PDA

View Full Version : Easy to recognise?

fionasboots
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm spending quite a bit of time practicing make-up, hair, and jewelery in an attempt to try and look as convincing as possible. While I think I'm making progress and get a few good pictures where I'm really quite impressed, I know that I'm looking at these through rather optimistic and slightly deluded eyes.

In my more realistic moments I am quite happy to accept that, while I may have got things right and have actually achieved quite a good effect, I'm still not going to pass for long (about 0.5seconds I guess).

This is something to just deal with.

What I have started to wonder about is not how close to looking passable I can get but how far away from looking like the male me I can get. Essentially, looking only marginally passable and still going out just takes courage, going out and still looking too much like myself verges on the ridiculous!

So really, how recognisable do you think CDs are with normal amounts of makeup, i.e. the amount that a GG may wear, and reasonable hair (wig obviously)?

The second part of the question is this: take away the wig leaving just natural, and relatively short, hair in a different style - e.g. in guy mode my hair is usually combed back and quite wavy/curly. What about a straighter style, more fringe etc.

The reason for asking the second part is that (as I mentioned in a previous post ages ago) my hair does get long enough to be messy but also could be styled differently to not look much like my male-mode hair.

Any thoughts appreciated.

tifftg
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
We look so dramatically different when made up and wig enhanced. As long as there is not typical context to connect your femme side with your drab side. Now out with a wife or regular significant other-no one will be likely to connect the two. Go have a fun femme time.

tiffany

Karren H
03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Well photos are one thing and for me I'm too critical of my photos... Looking back it wasn't as bad as I thought...

As far a being recoignized.... It isn't looks that will give you a way it attitude!!! I'd say 90% attitude, 10% looks.. Just go to the mall!! You see all kinds of women there and they all have that womanly attitude!! Like they belong there!!! And some of them look more namly than I do!! Lol

So if you have a positive attitude, act like you own the place... smile... Behave like a woman, then no one will give you a second coloser look... Go in with anything less and you will be scrutinized to death!! Or at least until you run like hell!! Hehe

Love Karren

marie354
03-01-2007, 05:37 PM
There is a place on the 'net... http://www.femmefever.com/before.html
that shows some remarkable differances in the before & after of some CD/TS individuals.

Brianna Lovely
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
What I have started to wonder about is not how close to looking passable I can get but how far away from looking like the male me I can get. Essentially, looking only marginally passable and still going out just takes courage, going out and still looking too much like myself verges on the ridiculous!

I've thought about this too. And have decided to do the best I can, with what I have to work with. Sometimes I look in the mirror and say "I look like me, with makeup on", then other times (doing the same makeup) I see a lovely womasn. So, I quickly turn away from the mirror and run out the door, before that image fades, giggle.

Also, being honest, I'm one of "terrible" CDers, who's transgener, so I put on a skirt, top, some lipstick, grab my purse and go out, being no one but myself.

The second part of the question is this: take away the wig leaving just natural, and relatively short, hair in a different style - e.g. in guy mode my hair is usually combed back and quite wavy/curly. What about a straighter style, more fringe etc.

The reason for asking the second part is that (as I mentioned in a previous post ages ago) my hair does get long enough to be messy but also could be styled differently to not look much like my male-mode hair.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm sort of on the fence about this one. Being a mature lady and living in Florida, I've got some gray hair and I keep it buzz cut, to stay cool. However, I've been thinking of asking the stylist at the local salon, if he thinks I should let my hair grow. I don't have an even hair line in the front and have had a very high forehead, all my life, so I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, for me.

But, if you're young enough, have a straight hairline and think you can grow it long enough, to switch styles, I'd go for it, if I were you.

Marla S
03-01-2007, 06:24 PM
So really, how recognisable do you think CDs are with normal amounts of makeup, i.e. the amount that a GG may wear, and reasonable hair (wig obviously)?
That depends at least on two things
1.) Personal physical features.
Some of us don't have to do that much to look passable, because they are not that tall, have smooth uniform facial features, a more feminine figure, etc.
Others probably can do what they want and won't come close to that look, because the just don't have the physical features.
Going through some pics here, comparing myself and GGs, I realized that male chest proportions are very perfidious (it's not only broad shoulders). Something you can do nothing about except becoming overwighted, which often results in a male bear belly.

2.) The closer and the longer you interact with people the more it is likely that you will be read. Even most post op TSs will be "read" sooner or later.
A lot of us might pass walking down a street, only a small minority will pass paying the bill in the coffee shop.

Same answer like above. The less prominent (stereotypical) feminine features you show the less likely it is that you pass, depends on your features though.
Problem with "overdressing" (stereotypical feminine) is that you might become an eye-catcher. People will have a closer look, and a closer look means a better chance to be read.

In general it is the best to assume that one will be read anyway IMO, and act accordingly, because that is what most likely will happen.

suchacutie
03-01-2007, 06:49 PM
The more I read here and the more I experience, I am convinced that the issue is what I keep calling (and others have too) "female signals". Put bluntly, the fewer male signals we give off and the more female signals we emit the more we will pass. As Karen keeps reminding us, a lot of those signals are governed by attitude. Being confident in you walk, voice, mannerisms, and language idiocyncracies go a long way. Obviously hiding those biceps, broad shoulders, and the male parts are important, along with the appropriate signals for nails and makeup and jewelry and an important base, but it's not those that usually shout "male". "Male" is not knowing how, or forgetting to act like a female would in whatever situation. If in your mind you are a woman, and fall into that role with all your faculties, it seems very likely that you will be accepted as the woman you are projecting. Of course this assumes no 5 o'clock shadow etc! :)....

It's the signals. Leave the male signals home, take a girlfriend along and act like she is acting! I can't imagine at that point that anyone will have the nerve to question it!

tina