PDA

View Full Version : Grey's Anatomy - GRS for Tgirl on Show

loriannetucson
03-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Okay, I just finished watching Grey's Anatomy for the first time tonight. Hey, don't hate me, I reserve my limited tv time for a few shows, I know this show is #1 right now! Well, it just so turned out that one of the doctors performed GRS (SRS) on a transgendered male to female girl. It turned out that the doctors found out that they would not be able to perform the surgery because the estrogen was causing cancer to her body (or was it a tumor, my son was throwing a tantrum during the explanation!). She decided that she wanted the surgery anyway, and eventually the doctor performed the operation near the end of the show.

I thought the piece portrayed the inner struggle of transgendered people very well. She would rather fight the cancer as a woman than live the rest of her life as a man. It also offered the struggle her wife was facing as she watched her husband become a woman. She ran away before the operation, but in the end she returned to her post op "husband" because she just couldn't leave her best friend, which ultimately was the bond that kept them together. Very sweet. My emotions were definitely feeling it. I only hoped my wife will be able to come to that same conclusion that I am her lover and best friend.

Lori Anne

Katrina
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I liked that episode. It did bother me that they portrayed the hormones as being an instant thing - something that will cause her beard to grow back and breasts to shrink...