PDA

View Full Version : An odd discovery

sonora
02-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi girls,

I was just going through a book my sister lent me on "How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby" as my wife and I are considering trying. Anyway, there was a section in the back in which the reader could write in responses to various questions. One of these questions was something to the effect of "Should parents be able to easily determine the sex of their child? Why or why not?" Well, my sister written "Yes" and commented "I feel like my dad wishes I had been a boy. Letting parents choose the gender of their children would avoid hurt feelings." Or something like that.

My sister was somewhat of a tomboy growing up, but has now appear to enjoy her roles as wife and mother, so this set me back on my heels a little. Apparently I'm not the only one in my family who's not completely comfortable genderally. Maybe when I was gone she was trying on my clothes! That would be an ironic twist.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much to read into this and would like to know what some of you girls think.

Kisses,
Sonora

DonnaT
02-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I don't think she wanted to be a boy. I think she believes your dad was disappointed that she wasn't born a boy, and this seems to have hurt her some.

She may want to openly talk to you about her feeling on this matter.

Vickie-CD
02-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I can only speak for myself, I have believed for years(pre-teens) that I should have been female. A feeling from deep inside, sort of like on the inside I am the correct gender, but the outside does not match the inside.
Love to All,
Vickie

Lily_gg
02-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Fathers (particularly from certain generations) often find it easier to be proud of their sons for their (typically male) achievements (e.g. good career etc) than of their daughters, due to their upbringing resulting in rather different views of what girls and boys should be doing with their lives. Maybe she felt he didn't appreciate achievements that were important to her, because they were 'male' achievements?

Jan W
02-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Dear Sonora,

Have to agree with our big sister (LOL) Donna 100% on this one. Don't think that she wished to be a boy but she was hurt that she felt that your dad would have preferred her to be a boy. (by the way we are making a mighty big assumption here, maybe dad loved her as a daughter but her tomboyness allowed them to do guy things together more so than with a girly girl)

As far as her trying on your clothes who would be ahead in that count honey? I know the answer in my household!

A very interesting point to ponder though (returning to your original theme) Being able to determine a baby's sex is to me a little like seeing a pregnant woman smoking a cigarette. She is casting her decisions and feelings on an unborn child without consideration for their future feelings. Pretty selfish I think.

Love Jan