02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
City official faces firing over sex change plan
POSTED: 3:42 p.m. EST, February 28, 2007
Story Highlights• City Commission votes 5-2 to start firing process for manager
• City Manager Steve Stanton announced plans last week to pursue a sex change
• He has held the top job in Largo, Florida, for 14 years
• Stanton says he's transsexual
Adjust font size:
LARGO, Florida (AP) -- The City Commission voted to begin the process of firing a top official less than a week after he announced plans to pursue a sex-change operation.

The 5-to-2 vote Tuesday started a three-step process to remove City Manager Steve Stanton from the job he's held for 14 years.

Stanton, 48, confirmed last week that he is a transsexual. With a solid reputation as a forceful and energetic leader, he had hoped to keep his $140,000-a-year job as he underwent the gender reassignment process.

"It's just painful to know seven days ago I was a good guy and now ... I have no integrity," Stanton told the commission. "My challenge here has always been that someday I was going to leave this organization. So I am going to do it with a smile on my face."

Stanton can appeal the decision, though his contract says he can be fired without cause at any time.

He will be placed on paid leave while the city begins the legal process to end his contract. The council must vote again to formally fire him.

Mayor Patricia Gerard and Commissioner Rodney Woods cast the dissenting votes.

"He's done a great job for us," Gerard said. "He's done what we asked him to do and taken the heat over and over and over again and now we're going to turn on him."

Commissioner Mary Gray Black said Stanton's surprise announcement last week "caused stress, turmoil, distraction and work disruption" among other city employees.

"I do not feel he has the integrity, nor the trust, nor the respect, nor the confidence to continue as the city manager of the city of Largo," said Black, who introduced a resolution to fire Stanton on Monday.

About 500 people attended the meeting. Dozens signed up to speak, some praising Stanton and others saying the exposure of his secret life undermined his ability to lead the city.

City officials say they have received hundreds of e-mails about Stanton's announcement, most calling for his removal.

Largo is a city of about 76,000 about 22 miles west of Tampa.

ChristineRenee
02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes...this has been all over the news down here in Florida. A very sad commentary on how our community is viewed. So much intolerance and ignorance in this country to be overcome yet. :(

Felix
03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
It's diabolical in today's society that this can happen to an upstanding member of the community. Does it matter if he is trans? No it doesn't but inequality and discrimination rule as usual. Conservative narrow minded people who can't see passed the end of their own noses. This would be such a good opportunity for those people to show that it doesn't matter what ya gender or sexuality you are it's about doing the job right! What a chance to fly the flag for equality for trans people but instead they have shot themselves in the foot and probably damaged a lot more besides. Sorry enough ranting:o xx Felix :hugs:

Siobhan Marie
03-04-2007, 04:04 PM
It's ok Felix, you rant away because I totally agree with you. I feel so sorry for Steve Stanton over what is happening to him. It is so wrong. I thought that we were in the 21st century and in the age of equality not in the dark ages burning people at at the stake. We are people too, just trying to live our lives as best as we can. We've got a problem, a problem that we have do something about and people push us away and call us the most horrid names you can ever imagine. It rips me in two, it really does and it makes me so sad to the point where I want to sob my heart out. :cry: We are not the names we get called. We are the bravest people that you will ever meet.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

AmberTG
03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
This country is full of narrow minded, uneducated people who just don't get it, The fear of anything different from them is a powerful force that they give into without thinking about it. It's the most uncivilized thing that humans do, and the cause of most of the problems between humans. Will we ever mature as a species? I seriously wonder sometimes if we can ever overcome this fear and move on as a species.

Siobhan Marie
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
This country is full of narrow minded, uneducated people who just don't get it, The fear of anything different from them is a powerful force that they give into without thinking about it. It's the most uncivilized thing that humans do, and the cause of most of the problems between humans. Will we ever mature as a species? I seriously wonder sometimes if we can ever overcome this fear and move on as a species.

Amber, I often wonder that one myself hun and the conclusion I've come to is that we won't and for the reasons that you mention.

Felix
03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Here here Ladies I totally agree with ya :hugs: xx Felix

Sierra Evon
03-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Ditto " " " :yt: , the world is going to heck in a hand basket !!!!!

Alaceann
03-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Mary Black should be fired for discrimination. She is just afraid of anything out of the ordinary, maybe she's afraid he will be more of a woman than her!

joanlynn28
03-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I got fed up with the way the media the way it's been handling the
Steve S. case. So much that I went and emailed Rush Limbaugh to tell him I don't like the way he protrays us transwomen. Told him the correct terminology for discribing SRS, not the made up words he as been using. You know I don't think he has the balls to respond to my email on the air. Si is just in it for the ratings like everything else is in media today.

Joy Carter
03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Mary Black should be fired for discrimination. She is just afraid of anything out of the ordinary, maybe she's afraid he will be more of a woman than her!

Alace, the thing about the discrimination laws is that they are discriminating. You have to be this or that to be discriminated against. The rest be damed.:Angry3:

Siobhan Marie
03-06-2007, 12:16 PM

I totally agree. Fire Mary Black and reinstate Stanton.

Just Plain Kay
03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I got fed up with the way the media the way it's been handling the Steve S. case. So much that I went and emailed Rush Limbaugh to tell him I don't like the way he protrays us transwomen. Told him the correct terminology for discribing SRS, not the made up words he as been using.

I did the same thing to Ann Coulter a few months ago.

They couldn't care less, but it made me feel better.

Brianna Lovely
03-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Since many girls have been following this story, I'm posting the latest news item.

350 rally to protest city manager's ouster
The Largo official, fired last week over plans for a sex change, says the support is overwhelming.
By EILEEN SCHULTE
Published March 7, 2007

LARGO - They stood 350 strong in the grass outside City Hall on Tuesday morning, united by faith.

They held signs, saying "Justice," "Compassion" and "Love," as well as these:

Some Baptists need their hearts examined.

Jesus wasn't the Terminator.'

We don't tolerate diversity, we celebrate it!

They were there to support Steve Stanton, who was fired from his job as city manager by the City Commission after disclosing that he is going to undergo gender-reassignment surgery.

The 30-minute rally drew more than a dozen clerics from churches and synagogues around the Tampa Bay area.

"We believe that Mr. Stanton is a human being worthy of being treated with respect, compassion and dignity," said the Rev. Abhi Janamanchi, pastor of Unitarian Universalists of Clearwater.

"We likewise urge the citizens of Largo to hold their elected leaders to a high standard of justice and compassion in human relations. Therefore, we ask the city of Largo to hold true its self-articulated vision of being a City of Progress."

Stanton, 48, became the center of Largo's biggest controversy in years after disclosing on Feb. 21 that he plans to have a sex-change operation and begin going by the name Susan.

On Feb. 27, the City Commission voted 5-2 to put Stanton on administrative leave in preparation for dismissing him.

Stanton said he may appeal that vote by requesting a public hearing before the commission. He has until the close of business Thursday to make that request.

Stanton did not attend the demonstration but said, "It's overwhelming."

"City managers typically don't see this side of the community," he said.

Before the move to dismiss him, "a process that was hijacked by the wrong people" at the wrong time "claiming God's authority," Stanton said, the city's e-mail system was so clogged with letters of opposition that it shut down.

But after he was fired, in what Stanton described as a paradox, strangers started sending flowers and stopping by his house and dropping off food.

Organized by Unitarian Universalists and Unity Church of Clearwater, the event drew pastors and congregation members from more than a dozen local churches and synagogues.

Police monitored the demonstration, which drew one or two protesters, but made no arrests.

One counterprotester was John Junstrom, 50, who said the commission's decision to fire Stanton was "God ordained."

The only city commissioner to show up to watch the protest was Rodney Woods, who voted with Mayor Pat Gerard against firing Stanton.

"I'm glad people have the courage to stand here for what they believe," Woods said.

Times staff writer Lorri Helfand contributed to this report. Eileen Schulte can be reached at 727 445-4153 or schulte@sptimes.com.

[Last modified March 7, 2007, 06:10:19]

AmberTG
03-07-2007, 11:14 PM
They were talking about this case on CNN tonight, it was quite interesting.

KewTnCurvy GG
03-07-2007, 11:38 PM
If Steve can hang in there she will end up being the richest woman to have left their bureaucracy.
This will be a costly lesson for the "City of Progress".
Yes, that is their motto, the "City of Progress"
She will have as they say, the last laugh.
Fret not!
Kew

ChristineRenee
03-08-2007, 07:02 AM
I agree Kew. With this going national, and all of the support that is coming out for her, Largo is gonna wish that they never did this. It is so gratifying to see our community and others with the outpouring of support for her. This country is gonna get an eye opening culture shock I believe when it sees just how large and vocal our community really is...and not just in this country either, but worldwide. :thumbsup:

Marcie Sexton
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
over load their computers....perhaps we shoud bury them with our complaints and show them our community is united...although I know it won't happen...

marie354
03-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I wonder how many lawers have contacted her over this. I'll bet a lot of them would like a "piece of the action." Love to see them in front of "Judge Judy."

Siobhan Marie
03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
If Steve can hang in there she will end up being the richest woman to have left their bureaucracy.
This will be a costly lesson for the "City of Progress".
Yes, that is their motto, the "City of Progress"
She will have as they say, the last laugh.
Fret not!

I so agree with both Kew and Christine as this is will surely come back and bite them and bite them hard.

ChristineRenee
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I wonder how many lawers have contacted her over this. I'll bet a lot of them would like a "piece of the action." Love to see them in front of "Judge Judy."A woman lawyer from a Lesbian group has picked up her case Marie. I really do hope that she goes through with a lawsuit and she wins. :thumbsup:

Donna O
03-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Wean I was looking for a lawer to take my case agsit Winn Dixie , I contacted 25 local lawers and 30 natianil ones all said two things " You have no case and no money to pay or get if you win". I finanly got the A.C.L.U. what a night mare that turned in to. They only goal was raise as much money for GAY ONLY cases. They chose a do nothing failur to handle the case. The BIGGEST mistake we can make is to thing that gays and lezs. will help us.

CaptLex
03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I finanly got the A.C.L.U. what a night mare that turned in to. They only goal was raise as much money for GAY ONLY cases. They chose a do nothing failur to handle the case. The BIGGEST mistake we can make is to thing that gays and lezs. will help us.
Now, now . . . that's not fair. We can't blame all gays and lesbians because some are as uneducated about trans issues as some hetero non-trans people. I don't know when your case was, but the ACLU is currently handling some trans cases - I know because a (trans) friend of mine works there and is involved in these.

terrinoble
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't buy the excuses of the commissioners who voted against Stanton. Clearly they voted as they did either under pressure from the fundies, out of their own prejudices, or to seize an opportunity to advance their own careers.

Those who said "he should have told us, not kept it a secret"... he was going to tell you! But the St. Pete Times decided to jump the gun.

The National Center for Lesbian Rights is assisting Stanton. They are known for getting things done and will be invaluable to him. (I realize I am using male pronouns in referring to Stanton, but he has not officially transitioned or changed his name, and has still presented as male while on city business.)

I sincerely hope that the commissioners come to their senses, put their petty prejudices aside, and keep Stanton on.

And Donna: as I mentioned in another thread, I boycotted Winn-Dixie after I heard about how you were unjustly fired because you were a crossdresser. I have not set foot in a WD since. They've had financial problems and closed many stores, and I've not shed any tears over it.
But I would not sell short the gays and lesbians. The first family member I came out to was my cousin, a lesbian and someone I'd trust with my life. I've made several online friends at the Technodyke forums.