PDA

View Full Version : I'm still amazed...

Cristi
02-08-2007, 11:25 PM
...that I can manage to go out in public at all without everybody I pass pointing at me or worse.

I've only been out a few times now, and I think it is getting easier each time. I still don't like going out where there is any chance at all of being seen by somebody I know, so my opportunities are few and far between. This week, I ended up in Worcester, Mass for business and had nothing to do in the evening. I had brought a selection of clothes, plus stopped at a Target store for a woman's Winter coat, something I've wanted for a long time. I found a nice dark tan trenchcoat for $40. Now I don't have to cover up with a bulky parka when going out en femme in the Winter!

It took me quite a while to get ready, since I hadn't had a chance to pluck, trim and otherwise do any maintenance work for a while. I started with a close shave, them plucked my eyebrows probably more than I ever have in the past, but I think it really helped lighten up my eyes.

I spent a long time on my makeup while my hair dried, then spent even longer with a curling iron curling my long hair (tip: DON'T pick up a curling iron from the 'hot' end by mistake!! I still have a swollen thumb from that one). I still don't have my technique down, but I think I'm getting better results with it every time.

Finally, I was ready to dress. I decided to wear a navy blue turtleneck over a blue floral print skirt and black tights. I finished it off with a pendant necklace, matching dangling earings and black pumps. I put on my new coat, grabbed my purse and was ready to hit the road.

The first hurdle was getting out to the car. My hotel room was quite a ways away from the hotel exit, so I had to get up my nerve and just step outside my door and walk down the hallways like I belonged there. For some reason, I was more nervous about this than I was about all the people I was around all evening.

Once in the car, I decided to just do some simple shopping... nothing that required me to really interract with anybody, since my voice still needs lots of work. My first stop was at a large grocery store. I parked at the far end of the parking lot and walked in. It was COLD outside! My legs were already starting to sting a bit from the cold wind by the time I got to the door. It got even colder as I got closer to the store where something was causing a wind tunnel effect that plastered my skirt against one side of my legs and pushed it out to the other side like a flag in the wind as I walked.

When I got inside, I grabbed a basket and shopped. I still can't get over the fact that I can do this and NOBODY gives me a 2nd look! I kept an eye on everybody I passed and never got a single look that was anything more than they would have given a GG in the same situation. I ended up getting some microfibre tights, some things for a quick breakfast the next morning, and some bottled water before heading to the checkout. I did chicken out a bit at the checkout and went through the self-checkout lane.

The only other place of note I went was a large book store (B&N). The aisle I was browsing in there was pretty crowded. As I and other shoppers browsed the shelves, we passed in front of each other several times but nobody noticed anything out of the ordinary. I found the book I was looking for and brought it to a small group of chairs to thumb through before making the final decision to buy it. The four padded easy-chairs were close together and facing each other in a circle. When I got there, one was occupied by a middle aged woman. I sat down beside her, crossed my legs and began to browse my book.

A minute later, a second woman came along and sat in the chair on my other side. She was a younger woman wearing a great outfit, a very short skirt, patterned tights and high-heeled boots. She crossed her legs as well, so our feet were almost touching. I noticed that the woman to my right had kicked off her shoes to be more comfortable, showing her bare pantyhose covered feet. I slipped off the shoe of my foot that was on the ground. It DID feel nice to let my feet relax a bit :)

While reading I had put my purse on the seat beside me, and my gloves on top of it. After several mintues I got up to leave. After taking a few steps I realized that one of the gloves had fallen onto the floor when I stood. I turned back to get it just as the woman who had been sitting beside me said "Ma'm, I think you dropped something". I smiled at her in thanks, picked up the glove and walked away. I guess in a way that was the high-point of the evening. She had sat beside me for several minutes, looked directly at me, and STILL called me "Ma'm". :happy:

I went to several more stores to 'browse' before heading back to the hotel, showering, changing into a nightgown and crawling into bed.

What it all comes down to is this... I guess after 35+ years of convincing myself that I could not pass, so I never even tried, I'm still having a hard time facing the fact that in the right circumstances I may be able to go out in public without much worry.

I guess I'm at kind of a plateau again. I've had outings like this a few times now since Halloween with no negative reactions. But I've been playing it safe. I've planned my trips so I haven't had to interact with anybody. I hope that after a few more trips like this to get my confidence up I'll move on to the next stage, perhaps clothes shopping where I can try things on (which I've done on halloween, but not otherwise), or any situation where I have to talk to people.

So maybe what I'm trying to get myself to believe is that yes, a 6'1" 220lb guy CAN go out in a dress and the world doesn't end.

susie evans
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
go for it girl it gets easer every time out and prety soon is just part of life i think we worry more about our selfs that any one else :heehee:

susie

SandyR
02-09-2007, 12:14 AM
You go GIRL! I love it, its so much fun. Love reading your post, but at the end when you gave your height, I thought "go girl" I am 6' 2" and love to go out, it so fun. I think its all about how you feel, confidence, attitude. goes a long way......

Kisses....

SandyR

Joy Carter
02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Proly lookin at yer boobs! :eek:

Billijo49504
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm glad everything went well for you. Be careful ,but have fun...BJ

Alice Torn
02-09-2007, 03:51 AM
These days, like any time, you do have to play everything safe. At six foot six, I have only gone out on four times, in a year and a half. I am too tall, and broad shouldered, to go out, without recieving a lot of attention, but, I have seen some very tall women. I found myself watching them, more than I normally would watch.

Michelia
02-09-2007, 07:29 AM
It is very inspiring too. I think people in Vermont are pretty cool though. I do not know if I could do it where I live. But I will keep on dreaming.

Keep those great posts coming. Maybe we will all dare one day and then we won't be so scared.

Michelia

Marcie Sexton
02-09-2007, 07:39 AM
You go...

...and Lucille, you fear being noticed because you are tall........wellllllllllllllllllllllllll
I too am tall, 6'7" and during Christmas past, my wife and I went out to do some shopping...sure I got a couple second glances, but nothing lasting...

My wife was rather pleased with me, her only tip was "RELAX". So get up, get dressed and go out...enjoy the world...I for one enjoyed the world enfemme...we have plannned to go to the Southern Comfort convention this summer and plan on a weekend at a local ski resort.

In a word, get going, put that confidence to work...:2c:

Cristi
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
These days, like any time, you do have to play everything safe. At six foot six, I have only gone out on four times, in a year and a half. I am too tall, and broad shouldered, to go out, without recieving a lot of attention, but, I have seen some very tall women. I found myself watching them, more than I normally would watch.

Whenever I wonder if I can really ''pass' at 6'1" I remind myself that I know at least 3 women that are that tall or eve taller (One may even be 6'6", she is TALL!)... and nobody thinks them any less female because of their height. So I tell myself that height, while it may make things a bit more difficult, will NOT by itself keep me from passing. More and more I think that 90% of it is attitude. You could LOOK like a truck driver, but if you act feminine and expect people to treat you like a lady, most people will!

Cristi
02-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm glad everything went well for you. Be careful ,but have fun...BJ

One benefit about being more confident in going out is that I can now go out in DAYLIGHT... much less dangerous. I look back at some of the things I did when I was just starting out (walking along dark streets in questionable neighborhoods at 3:00 AM in a mini-skirt and fishnet tights!) and shudder at the realization of how much of a risk I was taking... :(