PDA

View Full Version : Health coverage

Renee Talia
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows of or has come across a health insurance company/policy that covers transgender issues, such as: hormone costs, therapy costs, and/or surgery costs if one decides to go that far. I am from Ohio if someone has information on this state in specific,
thanks to all
Jenna

Sharon
01-30-2007, 10:17 PM
If you have a good policy, with good prescription drug coverage, then your hormones may be covered, just as long as your GP is willing to work with your endocrinologist in prescribing them. Therapy is also covered by many plans, although even the best often limit how many hours they will cover in a year's time(anything is better than nothing). Surgery? Good luck! :happy:

It seems you have some homework to do.

Keep us informed, huh? And good luck.

Stephenie S
01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
The health plan in the city of San Francisco covers TG needs. I am sure there are others. Several of the Canadian Provinces cover TG health needs. My plan covers my visits to my GP and my endo and therapist, but I don't even try to get them to cover my HRT. And I know they are not interested in paying for any surgery.

Lovies,
Steph

Josie06
01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I was just wondering if anyone knows of or has come across a health insurance company/policy that covers transgender issues, such as: hormone costs, therapy costs, and/or surgery costs if one decides to go that far. I am from Ohio if someone has information on this state in specific,
thanks to all
Jenna

Jenna, look at the Human Rights Campaign Foundation site. Under Workplace you will find 'Corporate Equity Index' where you can do an 'Detailed Search (http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Search_the_Database&Template=/CustomSource/WorkNet/srch.cfm&searchtypeid=1&searchSubTypeID=2)". Under 'Policies/Type of Benefits'.

It will list all the companies that responded to the survey and many do have coverage for HRT, surgery, counseling. You may have to change jobs if you can find an opening at one of them. Ohio has seven headquartered there, but all these are Fortune 500 companies and are pretty much nationwide.

Good luck.

Sharon
01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
An interesting article:

San Francisco Chronicle, CA, USA

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO

More U.S. employers cover sex transition surgery

Large corporations follow city's lead in offering benefit

Wyatt Buchanan, Chronicle Staff Writer

People who change their gender must undergo rigorous mental health
evaluations and trial periods that last years, and they sometimes
face stigma, but the biggest challenge for many is paying for the
process.

In the past few years, however, following the model of San Francisco,
some of the world's largest employers have begun covering surgical
procedures, including gender-reassignment surgery, and a host of
other related care.

When San Francisco became the first major American employer known to
offer comprehensive coverage for gender transitions in 2001, some
city officials feared that people who wanted to transition would
flock here for work and bankrupt the city's insurance fund. But it
turned out that covering transition surgeries and other treatment --
which can cost more than $50,000 -- cost the city relatively little,
because there was no flood of claims.

General Motors, IBM, Eastman Kodak and Hallmark Cards, as well as the
universities of Michigan and California, now include transition-
related coverage in their standard employee benefits.

"We took a look at it, the cost was negligible and we said it was the
right thing to do," said David Kaffnoff, a spokesman for Eastman
Kodak in Rochester, N.Y. "We don't sit here in any judgment on how a
person chooses to self-identify. "

Company officials compared transition benefits with benefits workers
already enjoyed -- like hormone replacement for menopausal women or
reconstructive surgery for people disfigured in an accident -- and
granted the request, Kaffnoff said.

The remainder of the article can be found at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/2awbwp

Chrissycd
02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
My Blue Cross Blue Shield of MN pays ALL of the following 100% after I pay my deductible: Voice therapy, HRT meds, gender therapy. It also pays a portion of GRS, but not as much as I'd hope. I'm in the process of deciding where to have it, but coverage reaches all 50 states and Canada.
At the Minneapolis National Coming Out Day event, a speaker there told the audience that his employer (Prudential Financial just approved FULL insurance coverage for trans employees who undergo GRS, so if you want the free ride, get a job as a financial planner (not my cup of tea).

Falisha
02-04-2007, 12:39 AM
I also have Blue Cross/Blue sheild thru my employer and I have to agree it is great. It covers my hormones, visits to my endoc, any therapy sessions I ocasionaly go to, (i've been living full time for 8 years now and my therapist thinks i'm very well adjusted, but it's nice to touch base with her now and again.) It also covers mamagrams which are expensive. Yes girls, I said mamagrams. If anybody has not thought about this issue, I strongly urge you to begin getting them done. Once we begin HRT and breast developement begins, we can develop breast cancer just like any other woman, so keep that in mind girls.
About the only thing my policy won't cover is actuall SRS.

Ann lee
02-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I to have blue shield insurance but haven't used it yet for anything? But the queston is what kind of doctor do i look for to get hormones?

Anna Lee