PDA

View Full Version : Keep us in your thoughts

Vanessa Sheridan
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted you to know that I'm helping to facilitate a seminar at the U of Minnesota tomorrow (Saturday, the 24th) for the local trans community. I've been doing this for the last 12 years in conjunction with the U's Program in Human Sexuality, and the goal is to promote safety, health, awareness, and community for transfolk. Please keep us in your thoughts--especially since we're supposed to get several inches of snow within the next 2-3 days. Travel might get a bit sticky for some of the attendees (not to mention yours truly!).

Thanks,
Vanessa Sheridan

marie354
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Vanessa, I'm so glad. You are one of the best represenatives for us all.
Please, please, drive carefully because the roads can become very slippery.

RobertaFermina
02-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Thank You for being You!

Best wishes for you and all attendees and all who take part in producing this Seminar.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Christina Nicole
02-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I've been doing this for the last 12 years in conjunction with the U's Program in Human Sexuality, and the goal is to promote safety, health, awareness, and community for transfolk.

I don't know if this is to the benefit or detriment of those who are transgendered. Other than those whose paraphilia involves clothing of the opposite sex, for example, the panty fetishists, crossdressing and transsexuality have little to nothing to do with sexuality. To lecture about transgenderism within the bounds of sexuality would tend to reinforce incorrect and obsolete stereotypes. The common stereotypes of crossdressers being gay (http://crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=761553&postcount=1) or falling under the umbrella of transvestic fetishism should be downplayed, not aggrandized.

It might be better if that session does get snowed out. I can't think of one good reason to compound undesirable belief patterns.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Sharon
02-23-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't know if this is to the benefit or detriment of those who are transgendered. Other than those whose paraphilia involves clothing of the opposite sex, for example, the panty fetishists, crossdressing and transsexuality have little to nothing to do with sexuality. To lecture about transgenderism within the bounds of sexuality would tend to reinforce incorrect and obsolete stereotypes. The common stereotypes of crossdressers being gay (http://crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=761553&postcount=1) or falling under the umbrella of transvestic fetishism should be downplayed, not aggrandized.

It might be better if that session does get snowed out. I can't think of one good reason to compound undesirable belief patterns.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Why assume the seminar will reinforce stereotypes or "belief patterns?" I'm making the assumption that Vanessa will be clarifying what transgenderism actually is and not what the prevailing perceptions may be.

Good luck, Vanessa -- I hope it goes well.:thumbsup:

SherriePall
02-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Good luck, Vanessa.

Holly
02-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Safe travel, Vanessa. And may your seminar enlighten and inform many!

Billijo49504
02-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Sounds good to me, but please point out to the participants, to be very careful...BJ

Vanessa Sheridan
02-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Christina, your concerns are legitimate and I appreciate you voicing them. I just wanted to clarify a couple of points. Let me say that, first of all, I'm not lecturing--I'm facilitating. There's a big difference. Second, my focus is not on sexuality, per se, and I'm certainly not going to be reinforcing harmful stereotypes or dwelling on transvestic fetishism. The seminar's goal is to help transpeople better understand themselves, their options (socially, psychologically, relationships, presentation-wise, etc.), and their ability to become part of a community that is supportive and encouraging to them. (The seminar is entitled "All Gender Health", and that covers a lot of territory.)

My desire is to help people get away from undesirable belief patterns and move toward healthy behaviors, not to reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes. Hope that helps.

Also, and fortunately, we didn't get as much snow so far as anticipated, so this morning it looks like things will be okay for the seminar. I hope lots of people will be helped.

Vanessa

Vanessa Sheridan
02-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks to all for your good wishes. I'm so glad to be part of this caring community. You are the best sisters and brothers anyone could have.

Vanessa

lahr
02-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Dood luck and be safe.

Tina B.
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
My desire is to help people get away from undesirable belief patterns and move toward healthy behaviors, not to reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes. Hope that helps.

Also, and fortunately, we didn't get as much snow so far as anticipated, so this morning it looks like things will be okay for the seminar. I hope lots of people will be helped.

I know you will represent our community well, good luck and save roads be with you!
Tina B.

steffie39
02-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Good luck!

michellebesweet
02-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Good luck Vanessa, I will be thinking of you and your safety. I think it is wonderful what you are doing.

Vanessa Sheridan
02-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Just wanted everyone to know that the seminar went fantastically well (despite all the snow, which is still coming down as I write this). There were over 100 transpeople in attendance, and it was a beautiful thing to look out across that group and see folks of different races, ages, sexualities, and genders. What a melting pot, and what a wonderful picture of the diversity that our community holds! I believe we did some good work today. Thanks to all for your encouragement and support--I feel blessed to be part of this community.

Vanessa

Holly
02-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for letting us know about the seminar, Vanessa... and thanks for representing us in such a positive light!

michellebesweet
02-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the lovely note, and glad everything went well and your back safe, be careful up there in that snow. Come back down south for a little R&R.

trannie T
02-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Glad everything went well, hope you're enjoying the snow we're supposed to get a little over the next few days.

marie354
02-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Vanessa, I'm glad that it went so well. I'm sure that I can say... We are all very proud of you.