PDA

View Full Version : Razor burn?

boi_0h
02-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Okay, so I shave my face, but lately I've been getting these splotchy red spots all over my face, they look like eczema spots, but I think it's just razor burn, any suggestions to prevent this? /anyone know if its actually razor burn or just the effects of a bitter new england winter? >and yes i moisturize and use a clean razor and hot water and all that jazz<

Kieron Andrew
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
use a after shaving cooling gel after shaving instead of aftershave until your skin gets used to the shaving, moisturising before AND after helps too.....use a gel rather than a cream to shave instead of a dry shave

Kimberley
02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I put up with this for decades. I have very sensitive skin so the first thing I did was stop using shaving creams. I now use only a mild soap with an oil emolient in it. (Caress, Olay etc.) That cured most of the problem. The second thing was to use only warm water, not hot or cold. (Translation: shower shaving is out) Wash any soap residue afterwards and use a GOOD aftershave. Christian Dior make some excellent ones. Finally use a triple blade razor with an aloe strip (Mach 3 Turbo) and change the blades more often than necessary. I also soak the blade in alcohol after rinsing it out.

It works for me even though I wish I never had to do it again.

:hugs:
Kimberley

CaptLex
02-21-2007, 12:11 PM
I also use shaving gel (for sensitive skin) instead of shaving cream, and a razor with an aloe strip. Moisturizing is out for me 'cause I have super-duper oily skin and that just makes me break out, but I use aloe on the shaved area immediately after shaving - I don't even dry my face, just let the aloe mix in with the moisture there. So far I've been able to avoid razor burn and breakouts. You're right that your skin's reaction could also be from winter weather (windburn?) and/or indoor heating (I use aloe on the rest of my face for those too). In those cases, the skin is usually itchy - is yours itchy?

Robin Leigh
02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
It does sound like razor burn. Some people get good results from plain old rubbing alcohol before &/or after shaving.

Try using dilute Tea Tree oil before &/or after shaving to prevent those red blotches or to help existing razor rash to heal faster. I've been using it on my face & body for many years. It is soothing & antibacterial/anti-fungal. It's also invaluable for helping ingrown hairs or pimples to heal.

Robin

boi_0h
02-21-2007, 09:24 PM
...(windburn?) ..., the skin is usually itchy - is yours itchy?

Sometimes, it's itchy, although not usually...sometimes it isn't usually when i wash my face it burns. and yeah, windburn esp from walking across campus.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

RevMoonSerpent
02-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I had the same problem when I used a razor now, I don't bother with a razor or shaving cream. I use a three headed electric shaver and I haven't had to deal with it since.

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
No alcohol-based products! :eek: They're very bad for your skin.

If you're getting windburn, then yeah, you definitely need to moisturize more.

One thing to try is using hair conditioner as a shaving gel, preferably one with no or minimal fragrence (since fragrence can irritate the skin). Conditioner has moisturizer that helps soften the beard.

Also a good after-shaving balm with help. Aveda has a really good one. It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way and it will last for months. You might also want to try an aspirin-based skin relief treatment, (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC320&PAGETYPE=S) which can help with irritation and redness.

It's also possible you're getting in-grown hairs. A BHA solution (http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC202&PAGETYPE=S) will help, since it's gentle exfoliant. It won't work immediately, but over a week or two it should help. If you're using one of the 5-blade razors, you might try switching to a 3-blade razor. It won't shave quite a closely, but they're less prone to causing in-growns.

Also be sure to use gentle foamy facial cleanser mornings and evening, which will prevent in-growns from getting infected (which causes red bumps). A weekly skim care mask (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC275&PAGETYPE=S) is also a good idea.

Tea Tree oil will help existing infections as mentioned. As will benzoyl peroxide solutions (AKA zip treatments). If you've got really persistent infections, you can get some prescription treatments.

And last, but far from least, be sure to use sunscreen every day. Believe me in 10-20 years, you'll appreciate doing so. You can find lighter ones that are intended to be used on the face.

Dasein9
02-23-2007, 02:34 PM
I've found that aftershaves of all kinds cause me problems, so since the point of them is to close the pores back up, I've been placing a washcloth soaked with very cold water on my chin and neck for a few seconds right after shaving. That does the trick for me.

Before doing this, when I was still learning to shave, I did get some razor burn, and used a cocoa butter stick. It relieved the razor burn, but gave me a couple of stubborn pimples.

I also find a styptic pencil helpful for the occasional nick. For some reason, they're a little hard to find, but they're also very cheap and last a long time. Just wet the pencil and touch it to the nick. The alum closes up the cut and stops the bleeding. This is helpful when I'm in a hurry to get to work.

Abraxas
02-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I think most pet stores sell styptic pencils, because when you trim a dog/cat/bird's nails they can bleed to death if you nick it too close.
I've heard that they hurt like a b*tch, but I've never tried one. That true at all?

boi_0h
02-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I think most pet stores sell styptic pencils, because when you trim a dog/cat/bird's nails they can bleed to death if you nick it too close.
I've heard that they hurt like a b*tch, but I've never tried one. That true at all?

YEAHH they do, it's like pouring salt into a wound, but it works, another good styptic method is deodorant, honestly, it doesn't sting as much as a styptic pencil does, and you get the benefit of smelling good too ;)

Dasein9
02-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Hmm... I'll try the deodorant thing.

I don't think it hurts that badly. Just a bit of a sting, then it's over.

kimmigir1
02-24-2007, 01:22 PM

yeah they do hurt, well, they sting really bad think putting lemon juice(or the like) in a cut or something, its tolerable but it does sting

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Actually you should also be able to find styptic pencils at most drug stores. I prefer the kind that's sort of like a felt-tip pen. Hurts less and easier to clean afterwards.