PDA

View Full Version : How many are you repair/alter your own things?

Colleentg
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I learned at an early age how to sew, and use a sewing machine. It was a benefit whenever something tore or broke, I was able to fix it. I've replaced those plastic circle rings on bra straps, replaced out of shape or broken bra underwires, altered bras to fit smaller, replaced hook & eye clasps, and even altered some dresses to fit larger or smaller.

Also, has anyone had to repair something 'on the go'? (being out somewhere when something broke or ripped) It pays to carry small safety pins in your purse!

S. Lisa Smith
02-18-2007, 06:51 PM
God I wish I could. My wife helps when she can.

Karren H
02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I repair a few things and I do know how to sew and tear the sewing maching down and put it back together....

Karren

bredalee25
02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Funny you should ask this why just today my GF repaired a couple of my nighties for me. It's great having her in my life not only does she support my dressing but she can sew too. This is awesome to have your GF repair your girlie stuff for ya.

:love:
ttfn

rachel_jean
02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I repaired (somewhat) a broken heel on a pair of 5" pumps with a nail gun and dry wall screws about a year ago. They're wearable, but, I gotta be a bit careful and go 'easy' on them..

Rachel Jean

Jodi
02-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I am able to use a sewing machine and am adept at hand stitching. Just yesterday, I rehemmed a pair of pants where the original hem had come loose. I also found a seam had come loose in a black cotton sweater. Stitched it up in no time.

Jodi

Tedi
02-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I've had a sewing machine for 10 years or more, I've never tried sewing anything from a pattern, but I can patch, alter, take in, let out.. etc. A sewing machine is a very handy thing to have around!

DeeInGeorgia
02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I learned the basics of sewing at an early age also. After college, when I was doing a lot of square dancing while looking for a wife, I sewed a few shirts from patterns and modified a few pants to add fringe. Now I modify some of my dresses, skirts, etc. to get a better fit.

Dee

Lanore
02-18-2007, 09:04 PM
There's nothing like buying something that doesn't fit and making the adjustments. Some things are just a little bigger and have to be taken down a bit. I have a way of making them fit.

Lanore

Cristi
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I really wish I had taken some kind of sewing class when younger. I can't sew to save my life. :( Luckily, my wife can and is willing to make any reapairs I need.

The ONE and only time I ever even attempted to sew was when I first started being interested in CDing, even before I discovered how easy it was to access my sisters' old clothes in storage in the attic.

I had a pair of cutoff shorts that I cut open in the crotch, then crudely re-sewed into a short skirt. My first skirt! I even went outside and into the woods wearing it (at about 10 years old). It didn't last long, but shortly afterward I found a red kilt from my sister's old school uniform and the rest is history.

marie354
02-18-2007, 09:19 PM
I have used a sewing machine to do some simple stitching after servicing one. You know, tear it down, clean it and re-lube it, and try it to be sure it works better than it did before.
Other than that, I havn't a clue. My SO say's there's not much more to it and she'll show me how to do some simple repairs some time.

finacarina
02-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I prefer to send my things out to have them repaired or just toss them out and have an excuse to go buy something new.

francine349
02-18-2007, 09:36 PM
guess im fairly lucky i was taught to sew at an early age by my favourite aunt. and went on to work in the clothing industry so i am able to make all my own clothes and have access to a fabulous fabric store close to home

trannie T
02-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I can sew on buttons, after that I'm basically clueless. Any other repairs I use duct tape.

Marianna Julianna
02-19-2007, 03:58 AM
I can just about tack something back together again if I have to, never a very neat job though. I had a skirt that needed altering and my wife did that for me, bless her. She knows a lot about dress making, she made her first wedding dress (not what she wore when she married me) and from the pictures I saw that was lovely. She helped the daughter with her ball gown she did for her practical work at school, and that was, well wow, to amazking to be described really. A pity I'd never be able to get into it,mind neither can the daughter now. Anyway, I'd love to be able to dress make, not something that we can get into now with the boy around though, but I have hopes that when he's flown the nest I might be able to persuade the wife to at least help me do some simple things. Time will tell, I can see myself as a live dressmakers dummy (knowing my wife she'll be quite happy to stick pins in me too, accicentally of course) I think it would be special to wear something you made yourself, or was made specially for you. Ah well, I can dream.

Suzie S.
02-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Reattaching buttons or clasps is about the extent of it for me! :happy:

Alaceann
02-19-2007, 06:51 AM
The sewing machine is mine. I do all the sewing/ The only sewing she does is buttons. My mother taught me how to sew when I was young and she still makes her own blouses at 80.:love:

marie354
02-19-2007, 11:12 AM
I still want to learn to use a sewing machine.
I see nothing wrong with knowing how to sew. A seamstress or tailor is a well respected profession.
If I knew how, I would be able to alter almost anything to fight me perfectly.
I just need to get the machine, table, and all the accessories out for my SO so she can show me other things I need to know about it.
She says that it really takes years to be really good at it. I hope I can shorten that a bit... I've always been a fast learner, just show me once and I've usually got it.

linnea
02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I have repaired clothes many times. I can sew by hand, but I'm not much good on a sewing machine. I have altered a couple of skirts by taking them in at the waist, but my work on those was pretty utilitarian.

Kali
02-19-2007, 04:30 PM
No major surguries, but I usually have a small sewing kit available so I can perform minor repairs.

Angie G
02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I do some but my wife is the sawer in the family she can fix anything :hugs:
Angie

Dragster
02-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I started sewing 35 years ago after an argument with my wife about how easy it must be for her to make curtains! I've since made repaired and altered clothes for her and my kids, and more curtains! More recently, I've altered skirts (to make them tighter and shorter!) and made a skirt out of an old pair of trousers for myself, but I have to do this while my wife is out, because she's not the least supportive...yet. I'm and engineer, and treat sewing as engineering with cloth, but it means I can get the fit I want.

Tony

jo_ann
02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
i can hand sew really well. I can sorta use a sewing machine, but I get frustrated when the bobbin gets tangled up, or runs out of thread. What I really need is a cincher machine where the thread comes out of the bobbins on top.