PDA

View Full Version : Equality Illinois

dann
01-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the Equality Illinois Orginization. It's an orginization that works to promote equal rights for the GLBT community. Once a year they hold a huge black tie (and/or sexy dress!!!)event in the Grand Ballroom of the Chicago Hilton.Complete with upscale dining, political speakers and a really cool silent auction. The evening wraps up with a huge dance party. Really classy. The irony for me is that for the past 5 years, I've been on the production staff (as an outside contractor not en femme) for this event.So from my vantage point I get a chance to observe and at least feel somewhat part of our community without outting myself to anyone other than my wife and therapist.
At any rate, I notice this year a much larger number of CD and TS's in attendance. I noticed alot more married CD couples as well.What I really enjoy most about working this event is that the attendees are made up of all walks of life, straight, gay, any race, creed or color. Its' not some big over the top "gay pride" type festival. (Which ofcourse would fine as well). It's just a collection of GLBT folk and those who care about them coming together in a show of support.Very impressive indeed. And it was good to see so many married CD couples there this year.
Just thought I'd mention it.