PDA

View Full Version : How do you tie...

ZenFrost
01-27-2007, 01:34 AM
...your necktie? When I first bought a tie I researched different ways to tie it and found that some just didn't look good on me. I admit, I wound up going to tie-a-tie.net and found I preferred the Pratt knot because it looks good on me. So guys, how do you tie your ties?

Kieron Andrew
01-27-2007, 02:37 AM
only ever a full windsor :)

Abraxas
01-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I have no idea what it's called... It's the way my dad taught me, when I was about 7. Like this:

(Edit: Ohhh. It's the four in hand knot, apparently)

Kieron Andrew
01-27-2007, 03:15 AM
http://www.tie-a-tie.net/
http://www.tieanecktie.com/
http://www.tieguide.com/tie.htm
http://www.tieknot.com/

ok ok so im wide awake and bored........it will be here somewhere Abraxas

bi_weird
01-27-2007, 04:05 AM
I think I do a half windsor, but I need to look up the others. I have problems getting it symmetrical easily, so I want to find a chance to learn others...

pocoyo
01-27-2007, 07:00 AM
I dunno what it's called.
I just tie it how we had to tie it at school.

RevMoonSerpent
01-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Like Abraxas I learned the four in hand from my dad also.

Leasa Wells
01-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Having to wear ties most of my life i came to hate them. I ususally do my tie then loosen it and sometime i use yes Those clip-ties for the quick on/off times. just my :2c:

Phyliss
01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
If I might add my :2c: . The few times anymore that I find myself having to wear something which requires a necktie, I use the Windsor Knot. It was the way I learned when I was much younger, and for some reason seems to be about the easiest one for me to do and get good results.
I must admit I've got many years of practice with it. Somehow anything else just doesn't "feel" right.
Now, as for tying a bow tie,....well....erm.... let's just say, "ain't gonna happen" I'll use a "clip on" for that.

Kieron Andrew
01-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Now, as for tying a bow tie,....well....erm.... let's just say, "ain't gonna happen" I'll use a "clip on" for that.
urghhhh i cannot tie a bow tie :(

Dasein9
01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Depends on the tie. Since I'm short-torsoed, I've bought a few boys' ties online, with good results. They're only 48" long. For these, I use the four-in-hand.* For longer ties, I use the half-Windsor, so that it uses up more of the tie and the narrow end isn't longer than the wide end. I find that using a full-Windsor makes the knot large enough that my head looks small. Also, most of the shirts I've found are boys' shirts and have button-down collars, which don't work with a full-Windsor.

* Trivia: The four-in-hand knot comes from the days of carriages. The knot is similar to that tied in the reins by coachmen when they were driving a team of four horses.

bi_weird
01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh but guys, a bowtie is so easy! My ex wears them all the time (love it!) and he showed me how. Way easier than a regular tie, imho.

tracy_Trevor
01-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Guys there is a great book called "The 85 ways to tie a tie". Its by two mathematicians Thomas Fink & Yong Mao.

It shows in great detail how to tie a tie.

regards

Tracy

Kimberley
01-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Well guys, is that around the wrists and ankles? Oooops. wrong thread....

For a formal occasion: Narrow tie and Four-in-Hand Knot.
For a semi formal with a medium to wide tie: Half Windsor or with a narrow tie a Full Windsor.
For just whatever strikes you for a time out with the boys or *giggle" wenches, a Full Windsor. However. a Full Windsor is a wide knot so use it conservatively with a wide tie.... unless you are in a Zoot Suit.... MY FAV!!!!!!!!

:hugs:
Kimberley

pocoyo
01-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Well guys, is that around the wrists and ankles? Oooops. wrong thread...

A-HEM.....
It seems to me that a certain young lady is rather coming out of her shell lately! .... :D ....

Kieron Andrew
01-27-2007, 05:21 PM
A-HEM.....
It seems to me that a certain young lady is rather coming out of her shell lately! .... :D ....
im blaming you lol

pocoyo
01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
im blaming you lol

Me? I'm just an innocent little lad....

Kimberley
01-27-2007, 05:28 PM
im blaming you lol

Oh dont be so quick lil darlin..... Maybe we (kerri and me) have been trying to get the rest of you guys to come out....) ooops did I say something naughty? *must be the abundance of Balvenie Single Malt today*

Dasein9
01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
And here I was going to say something about Kimberley and -- ahem! -- discipline yesterday, but deleted the post, lest it be misunderstood.

Kimberley
01-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Ohhhh not unless it is with silk....

Dasein9
01-27-2007, 08:26 PM
That could be arranged... ;)

noname
01-28-2007, 04:17 AM
I tie with the full winsor (sp?) It really is the only way to get a tie know symetical. Much of the look of the knot depends on the cut and shape of the tie. Sometimes, it takes a couple of retries to get it right. This coming from a GM who wears a tie almost everyday.

Also, it's important to get that pinch in the tie going into the knot. It can really make or break the look of tie. Even more so if the tie is incadescant (sp?) it can look really sharp.

John
01-28-2007, 06:23 AM
I have no idear which one I use. I just do it like my dad taught me for school.

Kimberley
01-28-2007, 09:16 AM
And here I was going to say something about Kimberley and -- ahem! -- discipline yesterday, but deleted the post, lest it be misunderstood.

Can always PM those and put multiple recipients on them....
We've had to do that a few times so people wouldnt take exception. The last one being absolutely hilarious (had to go email), but it could never have survived the main forums.
Hmmmm. Discipline? Oh those lovely cabin boys... and they are so naughty.:D

Scrunchie-Bunchie
01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm a genetic man. I absolutely hate neck ties but this is the way I tie them....

1. lift your collar and put the tie around your neck with the wide end a lot shorter than the narrow end. This amount varies from tie to tie.

2. wrap the wide end around the narrow end twice then feed the wide end under the massed partial knot, up through between the ends that come from around your neck.

3. Slide the wide end through the massed partial knot - under the top layer but above the second.

4. Pull the narrow end to tighten the tie around your neck then the wide end to tighten the knot.

You might find a tie clip is useful for securing the now flapping loose tie to your shirt.

Ties are a pain - I refuse to wear them. When I must, I use a clip-on.

Ryan
01-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Oh Lord I have no idea how I tie mine. The way in which we were taught at school is how I do it. When I get more time I will have a look at Kierons links. Right now I gotta get showered and dressed as I am having a woman and photographer coming from a magazine to do an article about me :) I might have to start charging soon, what dya reckon?

JeanneF
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
I have to wear a tie everyday to work, so I have a lot of experience with them. I tend to use a four-in-hand, because it's (IMO) the easiest and quickest to tie. Ties that have a lighter fabric look better with a Half-Windsor...a lightweight tie is sometimes really hard to dimple properly with a four-in-hand. I don't like a full Windsor, because it's such a big knot and very formal looking, and just not really my style.

Bowties are fun, btw. If you really want to liven up a suit, it's a great way to mix it up and look unique. You have to have the right attitude to pull it off, though. Think Andre 3000, not Orville Redenbacher. ;)