PDA

View Full Version : Hot News/ Susan Stanton Update

Brianna Lovely
02-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Just heard on the local news. A City Manager in Largo, FL just announced that he is going to have SRS. He said his 16 yo. son dosn't know yet and he's not sure if his wife is fully aware. He said he's been dressing when out of town on business and has decided to transition.

marie354
02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Is there a link to that on the 'net?

Sharon
02-21-2007, 06:31 PM
So he made a public announcement before telling his family? What a loser.:Angry3:

Tracy_Victoria
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
So he made a public announcement before telling his family? What a loser.:Angry3:

so very true!

Another Me, Me, Me! fancy not even leting your own son know before telling the world!

tvdave
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
I covered the story as a news reporter. His son is 13, not 16 and, indeed was the last to know.

Steve was "outed" by someone close who "tipped off" a local newspaper (not mine). When confronted by a reporter, steve was completely honest.

His fondest memory, he said, was wearing his sister's shoes to go to the candy store.

Susan

Joy Carter
02-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I covered the story as a news reporter. His son is 13, not 16 and, indeed was the last to know.

Steve was "outed" by someone close who "tipped off" a local newspaper (not mine). When confronted by a reporter, steve was completely honest.

His fondest memory, he said, was wearing his sister's shoes to go to the candy store.

Susan

Sorry, but didn't they have anything else to put into the paper today ?:Angry3:

RobertaFermina
02-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Congratulations to her for being so Courageous !

I hope she spoke to her son before his school buddies got to him - poor child!

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Brianna Lovely
02-21-2007, 06:43 PM

Susan

Thank you for clarifying the story. I just heard a quick piece on Fox 13 News.
Here's a link to the story.
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/21/Northpinellas/Largo_official_prepar.shtml

Sharon
02-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Sorry, you don't say a damn thing to anybody until you tell your family first. This guy is an actual city manager? He sounds like a flippin' idiot.

Wenda
02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry, you don't say a damn thing to anybody until you tell your family first. This guy is an actual city manager? He sounds like a flippin' idiot.

I agree.:thumbsdn: Family first. ALWAYS.

Brianna Lovely
02-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Just read the article, and I think he/she is a brave person.

Sharon
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Just read the article, and I think he/she is a brave person.

So where does it say that her wife and son don't know? It only says that she was planning to break the news when her son was out of town. This is totally different than your first post.

Leslie Foxx
02-21-2007, 07:13 PM
The reader comments are the most telling part of the piece. Sin? Funny, that's not in any passage I've read.

Brianna Lovely
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
So where does it say that her wife and son don't know? It only says that she was planning to break the news when her son was out of town. This is totally different than your first post.

Sharon, my first post was based on a tele News broadcast, here's a link to that story.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2455739&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

tvdave
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I know Steve pretty well. I work with him almost every day.

He pulled the trigger too fast when confronted by reporter.

But, from the minute he admitted it, he spent hours arranging for his 1,200 employees to know so they could respond to media intelligently.

Yes, he should have told his family but he couldn't put off his admission. The paper that confronted him is a rag that loves to drag him thru the dirt. They would have done a story anyway and within an hour of his admission it was on their website.

"No comment" wouldn't have worked anyway. Believe me. It never does.

They had the goods before they confronted him. Otherwise he could have scooped them on a local tv station (we have four in Tampa area).

Brianna Lovely
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
The reader comments are the most telling part of the piece. Sin? Funny, that's not in any passage I've read.

Yes Leslie, the comments are rather interesting.

Sharon
02-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, he should have told his family but he couldn't put off his admission. The paper that confronted him is a rag that loves to drag him thru the dirt. They would have done a story anyway and within an hour of his admission it was on their website.

"No comment" wouldn't have worked anyway. Believe me. It never does.

They had the goods before they confronted him. Otherwise he could have scooped them on a local tv station (we have four in Tampa area).

He's the city manager, supposedly fairly intelligent with the best interest of his family first in his thoughts. He should have at least gotten hold of his son, and had him removed from school before setting up the news conference. Can you imagine what it would be like for the son to find out the news from schoolmates, rather than from a parent?

I go back to my original assertion -- he's a mindless, selfish jerk.

finacarina
02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
He's the city manager, supposedly fairly intelligent with the best interest of his family first in his thoughts. He should have at least gotten hold of his son, and had him removed from school before setting up the news conference. Can you imagine what it would be like for the son to find out the news from schoolmates, rather than from a parent?

You are 100% correct Sharon and no matter how you try to defend him tvdave, he sold out his family. Lets pray for his son and what he must be going through right now. Funny how this story angers me rather than makes me feel good that one of us in a high ranking position is coming out.

Karren H
02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
WOW!!!

Karren

susie evans
02-22-2007, 01:19 AM
that's intresting

susie

Mistybtm
02-22-2007, 02:04 AM
very brave of him/her please read the full artical i think you all will find it interesting.
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/21/Tampabay/Letters_regarding_Ste.shtml

Mistybtm.

Tasha Meredith
02-22-2007, 02:10 AM
I don't think we're getting the whole story. He announced it and magically, everyone but his family knows. Something isn't adding up.

Daintre
02-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Sorry, I don't understand, this is a person who will tell the world his intension's rather than tell his Family??

GOOD LUCK

Brianna Lovely
02-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Sorry, I don't understand, this is a person who will tell the world his intension's rather than tell his Family??

GOOD LUCK

It seems, as noted by "tvdave", that Steve was about to be publicly "outed" by some unscrupulous person, so he did the best he could, by going public "herself". I'm sure she would have much rather gone home and discussed it with her family first, but I don't think she had the time, since the story was about to go public.

Kate Simmons
02-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when news of this nature doesn't make anyone bat an eye or says:"Oh, that's nice.":happy:

Brianna Lovely
02-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when news of this nature doesn't make anyone bat an eye or says:"Oh, that's nice.":happy:

I agree with you, Salandra, but if you look at the readers comments, posted after the St. Pete. Times article, we'ver got a long way to go, before reaching acceptence.

Tina B.
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I feel sorry for the poor woman, and her family, it is hard enough to live this life, with out having to do it in the spotlight. I agree, she should have told her family first, But being outed, well as one in the closet, if some reporter, came up to me and asked such a thing, I can't say how I would react, or what would be the first thing out of my mouth. Her career is over, her family life is over, and her son has to suffer, it is a very sad story. It just shows me, that we still have a long way to go, to find any kind of understanding, much less aceptance, or compassion. I just don't think I can find it within me, to condemn her!
Tina B. :sad: :sad:

marie354
02-22-2007, 12:42 PM
It seems, as noted by "tvdave", that Steve was about to be publicly "outed" by some unscrupulous person, so he did the best he could, by going public "herself". I'm sure she would have much rather gone home and discussed it with her family first, but I don't think she had the time, since the story was about to go public.

It did seem to me that he had no choice and wasn't properly prepared for it to come out this way.

Yea, me too. Oh glory days.

tvdave
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Brianna's absolutely right. He didn't have time to get together with his family.

But, in public life he had to know that sooner or later, word would get out. Especially since he had revealed this to "close friends." One of them leaked !

I think he should have discussed this with his son BEFORE he started HRT. He also makes enough money to send his son to private school out of state so he could avoid the embarrassment he is now facing.

Steve/Suzy asked us not to contact his family. That will last for a while but the family WILL be questioned.

The real issue is not if he should live his true gender, but if he should make the change in public. He is paid by even those who feel he is acting immorally. They, too, pay taxes.

He should have resigned his $140,000 a-year job.

Susie

Deidra Cowen
02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Till you have had a reporter in your face with a camera or recorder ya just don't know how tough it is to answer questions espeically if you are caught off guard! I've done it twice even been on the news, you hardly remember what the heck you told them when you are finished!!! No joke.

I personally am pulling for her to do well and hope her family is not hurt too much. I am in the closet at work, but take insane risks myself running around Atlanta enfemme so I sure am not going to judge how he behaved during all this. (by the way my daughter knows about me being a Tgirl)

Wonder if she is a member here??? Would not be surprised.

crusadergirl
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Hes got guts to do that.

MJ
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
i wish her well, it takes guts,
Quote :- He should have resigned his $140,000 a-year job.
hell no he/she can still work , anyone at CD.com can still do there jobs en femme why resign .. thats like saying woman can't do job's that are for men
i think if the media leave her alone she will do just fine

Eugenie
02-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I am not a religious person, but I believe in the sentence "Though shall not judge".

From personal experience, having been Communication Director of a large Company branch, it is extremely hard to resist the media when they have something on you... That poor man must have been in a tremendous stress with the journalists playing arm twisting on him... I dont think he had any chance to call his family. Like some one said "didnt the media have anything better to print"

It shows that we need to make the media a lot more knowledgeable about X-Dressing so they wont treat it as a shamefull thing worse breaking the news...

But facing the fluries of nasty questions the man had the choice between lying and telling the truth. I think he made te only choice possible in this situation. I have sympathy for his family though...

Yours.

Eugenie

tvdave
02-22-2007, 04:45 PM
People who accept high-profile government jobs open their lives to the public. It goes with the territory.

I wish she could stay. She is extremely competent.

We are trying to find how the sex change could affect her job performance and we are coming up blank.

Most serious issue appears to be city is hiring counselors for employees to deal with the situation. What a waste of money.

Some have also raised issue of the cost of his medical care, but we believe this non-issue if he had cancer or heart disease. Nobody would complain.

Brianna Lovely
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
People who accept high-profile government jobs open their lives to the public. It goes with the territory.

I wish she could stay. She is extremely competent.

We are trying to find how the sex change could affect her job performance and we are coming up blank.

Most serious issue appears to be city is hiring counselors for employees to deal with the situation. What a waste of money.

Some have also raised issue of the cost of his medical care, but we believe this non-issue if he had cancer or heart disease. Nobody would complain.

As far as her work performance goes, shame on anyone who would now question HER abilities. Has anyone ever heard of Discrimination Based on SEX????

According to the Fox 13 News, tonight, the city is NOT hiring counselors, THEY have volunteered their services for free. And, Steven is paying all his own medical expenses, no insurance involved.

Sheila
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
, it is extremely hard to resist the media when they have something on you... That poor man must have been in a tremendous stress with the journalists playing arm twisting on him... I dont think he had any chance to call his family. Eugenie

Sorry gotta disagree.....he was quick enough to tell the press............ and in a matter of minutes............... did he just decide in 2 mins to have sex change surgery............. my heart goes out to his family............discovering your partner is a cdr privately is tough enough........ discovering your husband/dad is having a sex change via public disclosure ............ well:Angry3: :Angry3: I wouldn't be rational..................... god

Sally24
02-22-2007, 07:28 PM
The real issue is not if he should live his true gender, but if he should make the change in public. He is paid by even those who feel he is acting immorally. They, too, pay taxes.

He should have resigned his $140,000 a-year job.

Susie

They pay him to manage the city. They haven't bought his soul. The day we get to pass judgement on the private decissions of all of the government employees is the day all good people will leave the civil service. I don't care if the bus driver at school dislikes the president, that doesn't affect his job. If the clerk of courts is gay it doesn't affect his job. If the police chief is a strict catholic, as long as he doesn't let if affect his job, who cares! Just because it is public because someone put it in the newspaper doesn't change the fact. The gender of the city manager does not affect their job. Would it be an issue to you if the job was not high paying?

Sally

Sally24
02-22-2007, 10:03 PM

And how do you know he didn't get his son out of school?

I've read all that I can find online, as well as some video. From what I read, he was going to announce when his son was away so he wouldn't be hounded by the press. It doesn't specifically say that he hadn't discussed it at all with his son. His son's reaction when they watched the news that night (see this video http://www.baynews9.com/VideoPlayer/?Stanton_Speaks_To_Bay_News_Nine_222 ) seems to indicate that it wasn't a traumatic revelation to him.

As for his wife, do you seriously think that you could live with someone who is going thru counseling, taking hormones, and having electrolysis done without knowing that something was going on? He talks about his wife being upset about it but I think that is a reaction to unplanned newspaper stories and not the fact that he is transgendered.

Alot of people seem to be making up facts that don't seem to exist. Try reading the story and going on only what is writen there.

The facts are that a few friends, family, and key members in the city's departments knew in advance of the newspaper article. He had extensive plans for what and when he was doing things. One of his trusted friends he told, notified the newspaper for whatever reason. When he was confronted by the reporter, he took an agressive response so that his side would be represented. Then he made statements to the other press and tv so that the truth would be out there from the beginning. Then he went home to his family and talked to his 13 year old son.

Without any more information than that, I have a hard time finding any fault in his/her behavior. Lets be a little more open minded. Isn't that what we are all about?

Sally
http://www.baynews9.com/VideoPlayer/?Steve_Stanton_Press_Conference_221

http://www.bn9.com/content/36/2007/2/22/225784.html

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2007/2/22/commissioner_sex_change.html

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBENUJMGYE.html?imw=Y

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/21/Northpinellas/Largo_official_prepar.shtml

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/21/Tampabay/Letters_regarding_Ste.shtml

http://thefloridamasochist.blogspot.com/

Brianna Lovely
02-23-2007, 04:25 AM
"Without any more information than that, I have a hard time finding any fault in his/her behavior. Lets be a little more open minded. Isn't that what we are all about?"

Thank you, Sally, very well put.

Brianna Lovely
03-05-2007, 12:18 PM
For those people who have followed this story, here's the latest update.

Local religious leaders plan protest
By EILEEN SCHULTE
Published March 5, 2007

It wasn't chiseled into a stone tablet.

But there is an 11th commandment, say some local religious leaders, and the controversy over Largo City Manager Steve Stanton is a good time to remember it.

"Thou shalt not discriminate," said the Rev. Abhi Janamanchi, pastor of Unitarian Universalists of Clearwater.

He and other ministers say the Largo City Commission violated that unwritten directive when it moved to fire Stanton, 48, last week after he disclosed that he plans to have a sex-change operation.

Because of the commission's decision, an interfaith coalition of religious leaders from throughout the Tampa Bay area will gather at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the steps of Largo City Hall, 201 Highland Ave., in a peaceful protest against what they feel is a grave injustice. They hope other like-minded citizens will participate as well.

Through the demonstration, they hope to urge commissioners to change their minds and not fire Stanton.

A dozen members of the clergy have indicated they will attend, as well as at least 100 members of various churches and at least one temple who hope to change commissioners' minds. Attendees are expected to come from congregations countywide.

Helping to galvanize the effort was a remark made by Ron Sanders, pastor of Lighthouse Baptist Church in Largo, on the night Stanton was dismissed.

"If Jesus was here tonight, I can guarantee you he'd want him terminated," he told commissioners.

"The Jesus I know called us to love one another and taught us to stop judging by appearances, but judge justly," said the Rev. Leddy Hammock, pastor of Unity Church of Clearwater. "Have we acted in justice and love? In a system where hatred and prejudice holds sway, no one is safe."

Hammock said that for far too long "the religious right has been the voice of religion."

But, alluding to a survey done last week by the St. Petersburg Times, she said that faction does not represent the beliefs of the more liberal-thinking faith leaders, "which turns out to be the majority."

The survey of 601 adults in Largo and other Pinellas communities found a majority of respondents said the City Commission made the wrong decision and should have taken more time before making a decision. The poll also found strong majorities of residents who said they would accept working with someone who had a sex-change operation.

Organizers of the event originally thought of calling for a boycott of Largo businesses in protest of the decision. But they concluded that move would not keep the discussion of the issue going, which is their goal.

Janamanchi said every religion speaks of compassion, not selective compassion for the few, for whom it is easy to love, but compassion for all, including those we do not understand.

Lovely Rita
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
It will be great when all of these kinds of stories are no longer "News", but everyday occurances.

Brianna Lovely
03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I agree with you.

So, to help things along, giggle, on Friday I went to the town of Largo, to do some business. Of course, I was "semi-dressed", giggle, wore fem jeans, a black bra top, deep-V blue fem top, nails done, fem jewlery, earings, and lipstick, and carried a denim purse.

I must say, that despite some of the negative feelings expressed towards Miss Stanton, I was treated with respect, by everyone I met.

Chris St Pete
03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
THANK YOU Sally & Brianna for outlining the facts as they are known. People rushed to judgement prior to and during the meeting without knowing all the facts. Some even believed the city was paying for the therapy and also would be paying for the surgery. So goes the fish story - gets bigger and bigger with total loss of reality and truth.