. It is not a state of being.

MJ
01-26-2007, 06:17 PM
ok i will have to go with 3 ,

Sierra Evon
01-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Physically a male but likes men and likes being a male and using the male tool on men.

Physically a male but likes CD. Likes men but only as a women. Men with men is a turn off.

Physically a male but always wanted to be a woman. Like women and does not like the idea of being a lesbian.

Intersex, Physicall neither gender parts dominate. Was raised as a girl but when the hormone hit started to live as a man.

Intersex, Physicall more male than female. Was raised as a boy but when the hormone hit started to live as girl.

I think you can go on for probably about 100 types.

Ditto""""""""""""""""""""""""":thumbsup:

Teresa Amina
01-26-2007, 06:36 PM
In language, there are 2

I thought in German (among others) there was a neuter gender.
Many of the variations mentioned are appetite . A male or female organism may prefer intercourse with it's own sex but have a self concept consistant with it's body. Gender, as usually referred to here, is about how one feels about the vehicle of consciousness (body) one gets around in, whether or not one is comfortable with ones' physical self.

Angela E.
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
My answer? All of the above,and then some.:hugs: Angela.:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :GE: :<3: :<3: :<3:

Marla S
01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I thought in German (among others) there was a neuter gender.
Many of the variations mentioned are appetite . A male or female organism may prefer intercourse with it's own sex but have a self concept consistant with it's body. Gender, as usually referred to here, is about how one feels about the vehicle of consciousness (body) one gets around in, whether or not one is comfortable with ones' physical self.
Yup, like in English there is the IT neuter gender or non-gender.
Problem with IT is, that I never heard a TG saying I want to be accepted, seen, pass, or whatever as IT, thing or object (I would have to read Stephen King to know what he means by IT). So, IT seems not to be a gender that is asked for here, hence no-gender, leaves 2 genders in German and English language.

Only other option in sight #3. But that is meaningless, because it makes gender equal to person or individual, Hence transgender would equal transperson or transindividual, but that isn't meant by gender either.

I stickt to 2 genders, except there is someone who is able to name a third or a forth, including the equipment that is need to interact with other people according to this gender and in order to make the new quality distinguishable (gender conform name, personal pronoun, appearence, restroom sign etc. etc.)

At least someone should be able to define gender in order to have some criteria to check if there are more than 2.

RobertaFermina
01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Maidens and unmarried Women are "IT" in German.

das Maedchen (virgin girl, young woman), das Fraeulein (young woman, unmarried, presumed to be virginal?)

Marla S
01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Maidens and unmarried Women are "IT" in German.

das Maedchen (virgin girl, young woman), das Fraeulein (young woman, unmarried, presumed to be virginal?)
Right, as well as das Kind (child), which is a clear sign that in German gender has its roots in fertility. A child isn't able to reproduce, an unmarried woman traditionally wasn't allowed to.
Because of the same roots, there is only one word for female, woman and wife Frau, as well as there is only one word for male, man, husband: Mann (the context tells you what is actually meant). Man marries woman to get children. When the children become man or woman it starts all over.
Additionally there isn't actually a word for gender (it was imported to discuss TG issues only).
Gender related is Geschlecht but that equals sex or a dynasty, which again is closely related to reproduction.

tvbeckytv
01-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I stickt to 2 genders, except there is someone who is able to name a third or a forth, including the equipment that is need to interact with other people according to this gender and in order to make the new quality distinguishable (gender conform name, personal pronoun, appearence, restroom sign etc. etc.)

At least someone should be able to define gender in order to have some criteria to check if there are more than 2.

it dosnt have to have a name to exist. gender is a social status based on masculinity and femininity, the degree of which is recognisable by others. but it is also about self awareness of your gender identity. you may feel neither fully male or female, possess charactoristics of both to such a degree that you cannot be possitioned into either classification.
i have always considered my gender trans ... nothing else fits.
some cultures seem to recognise womanly men as an identifiable seperate gender...native american i believe is one?

PatyR
01-26-2007, 08:12 PM

Neither do I :confused2:

marie354
01-26-2007, 08:16 PM
:thumbsup: I believe that there are really only two.... But they can be stretched into each other as necessary to fit the individual.:thumbsup:

Marla S
01-26-2007, 08:21 PM
it dosnt have to have a name to exist. gender is a social status based on masculinity and femininity, the degree of which is recognisable by others. but it is also about self awareness of your gender identity. you may feel neither fully male or female, possess charactoristics of both to such a degree that you cannot be possitioned into either classification.

i have always considered my gender trans ... nothing else fits.
some cultures seem to recognise womanly men as an identifiable seperate gender...native american i believe is one?

Your approach seems to be: doesn't fit into the one, doesn't fit into the other, hence there has to be at least a third. Meaning you define gender by the construct of seemingly fixed cultural gender stereotypes.
My aproach is: It is the one or the other, there is nothing else. What can be changed are the cultural gender stereotypes (i.e. man that expresses all feminine becomes an accepted cultural construct)

If intergender wouldn't be alreay used for kind of non-gender, I'd say that is a word that describes my view the best. At least the CDs do an intergender exchange of traits, skills and privileges, but remaining in one gender to express more or less as the other.

tvbeckytv
01-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Your approach seems to be: doesn't fit into the one, doesn't fit into the other, hence there has to be at least a third. Meaning you define gender by the construct of cultural gender sterotypes.
My aproach is: It is the one or the other, there is nothing else. What can be changed are the cultural gender sterotypes (i.e. man that expresses all feminine becomes an accepted cultural construct)

the constucts of cultural gender steriotypes is just what gender is.
evidence of this surely must be that what is considered feminine isnt uniform across all cultures.
if a culture recognises a groups charactoristics which are specific and recognisably different, then that becomes a new gender...in my view.

Marla S
01-26-2007, 08:54 PM
the constucts of cultural gender steriotypes is just what gender is.
Not only IMO. Gender is a bio-cultural construct, but it doesn't matter.
Let me ask it the other way round, instead.
Given there are more than 2 genders, what action should follow from it ?
Personally and society wise.
That is the crucial question anyway, the best, or most general, or most individual, or most founded defintion doesn't help when there is no action derived from it.

RobynM
01-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Could be infinite but most likely answer is Four.
1) Male
2) Female
3) Both
4) Indeterminate

tvbeckytv
01-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Not only IMO. Gender is a bio-cultural construct, but it doesn't matter.
Let me ask it the other way round, instead.
Given there are more than 2 genders, what action should follow from it ?
Personally and society wise.
That is the crucial question anyway, the best, or most general, or most individual, or most founded defintion doesn't help when there is no action derived from it.

this illustrates what i am getting at better than i can explain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

they had their own unique identity within their society

Marla S
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I absolutely subscribe to it(except for the Lang -part), and I don't see myself much different: Two-spirt, gender male, aka feminine man. Or the other way round, I have no problem to be seen as man, as long as I am able to be a feminine one. Wouldn't mind to be seen as woman, but that's unlikely and didn't happen yet.

EDIT:I think what's a bit confusing about this gender discussions is that two differnt aspects are mixed: How you see yourself and how society sees you. Society will box you male or female. I doubt that this ever will change, because there are good biological, traditional, religious, cultural reason for it. How you see yourself is up to you. Society will react according to your presentation, and these reactions are not only black and white or male or female. Even the society has small but significat nuances to offer.

SammyA
01-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow I never thought about genders like that... but i would have to say #1.

Bethanygirl
01-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Two genders, as many genderists as there are people...

trannie T
01-27-2007, 02:36 AM
How many genders are there? The correct answer is: yes.

I think there is a continuim from ultra-male to ultra-female and there is a wide variety of fetish behavior which may be seperate from gender. This is a topic that one could use for a doctorial dissertation. There are probably as many opinions on this issue as there are genders.

What is my gender? Thank you for asking.