PDA

View Full Version : stamp collecting is a hobby; not xdressing

lowlavalentine
02-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Maybe it's just my pet peeve, and if so, forgive me. But it irks me when crossdressing is referred to as a "hobby".

The implication is that dressing is like collecting stamps or assembling model airplanes. I've had hobbies come and go, but cding isn't one of them. It's been a persistent, important part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Referring to xdressing as a hobby may be a socially acceptable way of viewing it, but in my mind, it doesn't do full credit to the depth and importance of the behavior.

Do you feel that the word "hobby" describes your crossdressing?

Lowla

susie bear
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
I absolutely agree. It is not a "hobby"

Like you, if it were, we could quit. Ain't no way!!

However I for one enjoy it and don't have any intention of quiting.

Love to all,

susie bear

JulieCDorlando
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
What one calls CDing a hobby another might call it perverted, immoral, indecent, or something worse. I say as long as what one calls CDing isnt used for a put down or other wise used to oppress, then calling crossdressing a hobby isn't such a bad thing. Granted that there sre some that let CDing envelope them wholly. I can certainly understand why they would not want thier CDing to be referred to as a "hobby". My Cding isn't something I ponder on, or do 24/7. If opportunity presents itself then I will take advantage of the CDing. CDing is a small part of me, and it doesn't rule my life. It is part time for me, so I consider my CDing as a hobby, if I were to give it a label. I am respectful enough to have others call their CDing what ever they choose to call it. I say to each their own.

kaitlin
02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I also agree...Crossdressing is a choice and a way of life. I too have had, and still do, many different hobbies. But I feel compelled to dress, it makes me feel secure and complete inside! Wood working, building 4X4 trucks, fishing, camping...they are are fun but I'm in no way compelled to do any of them. They don't make me feel like I do when I'm dressed, unless I'm doing them dressed, but that is another thread. Kaitlin

Casey Morgan
02-28-2007, 10:46 AM
My crossdressing isn't a hobby. It's a form of self-expression in the same way that wearing a T-shirt and jeans on the weekend or wearing a polo shirt and twill pants to work are forms of self-expression.

But then that's MY crossdressing. To some people it IS a hobby. And that's cool too. Is it something I can relate to? No. But what I can relate to is they've defined what it is for themselves. I think it's great when somebody understands what it means to them. It seems that not everybody gets to that point.

Now, try to tell me that MY crossdressing is a hobby and we're going to have more than just a "few" words; we're going to have an entire treatise. But as long as we understand that it is what it is to me and it is what it is to you, and we can respect that, everything's good.

cindychan
02-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Well for me some parts of crossdressing are a hobby like collecting different wigs, makeup, Nylons, ect. It dosn't mean crossdressing itself is a hobby though. Woderwoman fighting crime is not a hobby, it's who she is, much like me and crossdressing.

marie354
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
As you say... Hobbies have come and gone with me, but my dressing has always been there, every day.
Although I wouldn't compare it to anything like stamp collecting, or coin collecting, but I seem to collect a lot of clothes & shoes.

Nope! Not a hobby to me at all.

Robin Leigh
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't like it when people refer to CDing as a hobby. It's an expression or manifestation of the gender diversity we were born with. Sure, it may have some element in common with hobbies (especially obsessive ones :)), but that doesn't mean that CDing is a hobby.

Some people, including some CDers, may think of it as a hobby, because they haven't truly realized how deep the source of the CDing desires is. Such CDers may be the lucky ones: by responding naturally to their TG urges & not causing themselves mental anguish & emotional trauma, they have avoided gender dysphoria. However, most of us here have experienced at least some trauma due to our gender diversity, and this has lead us to realize that it is an extremely powerful part of our natures.

Robin

NatalieH
02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Lowla

To me, a hobby is something you do, a lifestyle (or pick your own word) is something you are. I can see that for some, CD'ing could be a hobby; for me it's become part of me, an expression of who I am. In any event, why should it bother you what word someone uses to describe it...they'll never understand it anyway. I certainly don't.

Natalie

carolinebrookes
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
The English Dictionary describes the word "Hobby" (noun) as: "a pleasant activity for ones free time" So technically, Crossdressing could be described as a hobby.
The defination certainly describes my habit but not how i view it. I guess it all depends on how you yourself perceive crossdressing within your own life.
Everyone is different. I doubt it is as geeky as Stamp collecting or train spotting!!

Shelly Preston
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Crossdressing means so many different things to different people.

You can not say for some it is not a hobby even though it may be annoying.

For some its a desire , a compulsion, a need and it will never be a hobby it is much much more serious.

Just be who you are and enjoy it.

Robin Leigh
02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
I doubt it is as geeky as Stamp collecting or train spotting!! Did someone say train spotting?

http://www.beckysweb.co.uk/choose_drab.htm

:hugs:

Robin

PaulaJaneThomas
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Maybe it's just my pet peeve, and if so, forgive me. But it irks me when crossdressing is referred to as a "hobby".

The implication is that dressing is like collecting stamps or assembling model airplanes. I've had hobbies come and go, but cding isn't one of them. It's been a persistent, important part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Referring to xdressing as a hobby may be a socially acceptable way of viewing it, but in my mind, it doesn't do full credit to the depth and importance of the behavior.

I agree with you 100%.

DeeInGeorgia
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
I think saying "Like to crossdress" falls into the same category as "hobby". For me at least, it is a "need" and not just a "like".

But for some I guess it can be the other way. To each her own.

Dee

Deidra Cowen
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I make no apologies, for me its a very fun hobby. :tongueout If I started down the path to being fulltime then perhaps it would no longer be a very fun diversion and then a lifesytle change.

melissaabom
02-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi

Just my two cents,Crossdressing is a lifestlye for me .
It is definetly a relaxant ,after a stressful day at work.

My femm side gives me a great outfit to express myself

Melissa

Mary Jane
02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
All of us are different and have our own opinion. Just forget what people want to call there dressing and enjoy it.

Angie G
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I love dressing be it a hobby or whatever I'm not becoming a woman so it may be a horry I don't care what you call it I love it :hugs:
Angie

amanda barber
02-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Lowla

No it doesn't.

Karren H
02-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Well in my opinion it is my hobby!!! Mabe it's not yours and that's just fine but why knock people whom think otherwise??? Hmmmm??? Call it what you like, I'll call it what I like..... I also like to think of it as a sport sometimes.....

Karren

Amy Hepker
02-28-2007, 09:18 PM
No, but if it helps the world accept us then let it be. We can straighten it out after we are accepted.

linnea
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
For me, it is absolutely not a hobby; it is a way of life. My femininity is part of my being. I express it by crossdressing. Without it, my life would be incomplete. I enjoy gardening; without it, my life would be less pleasurable but not incomplete.

amanda barber
02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
My main problem with it described as a hobby, is that it gives ammunition to the "whats more important to you" arguement. It takes away from the fact that this is a deep part of the personalty of a person for many, something from birth and equates it with watching sports or topiary, or collecting something. The word "hobby" turns it into a trivial choice of what to do with your spare time.

Satrana
03-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Some people, including some CDers, may think of it as a hobby, because they haven't truly realized how deep the source of the CDing desires is. Such CDers may be the lucky ones: by responding naturally to their TG urges & not causing themselves mental anguish & emotional trauma, they have avoided gender dysphoria. However, most of us here have experienced at least some trauma due to our gender diversity, and this has lead us to realize that it is an extremely powerful part of our natures.

I agree. Undoubtedly there are many who think of it as a hobby and treat it such and don't bother to consider the reasons behind it. That's fine but consider this...who would deliberatly pick out a socially taboo, isolating behaviour as a hobby? And as others have already pointed out - this stays with us even if it pains us and those we love around us. We cannot let it go.

Crossdressing is the manifestation of our desire to express femininity - we all have different ideas what femininity means and how it should be expressed, that is our individuality but we are all transgendered at heart. But then again, all humans are transgendered, its just that we have developed a compulsion to physically express it. Its this compulsion which makes us seem different.

My main problem with it described as a hobby, is that it gives ammunition to the "whats more important to you" arguement. It takes away from the fact that this is a deep part of the personalty of a person for many, something from birth and equates it with watching sports or topiary, or collecting something. The word "hobby" turns it into a trivial choice of what to do with your spare time.

Absolutely agree! The "what's more important to you" is a guilt trap. This is who we are and it should never be used against us to make us feel guilty or to force us to deny part of our personality.

DanaJ
03-01-2007, 06:06 AM
I guess I am more of a "hobby" CDer too :) And, you must have never known anyone really into stamp collecting or model airplane building (or cars, or radio control stuff, or scrapbookers, etc, because to some of them - it is a must. They can no more give it up than a serious CDer can stop dressing.....

Tashee
03-01-2007, 06:07 AM
What Melissa 51 said..

But..I like to teasingly add, I like to [I]dress sexy as my hobby..Meaning being a flirt or a tease.. (Only if I could be that lucky) and look that good! :eek:

Suzie S.
03-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Definitely not just a 'hobby' for me. A hobby makes it sound like I could lose interest or give it up. Cding is a part of me, I have no interest or ability to stop it. It is just who I am, and I like who I am. :happy:

Kelsy
03-01-2007, 07:59 AM
In my Opinion, Samp collecting is a weird hobby!:heehee:

Jennifer:happy:

Brianna Lovely
03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
For some people, CDing may be a choice, or hobby, if you will. But for many, it's an attempt to express their true selves, who they are, inside.

To me, it's part of my life

A couple of friends of mine, who happen to be Gay and just celebrated being together for 42 years, had this to say:

"Being Gay, is not a choice. For, who in their right mind, would choose to be someone, who spends most of their life hidding in the closet. Someone who is shunned by their own family, hated by society, beaten, killed or arrested, just for being themselves.

No, no one would choose to be Gay, we are born this way. So we must love and accept each other, because, we are alone in this world and only have each other."

princessmichelle
03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
To me, whether it is a hobby is, to me, whether I am cd or ts.

If I'm ts it's not a hobby.
If I think of it as my hobby, I can only do it in private or with other cd-ers.

Is it something I do (hobby) or something I _am_ (identity).

I don't know the answer for me, and when I tried to explain it to a non-cder, this is when I stuttered: is it "just" a hobby or is it something more?

Michelle

Casey Morgan
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Is it something I do (hobby) or something I _am_ (identity).

It can be an identity whether you're TS or not. (And by "you" I mean princessmichelle.) It sounds like the old "if I'm TS then I have a reason (excuse) to CD, otherwise I don't" thing. CDing doesn't need a valid excuse. It's enough that it's part of your identity (if it is). "TS or CD" and "hobby or identity" are two unrelated issues.

Deidra Cowen
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Undoubtedly there are many who think of it as a hobby and treat it such and don't bother to consider the reasons behind it. That's fine but consider this...who would deliberatly pick out a socially taboo, isolating behaviour as a hobby?

Isolating behavior? Tell that to the 20 or so Tgirls/CDs at the Stage Door last Saturday night! :tongueout I actually have a whole new set of friends and a pretty kewl little social life going on because of my CDing.

princessmichelle
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Casey,

You challenged me, and that's good. First, I'll plead guilty to conflating "identity" and "ts." That may have been a bad idea on my part.

And your larger point is well taken too: I do feel like I need to justify my crossdressing, and "hobby" does feel (to me) harder to justify than "identity" does.

And of course this is all complicated by society's disapproval on top of what would be a complicated topic even if society did approve. These are issues I'm struggling with.

A challenging response such as yours, Casey, gives me more to think about, helps me more, than one that says "I agree with Princess Michelle". (Though I confess to liking those too!).

Michelle

Karren H
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Everything you do is a choice of what's important to you, in my opinion... Do I want to dress up and go out shopping or do I want to play with my kids... Or do I want to go play hockey vs work on remodeling the bathroom... There's only so much time in a day..... And gives whom amunition? I don't know who's shooting at you!! Hehe

And the word hobby doesn't trivialize anything... People get pretty dang serious about their hobbys.. What ever that may be... to the point of obsession!! So one person's obsession could be for toy trains and anothers could be for cute dresses!!

Now if you have gender I'd issues then that's a different subject all together....

I personally could care less what I call it.... A sport, hobby, hort or spobby..... I just call it fun!!!!

Love Karren

Staci G
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I can give it up or not but I have ben crossdressing in one form or another for over 40 years but been playing golf for 10. I think Crossdressing has become more of who I am than any hobby.. Hobbies can change I dont forsee my self changing to say... wearing a bunny suit instead of fem things any time in the near future if I do I hope I can find a Bunnysuit wearers .com forum.

Thanks for askin'

Marcie Sexton
03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
To each their own...:2c:

If one wishes to consider it a hobby, then have at it...for me it is an important part of my life...Marcie is as real as I am, she has become a part of our lives< myself and my wife >.

She has her own wardrobe, all the way down to the unmentionables...:o , my wife buys for her, shares her makeup give tips on using it. For us its a house with two women and a guy... :happy:

JoAnnDallas
03-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Some have said that their CDing is a hobby. A hobby is defined as

Hobbies are practised for interest and enjoyment, rather than financial reward. Engaging in a hobby can lead to acquiring substantial skill, knowledge, and experience. However, personal fulfillment is the aim.

Some have said that CDing is more an addictive or compulsion.

Addiction is defined as:

The medical community now makes a careful theoretical distinction between physical dependence and psychological dependence (or simply addiction). Addiction is now narrowly defined as "uncontrolled, compulsive use"; if there is no harm being suffered by, or damage done to, the patient or another party, then clinically it may be considered compulsive, but to the definition of some it is not categorized as "addiction". In practice, the two kinds of addiction are not always easy to distinguish. Addictions often have both physical and psychological components.

Compulsions is defined as:
1. Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
2. The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive.

IMHO, I believe that CDing is both a Hobby and a Compulsion Addiction, since it fits into both catagories. I don't believe it is a Compulsion, such as OCD.
Since First, we are not harming any one, including ourselves and Second, we do it for personal fulfillment and gradification.

Trisha
03-01-2007, 04:02 PM
i agree its not a hobby and fog is like white and not pink :D

Karren H
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
And another thing............... Hehe. (I'm in a long boreing meeting so I have time to think of stuff).

So what's the difference between some guy that likes to dress up like a chick, part time and some guy that likes to dress up like a revolutionary solder, part time? I'd consider the latter a hobbiest!! Right?

I know some that say they were born in the wrong time period! Soooo instead of a gender id problem they have an evolutionary id problem?? Time periodly challenged? Instead of SRS someone needs to send them back in time!! Lol...

Now if you like to dress like a revolutary period woman.... Hehehe. We won't go there....

:D

Love Karren

RobertaFermina
03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure. (from answers.com)

Once CDing becomes a matter of identity, or a component of lifestyle that is fixed and cannot be removed, it is no longer a hobby. It may remain a pleasure when done, however anxiety, depression, or discomfort may occur when not done.

I am a rabid aficionado of Crossdressing, an advancing Hobbyist.
I think I am crossing into the zone where it is becoming a part of my Identity.
Roberta has her first Beauty Salon Discount Card in her own name!

My "Hobbyist Days" may be falling behind me.

However, I have had my "Hobbyist Days".

:rose: Roberta :rose:

P.S. I learned that Hobby is an ancient nickname for Robert, isn't that wierd?

Country girl
03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
And another thing............... Hehe. (I'm in a long boreing meeting so I have time to think of stuff).

So what's the difference between some guy that likes to dress up like a chick, part time and some guy that likes to dress up like a revolutionary solder, part time? I'd consider the latter a hobbiest!! Right?

I know some that say they were born in the wrong time period! Soooo instead of a gender id problem they have an evolutionary id problem?? Time periodly challenged? Instead of SRS someone needs to send them back in time!! Lol...

Now if you like to dress like a revolutary period woman.... Hehehe. We won't go there....

:D

Love Karren

Karren, You are such a hoot! You keep me in stitches.:lol2: You know how to shoot someone square in the forhead and make em feel good as they are going down.:devil: Now if only I had your finesse...:tongueout
:love: CG gg

Karren H
03-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Karen
I want to be a Victorian Era Pirate Wench.
Your an engineer can you design a time machine and if its not to much trouble a fast schooner it would be nice to have a head start in the past.

Schooner than later?? :D

I'm no HG Wells, but I can design you a nice coal mine if you've got a three quarters of a billion dollars laying around!! Hehe

Love Karren

Wenda
03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Relating to another thread about shopping, for me, I think the shopping is like a collector-hobby, and I go through different phases. Shoes, boots, last summer it was bras, now I am into skirts. I do it mainly at home, so it is not a lifestyle. If there were a nearby CD group or community, it might be lifefstyle. I have to be mindful of my employer, who is aware of my 'hobby' to a degree. I got scolded for a pic in which I was dressed, not for dressing, but becvause the way I was sitting wasn't ladylike, and could reflect poorly on the company. Interesting, eh?:heehee:

Tracy_Victoria
03-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Lowla

Sorry your wrong, hobbies don't come and go.

I collected stamps as a child, I still do!
I Built models as a Child I still do!
I crossdressed as a child, and I still do!

All three of these are my hobbies! ie things I do as an enjoyable pastime.

Toyah
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Lowla

I have to disagree for me it is a hobby when you start going on about gender dysmorphia and political action because you want to wear a skirt its WAAAAAAAAY to serious so chop em off or enjoy the hobby.
If it is that serious then transition, if not its a hobby

Wendy me
03-02-2007, 03:39 PM
i really don't give it a lot of thought , hobby, or what ever .... for a long time i could not even say to myself i am a cross dresser .... the way i see things now" it is what it is .. nothing more or nothing less... i don't try to explain it.... never mind understand it ....crossdressing is something i do ..... who i am is a lot more complected than what gender's clothing i happen to be in at the time.....

Kathleen Ann Trees
03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Can I find a cute dress, make up, and sexy heels at Hobby Lobby. Might have to look into that.

For me, the word hobby connotes something occasionally done in the spare time for pleasure, relaxation, or for social gathering. Seems to be an acceptable definition for me.

Julie York
03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Has anyone got the Penny Black Pantie Girdle with the faulty seam?