PDA

View Full Version : Local Laws

Rene L
02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I may have some opportunities in the near future to go out into public places in dresses. I have no desire (nor means) to make myself look feminine. Are there trustworthy websites where I can check the laws of the local governments concerning this pastime? I certainly don't want to end up in jail just because I went out to have a little fun! (If it makes any difference, I'm in the Kansas City area, which includes several smaller local governments, too.)

Melinda G
02-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Most gender based laws have been overturned, or abolished in recent years.
A little common sense goes a long ways.

linnea
02-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I wish I knew specifically for your area, but keep in mind that your manner of dress is not usually a matter of legality. It may aggravate people's mores or moral principles, but it is not typically illegal for a man to dress in women's clothes any more for a woman to wear men's clothes. Now, if you are causing a disturbance--because of something other than how you are dressed--or you are attempting to deceive another party, or you enter places where other parties have a reasonable expectation of privacy (this one could be gender-based) such as a dressing room, rest room, or other such facility, you could be in violation of a statute.
CDs who have used dressing rooms in shops that are CD-friendly are usually not in any jeopardy because the SA offer them the opportunity to use changing rooms knowing that they are CDs, but this can be a fine line.
In a world where women frequently wear male-looking suits, ties, pants, shirts (as opposed to blouses), etc., it is unlikely that any law would exist any more that would restrict anyone from wearing anything anywhere.
:2c:

susie evans
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
that's agood question but i think if you dress and try to blend in you will be just fine act as though you belong and try not too get much attention have funn

susie

amanda barber
02-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Most places with masquerade laws on the books have the use of masks specificly covering the face in the wording of the law.

janedoe311
02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
In California there used to be a section in the Penal code specifically making wearing a “disguise” a misdemeanor. The purpose was to deter bank robbers from wearing a disguise. . It would just add another list of crimes to bank robbery.

Kind of silly right?

Defining a disguise is a problem, Wearing a false mustache or beard, dying your hair. Wearing a wig to change your appearance. I may still be on the “book” I have to look at my copy or the Penal code, but it not enforced. They can use the section to make a misdemeanor a felon in a crime by showing intent. So just do not commit any crime in Drag.

Also some local laws specifically outlawed “disguises”. But those are gone in most states definitely in California, but not necessarily in the conservative states.

trannie T
02-26-2007, 08:14 PM
If you want to have some fun, call your local police department. You will probably receive a definative, "I don't know."

JulieCDorlando
02-26-2007, 08:23 PM
I am taking it that you will go out dressed in or near where you live? Most federal, state, local governments have thier ordinaces/laws posted on websites, you'll just have to Google" them to find out the web address or you can call and have them give you web addresses.
I am sure you have heard this before, be careful where ever you go. If possible go with one or two other people/CD for safety's sake. There are some people that are threatened by CD's, and will go out of their way to "make a point" with one of us no matter where.

sterling12
02-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Almost everywhere in The States, it's not illegal to wear clothing of the opposite sex. Those sorts of laws have been knocked down in The Courts numerous times, usually on First Amendment Grounds regarding it as another variation of your freedom of speech.

Kansas City I would imagine has been pretty open for a long, long, time. When I went to School there in The 60s, the town was famous for hosting "The Jewel Box Revue". Inotherwords, lots of campy Female Impersonators doing their thing, in a club, right downtown! Can't imagine that they didn't often wear their costumes home and I would imagine that more than a few of us "amateurs" also attended, en femme. Also can't imagine that The K.C. Cops were doing any arresting, lots of "straight people" attending the shows and arresting the patrons equals bad P.R.

By all means, check out the local laws. Who knows what you might find...but, I wouldn't hold my breath. Keep your nose clean, don't DUI, or start a fight, you should be fine.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sweet Jane
02-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi rene

I went to a bar in town where an indie band was playing and a guy...no feminising..in a dress turned up...no one batted an eyelid. I think there is more scorn if you wear makeup and try to loook femme...i'd say go for it after what I saw

noname
02-27-2007, 01:34 AM
I think your worried for nothing. Like others have said, most of those old laws have been done away with. Mostly since women now wear pants. They'd have to throw every women on the street in jail, in order to toss you in. As for the disguise thing that others here have talked about. I wouldn't even worry about that. As long as your not breaking any laws and using your clothes to conceal your identity, I wouldn't worry.

Now, to totally ease your mind. Try this, it has a map as well as some pdf's to download for states specifics on gender expression.

http://www.gpac.org/workplace/states.html

Hope this helps.

MsJanessa
02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
from a legal perspective(I've been a lawyer for more years than I care to remember) most places, if not all, have no laws against crossdressing per se--that said, almost all jurisdictions have laws against prostitution, disorderly conduct(drunk and disorderly), drunk driving etc---when you go out dressed you should exercize common sense---if you are going to the local mall or supermarket, don't dress or behave in a manner that attracts attention to yourself(hint don't dress like Me in My avatar) short slirt, shiny fabrics, high heels, big hair and heavy makeup are not good for the mall. My advice is to find a TG freindly venue( like a gay bar--particularly on drag night) and try there first--malls and restaurants etc are fun but only after you have honed your dressing and make up skills and built your self confidence elsewhere---and remember, the whole idea is to have fun--If you "pass" fine, if you don't thats fine too---the truth is very few of us "pass" all the time---as long as We are accepted and not harassed everything is cool---if you have doubts about which bar or nightclub welcomes TGs(most gay ones do but some you might be uncomfortable) call before hand and ask.

lynn27
02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
going back to your question, there are all kinds of legal forums, try:

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/index.php
http://www.freeadvice.com/all_topics.htm
http://www.findlaw.com/

Sasha Anne Meadows
02-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I am a substantial contributor to the ACLU and I know they would like to go after any cases that arise from cross dressing.

btmgrl6
03-08-2007, 02:50 AM
It's againast the law in california to disguise your identity,but a police officer friend of mine says that the law is rarely enforced....infact they hardly ever give you a second look,unless they suspect you of commiting a crime..Here in Hollywood we can even walk down the street smoking pot,and you won't be arrested or ticketed....I have personally been stopped in Los Angeles fully enfemme. and all I got was a warning not to cross the street in the middle of the block. I was with another cd'er, and after the warning the officer said..Have a nice day ladies.

noname
03-08-2007, 03:35 AM
How can wearing certain cuts of clothes be considered consealing your identity? If your clothes define who you are as a person, what would the issue be? If that is the case, they would have to throw half the population of california in jail for wearing pants. Imagine a day all women are required to wear makeup and skirts. Course that would never happen as society considers them an elite group with special provisions.

But back to the origonal post, you got nothing to worry about. Live life and enjoy it.

Joy Carter
03-08-2007, 05:06 AM
I remember here in my city during the sixties and early seventies. We had a law stating that is was illegal, to appear in the public in the opposite sexes clothing. I don't know why there were so many, but the arrests were in the local paper, complete with the arrestees name and address. It was obvious to me even at the time they were trying to teach the gurls a lesson.

annecwesley
03-08-2007, 05:29 AM
I am considering a similar excursion -a man in a skirt out for the afternoon. I too have thought about the law, but ask yourself, when as the last time you read in the newspaper about a guy being arrested for wearing a skirt?

I think in this day and age if you are conservative in how you dress you might give some people something to tell their friends at home ("Yeah, and he had really great legs!") but you won't end up on the police blotter or in any other sort of trouble.