PDA

View Full Version : I know a lot of you gals like to wear dressers to the mall

Paula T
01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
but my wife and I were at the mall eating lunch the other day and we were sitting in a part of the resturant that had a window right beside one of the mall entrances. Well for about an hour I watched ladies come and go and none and I mean none of them had on a skirt or dress type outfit. So it is JMHO that to pass reasonalbly good when out shopping wear jeans. Bye the way some had on heels or high heeled boots on under their jeans. It's cold up here so maybe that is the reason.:2c: any opinions ladies?

marie354
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I spent a winter in St. Paul. 17 below zero is a warm day! No wonder they aren't wearing skirts. Would you? Really? When I was there it was double long johns, tripple thermal socks, large boots that fit over your shoes, and a coat and snowsuit. I'd say it was pretty cold. It was about 1970 or 71 when I was there, but I'm sure that the winters there are still very cold.

Jesse69
01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, I've shopped in a 2 pc dress suit and skirt suits no problems. Only got read once when my voice slipped. But now I have casual wear / pants to blend in. Besides, it's cheaper than the dry cleaning bill for suits!

Ashley1
01-29-2007, 11:16 PM
All that I can say is that those girls don't know what they are missing!

susie evans
01-30-2007, 12:11 AM
it depends on the mall i have been to south coast plaza and alot of ggs wear
skirts and heels it's good training for us to study :heehee: :heehee:

susie

NatalieGirl
01-30-2007, 12:12 AM
It's not just the mall. Dresses and skirts have largely gone out of style in a lot of places nowadays. You even see GGs wearing pants in church.

I don't understand why. If I were a GG I would be dressed to the nines every day.

Ashley1
01-30-2007, 01:05 AM

susie
Susie, have you ever been to South Coast in a dress?
Ashley1

Rachel Morley
01-30-2007, 01:12 AM
I personally wear either capris or a denim or khaki skort. But I do agree with you, the amount of GGs that wear a tailored skirt or a dress to go shopping is very small.

goofus
01-30-2007, 01:50 AM
I personally wear either capris or a denim or khaki skort. But I do agree with you, the amount of GGs that wear a tailored skirt or a dress to go shopping is very small.

I'd venture to guess that most gg's, if they are shopping and dressed in a tailored skirt or dress, they have just come from either work, church, or some occasion where they were required to be a bit more dressed up...

Sandra
01-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Yes I'm one of those GG who wear trousers or jeans a lot because I feel comfy in them and don't feel the need to get dressed up just to go shopping.

samperle
01-30-2007, 05:55 AM
It seems that skirts and dresses have gone from the mainstream of the female world. And what a disappointment. Nothing is as sexy and attractive as a properly dressed woman in a skirt and heels. I am not talking about ultra high heels and mini skirts here, but those appropriate to the occasion and location.

There is a time for pants or jeans, but not all the time.

I know that many of us are "overdressed" when we go out, but is that an indication of how we dress or how women dress today?

Samantha

Mary L
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
The thing is that while skirts and dresses may not be the norm, they are fully and completely acceptable for women to wear. Other women, and certainly men, simply do not care whether pants or skirts are worn. You will not be "outed" because of a skirt, but you may be outed by the kind of skirt.

LindaTS
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Where I do most of my shopping here in central NY, the Utica area, it's very unusual to see a woman wearing a dress or skirt. That's why I usually wear jeans, and always heels, when I'm out during the day. Ocassionally I do wear a skirt and when that happens I seem to get a lot of attention from the men. I'm fairly sure I pass because most of the women don't seem to pay much attention to me. I have to admit though that I feel more secure when in jeans like the other women are wearing. We need to blend in.

Wendi0012
01-30-2007, 12:10 PM
ladies they make skirts and dresses for all seasons and occasions I myself don't own any type of womans pant capris etc: I live in one of the coldesat regions of new york and believe me ladies skirts and dresses are in no matter the time of year and place you are

anne71
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
In this part of the UK perhaps 12.5% to 15% of the females wear skirts. Unfortunately what the US does today the UK seems to do tomorrow!
Have you noticed that many mothers who wear jeans and t-shirts themselves dress their young girls in pretty skirts or dresses?

finacarina
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Lets make a correction. If you pass you pass no matter what you are wearing. If you dont pass putting on pants is not going to make you passable, less noticeable yes but passable no. Now if you want to go out and not get any looks from the peeps then yes by all means you should wear pants. But if you dont mind (like some of us) the looks that you will get when wearing a dress or skirt especially if you have nice legs and a butt, then do whatever makes you feel sexy!

amanda barber
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I've seen lots of women in skirts here. It seems that young girls wear mini's and women wear long/ankle legnth. The knee length skirt may be dieing but not the skirt itself.

JoAnnDallas
01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Here in Dallas, I see a lot of GG's in jeans, but I also see a lot in slacks, capries, shorts, skorts, and mini-skirts. Most are wearing sneakers or flip-flops, but some do wear heels. Now on Sunday's you will see a lot of dresses, skirts/blouses, skirt suits, and high heels at the various Cafeterias and eating establishments.

sterling12
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree, if you want to "blend", wear jeans and a cute top. if you want people to notice you and look twice, wear a skirt or a dress. At least here in Florida jeans or baggy poly pants seems to be the current "uniform", especially if you are a middle-aged or older woman.

However, I can add just a little bit of hope for us. For some people The Uni might be changing.

I have noticed in the malls, at the upscale stores and even sometimes at Walmart, you will see women almost always between 25 and 40 who are wearing skirts. It isn't always during times when one would predict they are coming from work or Church, i.e. Saturday Morning, and they seem to be very self-aware of their dress and femininity. At least that's what I see, when I study their smiling faces.

I don't think we can call it a trend yet, but I would guesstimate about 10 to 15%. I don't know if they are finally rebelling against societal expectations, or if the latest self-help, "how to find a guy" tome has advised them to dress up and look more feminine. Or, it may be none of the above and their just sick of wearing jeans. Most of us gals like to change our styles at least every once in a while!

The young gals who go to the swing dances are really getting into 40s, 50s, and 60s fashions. I think for them it's a new thrill, sort of like "dressing up" in Mommy's clothes. they seem to really love doing dresses, stockings, and heels.

Fashions change, who knows? Maybe 10 years from now, people will be writing in to This Forum, complaining that they never get to wear jeans anymore. "I always have to wear those darn Jackie Kennedy Suits with the little pillbox hat just to blend in." Well.....it could happen!

Peace and love, Joanie

Sierra Evon
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I also frequent the malls & rearly ever see women wearing dresses or skirts ?
Quit currious ? , I see alot of jeans and capri's , I also have myself too, I guess I'll have to start a new Skirt revolution calling !!!!!!!!:happy:

Richelle
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I agree with Susie, it depends upon the mall. I think the warmer weather we have here in So. Cal allows us ladies to wear skirts and dresses will out shopping.

I have worn skirts to all the local orange county malls and I always note that I am not the only girl wearing a skirt or dress.

Richelle

susie

KimberlyS
01-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Paula, I will not disagree with you that mostly jeans and some slacks are the main attire over skirts for most women. And I will also agree heavily that weather and temperature has a lot to do with what not only woman, but men wear. But there are skirts out there warm or cold. Check out some of the higher end stores, anchor stores in malls that usually also have outside entries. Interestingly I see more skirts in these types of stores.

Personally I go for a look that will blend with those around me. So if it is to the mall or many other places, it is a longer casually or a jean skirt which blends very well into those wearing jeans. The top is similar, one that will blend with those around me. The times I have have been to the mall have been with a skirt every time, except once in a casual pant outfit similar to what many woman would wear. And interestingly I got more people looking at me and talking to me in the pant outfit than I ever have in a skirt. And yes they knew I was a guy in the pant outfit as their main question was did I dress that way often and why.

KimberlyS-CD
Joe in skirts

nancigirl
01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
JoAnnDallas,
You are lucky to be in Texas; wish i still lived there too. Like everywhere else, girls in Texas dress casually lots of the time. However, unlike many other places you can still see girls wearing skirts or dresses often---even sometimes at the supermarket.
Now i wish they would bring back the 'Big Hair' too. LOL!
Nancy

Debra Lynn
01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay, let me throw a thought in here. Are women's fashions moving towards the male spectrum again? And if so, where does that leave men? I would have to guess that perhaps we are ahead of the shift by wearing more feminine clothes while the females wear more masculine clothes. Maybe the rest of the guys will soon be trying to mimic us!

Actually, women find dressing down a lot easier than dressing up, unless they are trying to impress or attract attention. For a lot of women, not attracting attention when they are doing mundane things(yes someshopping is mundane in some aspects) makes it easier. Of course, when you want to attract flies, then honey is a good lure....

Then again, 1/3 of americans are overweight and a significant number of those who are, are seriously overweight. That does not lend itself to high self esteem and the easiest way to hide what you don't like is to drape a sweat over it so the details become lost.

Next time you hit Wal-Mart (observing people), check your own reaction to each person that comes down the aisle. You tend to pay attention and perhaps even more attention, if they are dressed nice, dressed outlandish ( weird effect) or dressed in a uniform. The others will tend to blend into a flow of people that you won't remember (blend into the background).:happy:

RobertaFermina
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
This is the next frontier for me, dressing in pants.

I would have to give up the symbolic power of a dress, and its shape to suggest a waist, and other fem characteristics that I do not have.

Oh my, oh my. A new look to pioneer for myself.

Not in a hurry, however.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

juliek
01-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I was shopping at Nordtroms (for shoes for my drab side) at the Pentagon City Mall outside of Washington DC. Let me tell you, It was a fashion show at the mall. All of the GGs were dressed quite nicely. Over half of the women shopping were in skirts and some of the best looking shoes a girl could want.

I wish I had been shopping for girl shoes instead of boy shoes. They had so much to offer and the ladies shopping there obviously were good customers.

Skirts are alive and well in the metropolitan areas of the U.S.A. So I guess it it depends on where you shop. In my hometown in Colorado, there would never be girls dressed as well as the girls in DC.

Julie.

janet p
01-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but going out in a dresser 4 or 6 draw is kind of odd.:tongueout :joke: :laughing: :love: :love:

noname
01-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Skirts are alive and well in the metropolitan areas of the U.S.A. So I guess it it depends on where you shop. In my hometown in Colorado, there would never be girls dressed as well as the girls in DC.

The girls at work were talking about this, they said it's kind of an east coast west coast thing.

kassi
01-31-2007, 02:30 AM
if you want to make yourself look more girly in jeans then wear a really girly top to go with them.

Kristen Kelly
01-31-2007, 05:14 AM
I'd venture to guess that most gg's, if they are shopping and dressed in a tailored skirt or dress, they have just come from either work, church, or some occasion where they were required to be a bit more dressed up...

I reserve the skirts and dresses for the days I play hooky from work and go shopping, I blend into the business crowd then shopping at lunch time.

Raychel
01-31-2007, 07:19 AM
From what I have notice here in New England. If a woman has a dress on she is either going to a wedding or a funeral. Other than that you almost never see a woman dressed up nice. And if by chance you do see one dressed up, 70% of the time she has dress pants on.

So we better pickup the pace on our CD acceptance. Just think of all the dress makers that will eb going out of business. Our little way of saving the economy.
:heehee:

michellect
01-31-2007, 09:26 AM
It seems that women are getting away from the ultimate sexy look....A skirt, pantyhose and heels. It's a shame actually. Most men desire to see a woman dressed that way.