PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Wig Experts!

Rachel Ann
02-03-2005, 04:34 AM
I found a picture of a woman with the *exact* hair style that I want :)

(see also http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73872&postcount=62)

However, I am having no luck finding a wig that looks enough like that. :(

My question is: If I were to buy a human hair wig in the right length and color (probably straight hair), and take it (with the picture) to a salon for styling, how likely would that be to work out?

Thank you.

Love

Helana
02-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Hi Rachel

The wig in the picture looks pretty straightforward, I have a couple of synthetics at home very similar. I am surprised that you cannot find one like that. It's really just about styling the wig to get it to look like the picture.

As for natural hair - I have one myself and for the first few months it was great but then it started to dry out and there were stray ends everywhere. Even though I soak it in conditioner, it still looks tired and worn out. So unless you can look after the wig daily then I would recommend staying with the synthetics.

Have you ever asked anyone to style your wigs for you before?

Rachel Ann
02-03-2005, 05:16 AM
Dear Helana

THANK YOU for your reply!

The wig in the picture looks pretty straightforward.
Actually the picture isn't a wig, it's her real hair. But, the point is the same. I thought it was straightforward too until I sarted looking around on the web.

I have a couple of synthetics at home very similar ... It's really just about styling the wig to get it to look like the picture. ... As for natural hair ... So unless you can look after the wig daily then I would recommend staying with the synthetics.
I was just assuming that stylists would only work on human hair. If that's not so, I would certainly prefer to stay with synthetics!

Have you ever asked anyone to style your wigs for you before?
I'm still rather new to this and haven't even bought a wig yet (still borrowing from friends).

I take it from your reply that my idea is not ridiculous. :) So thanks, hon, I'll keep you posted on my quest!

Love

Vickie-CD
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Rachel, it is "very" likely. My late mother retired from a styleing salon, doing wigs was very commonplace at the salon. Before you buy, call a few of the local salons and explain to them what you have in mind, They will be honest with you(reputation is everything in this business) and tell you what they can do. It is also possible they can get you a human hair at a better price through one of there beauty suppliers. I hope this helps a little.
Love,
Vickie

Vickie-CD
02-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Dear Helana

THANK YOU for your reply!

Actually the picture isn't a wig, it's her real hair. But, the point is the same. I thought it was straightforward too until I sarted looking around on the web.

I was just assuming that stylists would only work on human hair. If that's not so, I would certainly prefer to stay with synthetics!

I'm still rather new to this and haven't even bought a wig yet (still borrowing from friends).

I take it from your reply that my idea is not ridiculous. :) So thanks, hon, I'll keep you posted on my quest!

Love
Rachel, Stylists can work on synthetic wigs,some can be steamed and re-styled and some can be colored. A lot depends on the synthetic material used to make the wig (the word synthetic covers a broad range). But, they are more limited on most synthetics than they are on human hair. If the information did not come with your wig, write or e-mail the manufacturer to find out exactly what synthetic materials were used to make the wig. From this information, the stylist can tell you what can be done and what cannot be done.
Love,
Vickie

DanaJ
02-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Rachel Ann, when I go for my makeovers, my GG friend usually uses a natural hair wig, and she restyles it almost every time. She uses a curling iron, sometimes recuts it, teases it, etc. I think that is your best bet, but you should do what Vickie suggests, and contact a few hair stylists to see if they can help. Some are much better than others at doing wigs.

As far as my experience goes (and it may not be as good as Vickie's), I have never seen a synthetic wig that can be restyled. I mean, you may be able to sligthly alter them, but on every syn wig I have, the labels clearly state that nothing hot should come near the material of the wig. We tried on a few on a test area, and the wig hair melted immediately on contact with a curling iron....

DanaJ

sherri
02-03-2005, 08:38 AM
I stumbled upon a site once (I thought I bookmarked it but didn't and now I can't find it again) of a TG who is in the wig business and does amazing things with wig styles. She is adamant about the longterm superiority of synthetic wigs over human hair, due largely to the latter's tendency to deteriorate.

Anyway, her restyles rely on pinning, backcombing, synthetic hair spray, etc, most of which aren't applicable to the look you're seeking. My experience is that even good quality wigs need some work, mainly with scissors and most often on the bangs (to fit your face). My advice is to find a wig that has the basic style you want and enough length/volume to allow you or a stylist to trim, thin, etc to suit you.

And yes, hair stylists can and do work on wigs. For the best results, I would think you would need at least one in-person fitting.

Amelie
02-03-2005, 08:52 AM
I have had luck in cutting Syn-wigs, though I have never styled one.
The store where I buy my wigs also do styling for the wigs in their shop. I see women having their wigs styled while I was there. In another wig store near me, they have this guy, who's job is to style wigs. He makes some good desings, I don't know how he does it. I also saw in the docu-movie "Wigstock" where they style wigs. A queen I knew in NYC does wig styling. Lady Shannon, she used to style wigs for Lee Brewster. Ther are people out there that can style wigs, you have to seek them out.
Again, I don't know if syn-wigs can be styled.

Wenda
02-04-2005, 01:22 AM
We just had a movie filmed in town, and a friend's daughter, who specializes in styling wigs, got a very nice contract, because this director uses a lot of wigs. They are out there. wenda.

Vickie-CD
02-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Rachel Ann, when I go for my makeovers, my GG friend usually uses a natural hair wig, and she restyles it almost every time. She uses a curling iron, sometimes recuts it, teases it, etc. I think that is your best bet, but you should do what Vickie suggests, and contact a few hair stylists to see if they can help. Some are much better than others at doing wigs.

As far as my experience goes (and it may not be as good as Vickie's), I have never seen a synthetic wig that can be restyled. I mean, you may be able to sligthly alter them, but on every syn wig I have, the labels clearly state that nothing hot should come near the material of the wig. We tried on a few on a test area, and the wig hair melted immediately on contact with a curling iron....

DanaJ
Dana, believe me, I'm no expert at anything. What I know about wigs came from hanging around the salon my mother worked at and becoming friends with some of the stylest. My knowledge is limited at best. Synthetic just means man-made materials, this differs from wig manufacturers. That is why it's important for the stylest to know what materials were used. Sorry to hear about your wig melting.
Love,
Vickie

Helana
02-07-2005, 04:47 AM
You can restyle sythetic wigs by inserting rollers when the wig is wet. Alternatively you can use a hand warm (not hot) curling iron. The curls will be loose and relaxed but very natural looking.