PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "Doing" your fingernails

Phyliss
02-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Last evening (Monday, Feb 12) I realized it was about time I did some "repair" work to my fingernails. They've been "catching the devil" lately with work and the cold weather. The clear polish I use was begining to get a bit cracked and what not. Generally looking, not pretty. After I removed all the old stuff, cleaned up the cuticles, buffed the rough edges, and made sure they were ready for a new coat, my wife called me for supper. Not having enough time to apply a fresh coat and allow it to dry, I answered her call and had supper with "unpainted nails" Doesn't sound too horrible, right? Well, I've been having them "done" for so long now that I couldn't help looking at them through the meal. So dull and "flat" looking. Really looked bad, as far as I was concerned.

I know others, who keep their nails nice and polished can relate to this, but I found it rather interesting to note. Just another one of "those little things" that we do everyday without thinking about it only to discover the "lack of it" causes an appreciation of actually doing it.
Anyhow, directly after the meal and doing the dishes, I made sure to dry my hands well and recheck my fingers, and then apply my polish. Somehow it all felt so right when I was done.

Sally24
02-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I know how you feel. I have just recently started growing my nails out a little. I usually let them get fairly long for an "outing" and then trim them back. I've found that after having them long and tapered for over a month, that I don't like them at all when I get them cut short! I really like the look when I've got them nicely shaped and clear polish on them. I just notice them off and on while I'm working and it makes me feel good. I think I'm going to start using some of the hardeners on the market and trying to maintain them at a mid length all the time.

Sally

ChristinefromOz
02-13-2007, 07:40 AM
I know how you feel. I have just recently started growing my nails out a little. I usually let them get fairly long for an "outing" and then trim them back. I've found that after having them long and tapered for over a month, that I don't like them at all when I get them cut short! I really like the look when I've got them nicely shaped and clear polish on them. I just notice them off and on while I'm working and it makes me feel good. I think I'm going to start using some of the hardeners on the market and trying to maintain them at a mid length all the time.

Sally

I cannot never get all ten nails to stay long at the same time. Always one or two break. I usually keep them mid-length, then let them grow a week or so before an outing, like you do. I must try a hardener, too.

marie354
02-13-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm just putting on a clear base coat now. All of our major shopping is done and no depression group meeting next monday... I got 2 weeks to dress up 24/7!

Keely
02-13-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm the same way with my toes. They too are in need of a redo.

PaulaJaneThomas
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Some of my hobbies are incompatible with long finger nails so I very rarely paint them these days and, being short, they need little maintenance. A few years ago I did paint them blue for a week to see what reaction I got having painted nails in Brock mode. The problem was that on-one noticed. By the Friday night I was so pissed off with the lack of response I went round the pub asking everyone (mostly males) if they liked the colour :D

Madeleine
02-13-2007, 10:23 AM
In the past I have used Sally Hansen nail hardener, but with a gloss finish. It really did look too glossy for a male (some said it made me walk strangely! LOL).

However, this week I bought on the Infernalnet a bottle of OPI Nail Envy Matte finish nail strengthener - its so good my wife asked to use it.

Once properly dried after two coats they buff up to a medium shine so that they are still presentable in guy mode. I'll continue to top up every other day as recommended.

Some of you may think it worthwhile to try.

Tootle pip (as they say over here) - love Maddie xsxs

Deanna2
02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I enjoy sitting down with a cup of coffee and doing my nails. It might take half an hour or more - with emory board and polish, etc - but worth every minute of it.

SANDRA MICHELLE
02-13-2007, 11:57 AM
I envy all you girls that have nice nails, I can't stop biting my nails and as such the only time I have nice looking nails is when I put on fake nails to go out. My toe nails are always nicely done, probably because I am not limber enough to bite them off. If I got my nails professionally done at male nail length do you think that they would pass as my own so I could possibly start to grow my nails without biting them off?

sissystephanie
02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Last evening (Monday, Feb 12) I realized it was about time I did some "repair" work to my fingernails. They've been "catching the devil" lately with work and the cold weather. The clear polish I use was begining to get a bit cracked and what not. Generally looking, not pretty. After I removed all the old stuff, cleaned up the cuticles, buffed the rough edges, and made sure they were ready for a new coat, my wife called me for supper. Not having enough time to apply a fresh coat and allow it to dry, I answered her call and had supper with "unpainted nails" Doesn't sound too horrible, right? Well, I've been having them "done" for so long now that I couldn't help looking at them through the meal. So dull and "flat" looking. Really looked bad, as far as I was concerned.

I can certainly relate to that! I had to have an Arteriogram done a few weeks ago, and had to remove all polish (fingers and toes) beforehand. Actually, my nail tech did it for me, for free!!:happy: Couldn't wait to go back and have them repolished. I've been getting both a manicure and pedicure for several years now, and the really do look "flat" without the pretty polish. At least to me!:heehee:

Sissy

More Girl than man

sandyohio
02-13-2007, 06:01 PM
wow last saturday night my wife glued on my nails for the 1st time out sunday morning was a different story getting them off , this is one post i need to read over again and again thanks girls

Glenda58
02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Don't polish everyday but I have been buffing my nails. Getting the ridges out making them smooth. After that buffing them to a shine. Had someone ask if I polish my nails told them no just buffed them she said they look good for a man. Also found that when putting on polish it looks better.

Julogden
02-13-2007, 11:20 PM
I'll second Madeleine's vote for OPI Matte Nail Envy, I wear it in drab mode regularly. It seems to make my wimpy nails a bit less prone to breaking as well as making them grow a bit faster.

Carol:hugs:

Bobbi Lynn
02-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I have recently been able to do my nails, since retirement! Woo-Hoo!! My wife and I went and had manicures and pedicures done together. Had my toes done bright red (brightest I could find in the shop). Just did clear on my fingers. I have re-done my fingers since then used Sally Hanson clear Hard as Nails. At least I'm not doing a lot of rough mechanical work now. I am going to get a slightly different shade of red for my toes. I will also try to learn more about the process and start and do my wifes nails too. She wants to find a color that she got before when her and her mother got their's done.

sissystephanie
02-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Today was my regular day to get my nails done. Since I just purchased a very nice leather skirt, I decided to wear it to the Salon.:heehee: I always have my fingers done in pink and my toes in red (bright). Went a little further this time! My fingers are OPI Pinko DeGallo and my toes are OPI Big Apple Red. But the best thing is the nail tech painted, with my permission, 2 white sparkling hearts on each big toe.:love: I only wish the weather was warmer so I could wear open toe sandals out to the Mall.:heehee:

Sissy

More Girl than man

Tina B.
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I envy all you girls that have nice nails, I can't stop biting my nails and as such the only time I have nice looking nails is when I put on fake nails to go out. My toe nails are always nicely done, probably because I am not limber enough to bite them off. If I got my nails professionally done at male nail length do you think that they would pass as my own so I could possibly start to grow my nails without biting them off?

Sandra, I too am a nail biter, but if you find the stuff at the drugstore, that you use on kids to stop them from biting there nails, it works, it taste bad when you get it in your mouth, enough to remind you of what you are doing, since most of that bite there nails to it with out thinking, that reminder helps a bunch, as I recall it was made by Sally Hansons, but there is more than 1 brand of it out there. I worked in a very macho type work, and my co-workers where more than willing when they thought I nails got to long, and that a guys nails where suppose to be square on the ends not rounded. But when asked if I was using polish on my nails, they bought the story that I was using something to stop the biting, and it looked great, shiny like a clear polish. And the bonus was it worked as a hardner, and stooped them from breaking all the time.

JoAnnDallas
02-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I have always had bad nails. I could not grow them out very far or they would either split down a ridge, brake, chip, or peel. Also if I did manage to get them long,I could bend them. So one day my sister and I were at the nail salon and she asked Tina if there was anything she could do about my nails. Next thing I knew I was sitting there with ten very long glued on nails, which she cut shorter and then applied acrylic on them. When she was done, not only did they look fantastic, but hard as nails. LOL That was almost two years ago. I do from time to time get some nice comments about how nice my nails look. I have only had one OMG :eek: and that was from a grandneice and even she now doesn't even care. LOL

marie354
02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I have found that just by keeping them filed nicely and polished that I am very careful with them.

Lou Lou
02-14-2007, 02:12 PM
My finger nails are so thin I can't wear them long. Maybe you could give me a hint on what you use.

onebadgirl_4u2
02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
MY GF does my pedicures and manicures.I love having them all painted so nicely and dressed up with rings and toerings..

marie354
02-17-2007, 10:10 PM
My finger nails are so thin I can't wear them long. Maybe you could give me a hint on what you use.

I've always found it to be strange that women have such fragile fingernails while mens are tough as nails. For the most part anyway, I'm sure that there are exceptions as with anything.

My first wife had very fragile nails and with her when she started painting them on a regular basis, didn't break as easily.

This makes sense to me. When it's done properly...

1. Base coat. Usually clear.
2. At least 2 coats of your color, sometimes 3 if it's a light color.
3. Top coat. Always clear.

That's at least 4 coats of varnish. This takes quite a long time to do it because you have to have ample time for each coat to dry, but the end results are fantastic.
It's equally as hard to remove all of it when it gets time to as well.

Jennifer4cd
02-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I Use OPI Nail Envy abd have for almost 3 years.

My nails are harder and really look good. I love them
Jenn

sissystephanie
02-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I've always found it to be strange that women have such fragile fingernails while mens are tough as nails. For the most part anyway, I'm sure that there are exceptions as with anything.

My first wife had very fragile nails and with her when she started painting them on a regular basis, didn't break as easily.

This makes sense to me. When it's done properly...

1. Base coat. Usually clear.
2. At least 2 coats of your color, sometimes 3 if it's a light color.
3. Top coat. Always clear.

That's at least 4 coats of varnish. This takes quite a long time to do it because you have to have ample time for each coat to dry, but the end results are fantastic.
It's equally as hard to remove all of it when it gets time to as well.

All the things Marie mentioned are important, but there is also an item to add to your diet. If you aren't already doing it, start eating more gelatin of any kind. That is a very good natural nail hardner, and is also good for you.

In addition, go to a nail salon and ask them to recommend a nail hardner you can buy. You could go to a Walgreens, CVS, or Eckards and ask a clerk, but they may not know what you talking about. Sally Hansen does make a Nail Hardener that you paint on just like polish. It does work!!

Sissy

More Girl than man

Dragster
02-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I play a guitar, and I can't do that without very short nails on my left hand. Do you think I should give up the guitar? Can't even paint them without my wife noticing, and she would NOT be impressed with that!!!

Tony

susiepaul
02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
hi i love long nails but living on a sail boat does sort of kill them but i still go and have them extended now and then the girl in the salon is use to me now going in and having my nails done i was the first man to have there nails done but she told me last time that some oe else had been in to have his done so maybe its catching on as i have not seen an other man here either fully crossdressing or like me just wearing a skirt most of the time.

Jenny Wilson
02-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't get to do my nails very often, but I love the process of prepping them with an emery board and then applying a couple of coats of polish. I also love the way they feel when they are polished. I can actually feel the polish on them.

Daphne Renee
02-19-2007, 02:57 PM
I like the feel of polish but its extremely rare that I do polish them.
I will sometimes do my wifes nails or some of the younger girls around here.. I am by no means a professional but I enjoy doing it and I think I do a decent job.

JoAnnDallas
02-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I have long acrylic nails and always have my nail tech put clear polish on them. I have been thinking of finding a very pale Pink polish and having her use it. I love the feel and how my nails shine when the light hits the clear polish. Also almost no one notices that they are long, acrylic, and have clear polish on them. Once in a while, someone will notice that my nails are acrylic. The last time was a GG that looked at them then remarked to her husband that "Some men do keep thier nails looking good". I got a eye dagger look from her husband. LOL

linnea
02-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, I do this too, though I would like to keep them nicer all of the time (it would raise too many questions, I'm afraid).

Sally