PDA

View Full Version : FtM on Tyra Banks

CaptLex
01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I watched the Tyra Banks show today - not a big fan of talk shows, generally, but it held my attention because her first guest was an FtM TS named Joe (previously called Tammy, I think). Joe is married to a very understanding man and they have 3 kids (ages 10, 7 and 4) who also seem to be taking it well. He's not on hormones yet and has not had any surgeries (and that binder was working about as well on him as it does on me, unfortunately), but he's out to everyone now (especially now that he's been on TV) and lives full time as male.

I felt that Tyra didn't give him much time to answer the deep questions she threw at him rat-tat-tat, but he did well enough fielding them. When she asked Joe what his spouse had to say when he first came out to him, Joe answered that the husband was cool with it (hey, that gives me hope). So, they brought him out and asked him why he was okay with it all. Turns out the hubby identifies as bi, and they now have a gay male relationship, which they're both happy with (I wish I was that lucky).

There was a therapist in the audience who took the time to explain gender identity dysphoria and the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care, but I think most of that went over the audience's heads, as they seemed more interested in the fact that the couple consider themselves gay male parents. Then they trotted out the kids, which made me cringe a bit, but they were terrific. Even the therapist was surprised at how well-adjusted they were. What surprised me the most is how the kids never screwed up Joe's pronouns, considering they were calling this person "mommy" until very recently.

There was also an FtM TS in the audience who has transitioned, and he was telling Joe what to expect with the hormones, especially the first two years (you know, deeper voice, facial hair, etc.). All in all, an interesting show, even if the audience didn't seem to be grasping most of it. Maybe they will after they see more of this stuff in the media. Anyone else catch it?

Kate Simmons
01-31-2007, 05:48 AM
No I missed it Cap. I haven't been feeling well lately, so was resting most of yesterday. I usually have the TV on to listen to while I'm on the computer, so probably would have seen it had I been up. Sounds quite interesting. I'm glad you got to see it anyway. I understand also that Tyra had or has a show coming up where she dresses as a man. I was wondering if anyone saw that one as I'm interested in that kind of stuff as you well know. Hope you are feeling better Hon.:happy: Sal

Lex
01-31-2007, 07:30 AM
That sounds really interesting.
Did his husband know about his transgenderness (can't think of a better word, lol) soon after they met, when they met, years later, etc?

Kimberley
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
I am really not a fan of television at the best of times but that is another can of worms. At any rate, from what I know, Tyra Banks seems to address LGBT issues more often and more fairly than anyone on the tube. She still has the same problem most "hosts" do; letting her guests talk. She may not be the most articulate but she is very down to earth (from what I have seen of her in interviews) which would indicate she is reaching exactly the population we need to inform.

I am not at all surprised at her treatment of any transgendered guest. Dr.Phil could take a few lessons from her IMHO.

:hugs:
Kimberley

CaptLex
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
That sounds really interesting.
Did his husband know about his transgenderness (can't think of a better word, lol) soon after they met, when they met, years later, etc?

Joe said when he told his husband that he was trans, the husband said he wasn't a bit surprised. I'm guessing it may have been that Joe expressed both male and female characteristics which attracted him in the first place. Wish I could find a guy like that - he was cute too.

Sal, I hope you're feeling better soon, hun. :happy: