PDA

View Full Version : Interest waxing and waning

Rachel Signy
01-28-2007, 12:09 AM
I've noticed several people talk about how their interest in dressing comes and goes. I'm feeling it right now.

It's been an intense week. I joined this place, and got a big enough cheque to fund my biggest splurge ever. Since I've spent most of my life in borderline poverty, this wasn't that big a splurge, but I feel guilty about a couple of unwise purchases (paying full price for a denim skirt that screams hippy grandmother - what was I thinking? I know what I was thinking:eek: - I badly wanted a skirt, any skirt. And it's even a bit big: I didn't have to shop in the plus size section!. I could get a size 14 just about anywhere - but I digress).

I've been clothes shopping for both guy-me and girl-me - girl-me is starting from scratch after a purge, and both-mes are smaller now and need smaller clothes. And you know what? I've enjoyed the guy stuff at least as much. I *know* what male clothing I like - my female self is in the adolescent experimentation and making horrible mistakes stage.

And sometimes I'm just pooped. I went dressed this evening (in that hippy-granny skirt) to a coffeeshop and then to the supermarket. Things went OK but I just felt self-conscious. Mind you, I was wearing bright red lipstick to go with my top, and I need to feel extra-confident to feel comfortable wearing that shade even home alone. But I felt pooped and un-special and even took everything off including the makeup the minute I got home.

I'm thinking of taking things easy for a bit, although I found some shoes (1" pumps) while doing some shopping for guy-me that have my name on them - if the store carries larger sizes: I'm 10 1/2 - 11 and have definitely WIDE feet.

Can anyone relate? I don't have any partner issues (or partner), I just find I have bursts of enthusiasm and times I'm less interested.

Michelia
01-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Because the drab side of me is just that - DRAB. I never shop or walk in a store to browse and I will get everything I need every five years. I do not really care what I look like - it is terrible. But the fem side of me really cares and I have been learning through a lot of experimentation. And many mistakes! It bears repeating - it makes sense to do all your experimentation with thrift shops until you get your own style and basic working wardrobe. Then you can splurge on occasion with what you really want and you know will work.

Michelia