PDA

View Full Version : My First In Public Appearance

Kate_Uhler
02-01-2005, 06:43 AM
A bit in shock.... I just got back home.. and that sure was fun! exciting! scary! and fundimentally fempowering!

I got all dressed up tonight and did my makeup which has become my sundown ritural for past week or so... Now normally I would just stay home and maybe take some pictures... Earlier in the evening A GG had invited the drab non-kate for dinner and as I was leaving she had given me a black knit skirt and top. She said, " I think you'll look great in this." So of course when I got home tonight.. I had to try them on.... and Well it LOOKED so Damn good, and my makeup seemed to go well tonight that I thought Hmmm.. I really should be outside with this.. Its a waste to be this 'ready' and stay home.. I should at least take the elavator down to the garage and drive around a little. ( I had heard this is one of the baby steps others here have taken.. ) I was surprise at how quickly the whole decision developed and I had acted on it. I think I knew I had to act quickly otherwise I'd on the inside of the front door... petrified with my own willing/unwillingness to be 'out'. So I just did it.... not too much thinking...

And it just seemed like I had to keep challenging myself once I did something new. First it was drive around in the car.... then it was stop, get out and get gas ( as I''ve heard others have done on 'firsts' ) It really is a good way to break the ice of being in public.... But, then I decided I really would like to to go into the grocery store and buy a few things. I really wanted to see if the check out person would look at the receipt and say, "Thanks Ms Uhler", instead of the usual Mr... He didn't, :( which was a disappointment but I'm glad I pushed it.., grateful I didn't just pay cash so the question wouldn't have even been asked.. I'm glad I found the courage to go out an be Kate.

You see another GG has asked if she can take me out to dinner later this week for my Birthday and wants me to go as Kate, and I willingly agreed. I thought hmm i'll remember this birtday... for sure.. I guess I figured going out tonight will make that next step on Thurs., of being out for a long time at a resturant and amoung other people not so much of a stretch...

I'm almost certain I would NOT be doing any of this, had I not found this great tribe of women here. You girls are the BEST...

thanks for showing me its all possible..

kisses of appreciation..

kate.

ps.. heres the picture of the outfit prior to leaving..

mand
02-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Kate I can promise you that now you've had a taste of going public, it's only the begining.
I remember my first time out in public it was the most terrifying and the most exhilerating experence at the same time. Soon you'll be wondering why you didn't do it years ago.
The only advice I can give you is be carefull to take it gentle at first, take it step by step, but most of all enjoy it.
Well done Kate.

love mand xxx

MistyCD
02-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi, I hope you really enjoyed your first step out....and welcome to the club

Luv Misty

Vickie-CD
02-01-2005, 08:18 AM
You should be very proud of yourself, such a big step. We are poud and happy for you. I can only say from my own experiances, after you have done it once, it is addictive. So nice to be able to go out as you feel you were meant to be.
Best Wishes,
Vickie

LindaTS
02-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Way to go Kate. It only gets better as time goes by.

Tracie Lynn
02-01-2005, 08:38 AM
ALRIGHT KATE, way to go you look great keep up the good work girl friend.

Sharon
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Way to go Kate! It sounds wonderful!
And let me wish you an early happy birthday!

Sharon

Julie
02-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Congratulations Kate, I'm very happy for you in what you've done in your short time here. Mand has said all what I was thinking so well done on your achievment.

JJ

Tristen Cox
02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
You see Kate, all is possible. Way to go girl! :) *big hugs*

Love
Tristen

Starluscious
02-01-2005, 03:03 PM
woot woot (all in fun)
what a pretty outfit
love the dress design
so cute and pretty
thanks for sharing
be well my angelette friends
muahhhhhhhh

love
Starluscious

Helana
02-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Well done Kate, that is a huge step. Just keep your public outings safe in the meantime, eventually you will probably encounter an unpleasant situation but if you have already built up your confidence then you can just brush those off instantly. You are lucky to have gg girls who will go out with you in public so enjoy! :)

ChristineRenee
02-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Congrats Kate...well done. Now that you have that first experience behind you it should get just that much easier from now on. Hope you have a great birthday and time out with your GG friend. We're all so proud of you girlfriend!;)

Big Hugs and Kisses,
Christine

Ava Mouse
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Congratulations!

Now, stay safe, and find some friendly group to meet up with. It's sooo much more comfortable to go out with friends, even if they are in drab. Tri-Ess is good, too.

Ya know, we need some sort of CD Medal for the bravery it takes to do this... ;-)

sherri
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
I am way impressed that you went in a supermarket! And by the way, great outfit.

Holly
02-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Kate, See what you've started? First a short drive, stopping for gas, shopping in the grocery store. Next an evening at a restruant. Soon you won't be able to stop. You rock, girl!

AmberDay
02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
I agree it is addicting, I went out the first time last week to the ATM, gas station, and to a movie drop box, but now I want more. All my fears about what others would think about me is starting to evaporate, which scares the holy hell out of me to be honest. I never thought I would journey this far just to realize how much I have left to go. I am so close to going into stores and actually buying things. I'll have to do a lot of thinking and planning, especially about my voice. My voice is so deep that I can't even sound girly without sounding really fake. I want to welcome you to the club Kate, and take it one step at a time, like I am doing.

Amber

Kate_Uhler
02-02-2005, 08:59 AM
thanks girls.. !

you really do continually inspire me to move forward with this... and I will take your advice, cause its worked so well this far..

1. go gently, sometimes I forget where the breaks are... thanks for reminding me I don't have to make up for 30 years of lost dressing.

2. find a group to hang out with... I'm researching that... Its like I want what I get here in this forum but in person now. I've seen pictures of group activities and outings.. like one of my first forum threads I read of AllisonUK's pub crawl... and the pictures, that really gave me a yearning to be with other girls.. Thanks Allison!.. The image of you sitting on the floor smoking a ciggy and talking with the girls is fondly and permanently etched in my psyche..

3. hmmm don't have a three... but doesn't it seems three is always a good number for a list..

Not to hijack my own thread but to follow up on CDinDaytons comment about the voice. It is the one thing I feel most self conscious about right now? Are there any 'quick' tips any one has to help put a sweet voice with a face????

thanks again for everyone's support.....

special kate kisses...

Georgette
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
The next thing you will be doing is going shopping and not caring who reads you or what they have to say to you. I know I was read yesterday at the wireless store, but he protected me from any more ridicule from a BUTTHEAD Employee. I just about had a piece of him but it was his problem not mine I was OK with it. :rolleyes: Now you are hooked and there is no turning back, GO GIRL :)

racheal
02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Go Kate Girl! Maybe some day I'll join that rank. I guess once you get out the door, there's no turning back. :)

paulaN
02-02-2005, 10:03 AM
good job kate so glad you had a good time on your frist outing. It does get easyer but never gets borring. happy birthday and have a good time with your gg friend you are very lucky to have a friend like her to take you out. that will make things so much easyer for you on thurs.

windycissy
02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Bravo! Your success was no doubt due in part to the fact that you made all the right fashion decisions - black has a way of slimming your whole body, and your hemline is conservative so as not to attract attention. Love the tights with verticle stripes - they makey your legs look long and lean, what a great idea. Wecome to the outside world! Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Lauren Richards
02-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Kate,
Great outfit, and a great story. Amazing how those small steps lead out the door, and into another world. Congratulations on believing in yourself. I suspect you will be doing much more exploring as your level of comfort continues to grow. I hope you have a wonderful time on your birthday.

Lauren

Chrissycd
02-02-2005, 09:37 PM
going out en femme may be that we may find suitors, so to speak. By finally coming out into the world and being social in public with friends, yes, we take risks, but we also may find very nice rewards. There are all kinds of possibilities awaiting us.
;)

Sweet Susan
02-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Wow, Kate, you're just blossoming into this throroughly modern millie! So cool!