PDA

View Full Version : Tyra Banks show

Taylor105
02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I wish I had known beforehand so I could have let you all know but Tyra was about transgenderism today. There were several FTM even one who is only 13 years old. The show was awesome. It totally helped educate one of my roommates who watched it with me. I hope you guys got to see it.

pocoyo
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh wow... were the FtM's cool? Were things explained/represented well?
Where there any FtM's on T or any post surgery FtMs?

Taylor105
02-20-2007, 07:50 PM
They were very cool. The little thirteen year old boy had a very supportive mom but his dad was still not coming to terms with it. There was a 16 year old guy who had just recently came out to his mom as being a boy and his mom was still saying how she thought it was a "phase". I was a bit bothered by that one too because he showed up on stage to represent FTM but he was wearing a skirt. I was like what? So that one was eh.. Then there was a guy who was on T and his voice had made dramatic changes. His dad was soooo supportive. That one was an amazing story. None of them had any surgery yet but the thirteen year old was on pills to stop puberty from hitting him. No boobs and periods. Lucky guy. I also wonder though if it is going to stunt him. I guess he passes completely. When he came out he and his mom moved to a new city and started him in school and noone knew. Of course now that he was on national television his whole school is going to know. I only hope they accept him. He was adorable. They had a therapist on there talking about how it isn't a choice we make. Like it's something that just IS. So overall I thought it was a good representation.

pocoyo
02-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Oh cool!
I like the sound of the guy on T with a supportive dad :happy:
Not too sure about the one in the skirt either though haha! Eurgh, don't you hate it when people say "it's a phase" lol! Well I guess if she was saying it in a kind/wondering way then fair enough.

Hey yeah, lucky 13 year old not having to go through female puberty...!! but I wonder if that's confusing... to have puberty artificially stopped!
Pretty cool that he knows so strongly at that age.... if he does that is...

Thanks for that report Taylor. I almost feel as if I watched it now haha!
:D :thumbsup:

CaptLex
02-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, I only caught the last part of the show when Tyra interviewed Lucas (from Transgeneration) and his dad - I never remember what time that show is on. I'm glad she asked intelligent questions and gave them enough time to answer them. Looks like the other dad will be getting advice from Lucas' cool dad, so that was encouraging. Maybe I can catch a rerun of the whole show soon (they rerun episodes all the time). Thanks for giving us the rundown, Taylor.