PDA

View Full Version : En femme at the nail salon

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
As mentioned (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51087), I no longer write about most of my outings, but this one counts as "special."

I've been getting manicures and pedicures at a local salon for about a year now -- and yes that does include getting color on my toes -- and the nail techs not only know about my crossdressing but always want to know if I've got new photos. Last time, one of them asked when they were going to see me en femme, so....

Yesterday I came en femme. Some of the reactions were priceless. I did get a bit of a second-take at the reception desk -- but that's OK because while I blend in crowd, I don't have any illusions about being mistaken for female in up-close interaction.

One of the nail techs, Cammie, came out because it was time for my appointment and it tok her a minute to recognize me -- then was "OMG!" Unfortunately, she tipped off the others, so I wasn't able to get their candid reactions. (One of the hair stylists also told me she didn't recognize me until she stared at me for a minute.)

There was a woman in her 20s getting a manicure, who did a brief double-take initially, but then treated it as no big deal. The nail techs wanted to know if I did my own make-up -- and they were oohing and ahhing over it once I told them that yes I did. (Personally, I still think I've got a bit to learn, but it's not the first time I've gotten compliments on it.) The other woman commented that she'd never really learned to do make-up herself. I replied that I wasn't born knowing it either, it was just a matter of practice, if she cared to learn.

So it just like another day at the nail salon with all of us chatting. Sally, one of the other techs, commented that she kept forgetting I wasn't a woman. Another tech Chrissie -- who in the past had asked all sort of friendly questions -- said she missed having me in guy mode. I told not to worry, I took requests so I could come back en homme next month. Chrissie mentioned that maybe I could alternate.

The first woman and left another client, Krystal, came in to fix a broken nail. She didn't bat an eye, but she'd been there before when I'd talked about my crossdressing. Then came the thing I totally didn't expect -- I got upstaged by Krystal! I'm not sure how they got on the topic, but Krystal started showing Chrissie some dirty pictures and animations (such as Fred and Wilma like you'd never seen them on TV) that were on her cell phone. Pretty soon, several of the other hairstylists were coming over to take a look and asking Krystal to forward them to their phones.

I'd made the mistake of wearing closed-toe shoes, so I had to wait around about 30 minutes for the polish to fully dry (and I still got a smudge, grrr). In that time Krystal left and a mother came in with her twin nine-year-old daughters, who were having a birthday pedicure. I got a little nervous, knowing moms can get protective of their children, but if she noticed that I was a guy in dress, she didn't let on. (The two girls did sneak an occasional peek in my direction.) However, I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall after I left... Guess I'll find out next time.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

EricaCD
02-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Terrific! So you actually did it....and it sounds like it was a great time for all. Good for you!

You are absolutely right about the great feeling when your CDing is no longer "the main event" and people just start automaticallly relating to you as female. That, to my mind, is as fulfilling a definition of "passing" as we could desire.

(A mildly envious) Erica

DanaJ
02-04-2007, 05:47 PM
All I can say Marlena is - thanks for sharing your story, I loved it! I get my nails done all the time, but mostly in male mode (a few times during a makeover, so I was en femme I guess). Anyway, I hate when your toe polish smudges, I usually drive home barefoot no matter how cold it is :)

Thanks again for sharing your story, I felt like I was there :)

Joy Carter
02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
So good of you to share your day with us. This would be my next adventure on my gender quest. Getting my nails done. Are you getting false nails or are they doing your natural nails ? I want to find somehow to get nice false one's in my large size.

Thanks Again Joy

Sally24
02-04-2007, 09:04 PM
That sounds like so much fun! So far I've always done my own nails. I occasionally let them grow out pretty far when I have an outing coming up. I would love to go get a pedicure and manicure just before starting a vacation. It's such a really girly thing to do! My wife, even being a GG, has never had a manicure either. Thought we might start our next vacation off right and get one together.

Thanks for sharing Marlena

Sally

susie evans
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
sounds like a fun adventure to me :heehee: :heehee:

:hugs: susie

sissystephanie
02-05-2007, 12:35 AM
So good of you to share your day with us. This would be my next adventure on my gender quest. Getting my nails done. Are you getting false nails or are they doing your natural nails ? I want to find somehow to get nice false one's in my large size.

Thanks Again Joy

That sounds like so much fun! So far I've always done my own nails. I occasionally let them grow out pretty far when I have an outing coming up. I would love to go get a pedicure and manicure just before starting a vacation. It's such a really girly thing to do! My wife, even being a GG, has never had a manicure either. Thought we might start our next vacation off right and get one together.

Thanks for sharing Marlena

Sally

As I have mentioned before, I get a manicure (fill-in on my acrylics) and a pedicure(colored of course) every two weeks in a Nail Salon. I have never been in the shop dressed like a man! I do not pass, but always am dressed in definitely feminine clothes and open toe sandals (so as Not to get smudges!) Of course, I live in Georgia where it isn't snowing!!:heehee: I highly recommend manicures, and pedicures for every CD. It is very girly, as Sally said, and it sure is fun. Joy, go to a Nail Salon and tell them you want to get a set of Acrylics. Any good Salon will do them for you, they don't care whether you are a man or a woman as long as you can pay. If you are nervous about doing it in public, try going on Tuesday in the morning. That is usually the slowest time in a Nail Salon. Don't ask why, I just know that it is by having been told that by 4 different Salons that I have gone to over the years. Every CD should have pretty nails and toes!!:happy: :happy:

Sissy

More Girl than man

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Joy, they're just doing my natural nails.

Some searching probably can turn up some large-size nails. There's Talon Nails, (http://www.talon-sd.com/index.html) but as the name implies, their nails are quite long and not really practical -- although perhaps the nail salon could trim them down. But probably you just need to find a brand that offers sizes up to 00 and perhaps offers a flatter nail. They're available in press-on nails, so I assume they're probably available for salon nails too.

JoAnnDallas
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I have been going to my nail salon for over a year now. I usually get a pedicure/ toe nail polish/ maincue/ fill (acrlyic nails)/ and eyebrows waxed. I have never had any negitive reactions from the staff or other customers. I went this past Saturday morning as usual. As I was getting into the pedicure chair, another customer was sitting next to me and saw my painted toes. She looked at them and said "Oh, you get your toes painted". I replied "Yes, I normally get a Red color but this last time I tried Purple, but going back to Red this time". Nothing more was said until Tina started painting my toes and this customer then said to me "That is a lovely shade of Red". I thanked her and that was it.
I have had acrylic nails for over a year and only got one negitive reaction about them and that was from a women's husband. She saw my nails and commented that "Some men know how to keep their nails in shape". I think she ment her husband to hear that as he looked and then gave me a real dirty look. LOL

Karen Francis
02-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the story. I have been going to a nail salon for about 3 months now, 1st couple of times in feminized drab. The owner of the shop was very nice and explained the whole process to me, she has had numerous tg customers. The last time I went in as Karen, the one other customer in the shop was mildly curious but didn't say anything. It is one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had, I am hooked, I'll be going in the next day or two. Pedicure and maybe the whole acrylic nail thing.....

marie354
02-05-2007, 10:11 PM
What a great story. I just love reading about the various adventures here.
I hope to experience that too one day as well. Sounds like a lot of fun.
:hugs:

GinaVegas
02-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Good for you Marlena!