PDA

View Full Version : Is size an issue?

Staci G
02-02-2007, 06:53 PM
I am a big girl 6'2" and well.. not small boned I wear a size 22 skirt and 24 top I see so many CDers that are small girls and pass easily is there a style or a method that might help me as a big girl to be less of a neon sign saying "Look at me Im a guy in a dress" HELP ME :o

Karren H
02-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Age and gravity will fix that .. over time.... long time... Used to be nearly 6'... but now at 5' 9" and 175 lbs, size 10 dress..... just right but took 3 or 4 decades to get here!! lol

Karren

Jesse69
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
There is a member here named Sedona I think she's 6' 3" tall and she road bikes a lot for a lean weight, down to 190 lbs. She fits into size 12 stuff. So I suggest get into road biking and bike a lot to lose weight. That's what I do too and I have 6 road bikes (some are very expensive).

Sedona has a great looking bod and you should check out her pics.

Road biking has made me slim too and I'm a size 4 at 5' 4" tall.

And road biking is an excuse to shave your legs!

marie354
02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
My GF is about your same size. (Although she has and still is loosing some.)
I say you should do what she does... Shop, shop, shop.
Seriously though, you need the plus sized shops. That's where my GF goes, and actually she looks very good for a plus sized woman. 40DD up top, so some of her tops are kinda big.
There are a lot of internet sites too as well as e-bay, just type "women+plus" into your search box and click go or search. That should bring you up a lot of online stores.
:hugs:

DonnaT
02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I wear about the same sizes, maybe a smaller skirt, and I'm only 5'9", or was. ;)

I don't worry about being spotted as a guy in a dress. That's what I am, afterall.

Just be confident in who you are, and when out, don't look scared nor try to hide by looking down. Look up, smile and keep on keepin on.

Sally24
02-02-2007, 07:20 PM
First off you need to examine your weight and see if that is an issue. You might truely be "big boned" and if that is the case, then losing much weight may not be an option or a solution. If you are carrying extra weight than you need to decide if you want to lose some of that. There is some documentation for the t-community where they go on a diet to lose muscle and try to only exercise the lower body. If you have heavy arms that could help in the upper body to make you appear more fem.

There is no magic bullet to make your body appear more female. It is different for each person. Analyze what you have and what you need to lose or gain to change your basic shape. Be realistic about your goals, and work at it and you may be surprised.

Sally

EricaCD
02-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I am 6'3", though a smaller build than you. Being this height is, for a CD, a blessing and a curse. The curse, of course, is that you are unlikely to ever be mistaken for a genetic female. (Other than by virtue of people simply not paying attention.) The blessing is that you can focus on making yourself as womanly as possible, and still enabling people to interact with you as a woman. And without having a perpetual worry about "passing", ironically you might find this latter goal even easier.

I am under no illusions about people thinking I am genetically female. Still, the entire world relates to me as a woman, and that is really what I care about.

Good luck!
Erica

Amy07
02-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Shop Women's sizes from JCPenny, Jessica London, and other places. You can get really nice things, when you shop for size. I purposely lost some weight and was thrilled to fit nicely into a 18 Misses pants/skirt. You can't do anything about shoe size....hahhaha

Caitlintgsd
02-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm 6'2 myself. If you're on the broadshouldered side of things you might want to avoid ponchos and shawls as they just look wide. Darker colors are slimming and it works for shoulders. White would look like a snowfield across wider shoulders. I've found that pink can have the same effect as well.

Jasmine Ellis
02-02-2007, 08:08 PM
don't put yourself down big is beautiful and out there is beautiful cloths for you to wear to make you even more beautiful than you are now.

Joy Carter
02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah I'm six foot with a womanly figure of 41' 41' 41':eek: I just don't worry about it. I buy tunic tops and so far I feel just fine. After all I'm the only judge of me. The rest can just piss-off !:heehee:

RobynM
02-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Staci, lots of support and encouragement around but no actual advice. So here goes with Robyn's guide to looking good for the larger lady.
First the DO NOTS (no, not doughnuts although a few would go down well just now)
Never be tempted to wear tents and other "fat clothes" they only work on thin people.
Never try to blend in, you can't.

What you can do is take advantage of your stature.

You should be looking for clothes that are close fitting without being actually tight. Boot cut jeans/trousers for instance definitely flatter the fuller figure because they take the attention away from the waist area and down to the legs. When buying skirts or trousers, avoid font zips and broad waist bands, they also concentrate the eye in the wrong places - elasticated waists are also bad, unless you are slim they will always show a big line round your waist. Side zips with a small waist band ( or none at all) are perfect.
For skirts go for bias cut or offset/random panels, calf length works really well though if you have good legs knee length will also work - if you have very, very good legs go a little higher. Calf length skirts worn with boots look particularly good on tall women and tend to make you look shorter ( which is why short girls often look a bit dumpy wearing them).

AVOID BRIGHT COLOURS. Mid tones will soften your appearance and make your size less obvious. Of course, there's always black - never fails.

Prepare to break some rules with tops. Get them quite fitted but buy soft fabrics, never wear lacy/organza or chiffon type tops - they will make you look huge - shiney tends not to work but silk always looks good. If your shoulders and upper arms are a bit big, choose flowing sleeves - 3/4 sleeves are very good.
Then there's the question of stripes. The rules say that larger sizes should wear vertical stripes and never horizontal. The rules are wrong. Look for tops in three or more contrasting colours with varying width horizontal stripes, pastel colours are best. Once again, the effect is to soften and break up the outline making body shape less obvious.

Sorry if my being a little blunt causes offence but if someone is 6'3" and size 20+ there's no point in pretending they're 5'6" and size 10.

Amy Hepker
02-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Don't feel bad, I don't think I could ever pass, but then again, you never know.

loki_uk
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't think height and weight so matter as having confidence in yourself

Staci G
02-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Thank you ladies for the encouragement and advice Robyn I will print that out as I know I wont remember it but will take it shopping next time the wife is out.. It is just wonderful to know I am not on this boat alone

Love you all

Since12
02-03-2007, 12:09 AM
I am 6'3" but I can't help you because I only underdress. I am the size of the Rock.

Kate Simmons
02-03-2007, 02:01 AM
I don't think it's size as much as it is your manner and your confidence as some of the girls have said.Just be yourself and the best person you can be and don't worry about anyone else like Joy said. You may be surprised at the results. For instance, I never tell anyone I'm a "woman", but hear comments all the time regarding "she" and "her". I'm 5'8' and wear a size 14 mostly and am just l'il ole me.:happy:

Marianna Julianna
02-03-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm like you Staci, 6,4, take a 22 usually (although as I recall UK sizes are slightly different to US, I never can remember whether one up or down though). Height is what bothers me, but when I'm out and about (as him unfortunately) I look around and I see tall real girls, there aren't many but there always seem to be more than you expect. Women are getting taller, which is good, because it means that maybe we can stand out less. I'm not one to give too much advice, because I don't go out (not possible where I live and for other reasons) but I would say look around, see what women your age and build are wearing, my renaissance was prompted by taking notice of what my wife (also a big, beautiful girl) was wearing, and could be wearing. For a long time I was out of dressing, for various reason, one of them chronic illness, but then I came back in and ever since my, and the wifes,(often one and the same) wardrobes have increased considerably. We were both in a bit of time warp, one way and another, sometimes I still am and she has to wear what's suitable for work and stuff a lot of the time. I believe that I have somehow brought her to be more accepting of her assets and flatter herself more when she wants to dress nicely, and it has done the same for me. Like I say look around, here in the UK a lot of placs have started having tall ranges (although not quite as tall as us) and if that's happening that tells you something, it's not all T girls buying.

Sandra
02-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't think height and weight so matter as having confidence in yourself

:iagree:

Kristen Kelly
02-03-2007, 09:10 AM
There is a member here named Sedona I think she's 6' 3" tall and she road bikes a lot for a lean weight, down to 190 lbs. She fits into size 12 stuff. So I suggest get into road biking and bike a lot to lose weight. That's what I do too and I have 6 road bikes (some are very expensive).

Sedona has a great looking bod and you should check out her pics.

Road biking has made me slim too and I'm a size 4 at 5' 4" tall.

And road biking is an excuse to shave your legs!

While married years ago (looking back was biking to get away from wife) used to bike with a club, rode 200+ miles a week was in the best shape of my life, could eat whatever I wanted and had killer legs in a dress.