PDA

View Full Version : What cd for voice coaching?

Amanda Shaft
02-24-2007, 03:29 AM
To try and develop some sort of higher voice I’ve taken to singing along with various female artists on cd in my car. I reckon the best is Debbie Harry as she has such a great range: so Blondie’s greatest hits gets played the most, ‘Picture This’ being my favourite track. Who’s your favoured songstress or which album do you listen to for voice enhancement and development?
Oodles of love, Amanda

PaulaJaneThomas
02-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Debbie Harry is fabulous. As is Chrissie Hinds. And Annie Lennox. Can't sing like any of them though which is why I don't do girl songs even if I do a gig in Brocketta mode. Something like Anarchy In The UK suits my singing voice better :devil:

RobertaFermina
02-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Haven't targetted anyone as my voice model.

I *DO* love to listen to Barbra Streisand, and Bonnie Raitt. Not exactly high octave singers...probably in the range I would do nicely though.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

samperle
02-24-2007, 07:56 AM
I really enjoy singing along with Shania Twain(and she is Canadian eh). Really gets the vocal chords working well. I must say that while I never really thought about Debbie Harry before, I will have to give her a try since she does have a fabulous voice.:thumbsup:

Samantha

Angela E.
02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
How a low voice can still sound feminine,listen to Nico.I`d recommend "The Marble Index",and the best of"The Classic Years"-Angela.:star: :star: :star: :GE: :star: :star: :star:

Sally24
02-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Try Diana Krall. She has a deep, throaty, but very female voice that stays in a range that I can keep. Great piano and a nice upbeat jazz sound that is very classic and classy.

Sally

http://www.dianakrall.com/music.aspx?pid=9573
http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/images/local/toenails/F7B76E66668A417FBB7732103BD853A3.jpg

ErikaLeigh
02-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Pat Benetar

Rachel Morley
02-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Amamda,

I do this too. I like Madonna.

PaulaJaneThomas
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
I like Madonna.

Play you cards right and she might adopt you :D

Trisha
02-24-2007, 03:55 PM
now there are some blasts from the past but i whanted to look like debbie harry at one time back in the late seventys lol :D

Jena11
02-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I too listen to MaDonna, and try to hit the sounds correctly. I do not think I am doing that well, Just have to keep trying. Jena

Amanda Shaft
02-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Great suggestions girls, I’ll give them a go as I acquire the artists cd’s. Picking up on that hint of the Badger how about the Sex Pistols ‘Pretty Vacant’ as an anthem for us? We’re so pretty oh so pretty, pretty vacant! Okay I’m speaking for myself I know, sorry! Keep the faith Amanda x

Hermione Simpson
02-27-2007, 02:23 AM
either kelly clarkson (breakaway album) or melanie c (any of her 3 solo albums)

Kate Simmons
02-27-2007, 04:19 AM
I like both Pat Benatar and Madonna.:happy:

kerrianna
02-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Tori Amos. That girl is sooooo cool! I wish I was her!

marie354
02-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I never thought of singing to help improve my femme voice. Sounds like a really good idea. Seems logical enough.

MJ
02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
well my voice model. is Cher my vocal range almost matches hers so if it's good enough for Cher it's good enough for me .. i also have a voice coach and she is great she help me raise my pitch and then all i do is sing in that pitch and practice is the key

shannonsilk
02-27-2007, 10:32 AM
when i'm singing along to a heart song such as crazy on you or magic man i feel like i'm in the right pitch. i am not singing the same notes as ann wilson. i will have to listen to chrissie and deborah some more.

marie354
02-27-2007, 10:49 AM
when i'm singing along to a heart song such as crazy on you or magic man i feel like i'm in the right pitch. i am not singing the same notes as ann wilson. i will have to listen to chrissie and deborah some more.

Oh yes, YES! I love singing to Heart. I actually met Nancy once. It was a big thrill for me. I didn't even know who it was at first and was just trying to "pick her up." I don't remember what line I used but she looked at me, told me that it was the best pick-up line she had heard in years and bought ME a drink. When she told me who she was... My jaw hit the floor. She gave me a big hug before she left. No one believed it was her, but she showed me her ID. I knew.

Michelle Ellis
02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
well I'm not sure singing in the car with a female vocalist is doing the trick for me, but yeah, I like Gwen Stefani from No Doubt... she has a very feminine voice and it's in my range.

There must be more to developing a feminine voice tho...

M

JoAnnDallas
02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
There are voice training programs you can get. At HEF2006 we had voice clinic give a seminar about producing a fem voice. They said that the best way to determine if you have a real fem voice, is to be reconized as a female over the telephone. They said that even a voice that sounds fem in person may sound masculian over a telephone.

jo_ann
02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
I find that really femme songs are a crutch. If you really want a challenge, re-create a male song in a female voice, that's a true test to see if your doing it correctly. A lot of us raise the pitch, which isn't what you want.