PDA

View Full Version : hanna hall, GG

hanna hall
02-08-2005, 01:38 AM
First of all I would like to say that I am overwhelmed by all of your responses, thank you all. There has been a major lack of communication, and for that I am very sorry, and now I will attempt to explain.

The first place to start is how and why my classmates and I want to do a documentary on CDs. We began in a group of three, and we set out to find a subject that made us feel passionate, something that was worth making a film about because no matter what way you look at it, film is THE MOST INFLUENTIAL MEDIUM IN THE WORLD, and if you are not showing something that will change people's perspective on life, you have no right to be making film. Cross dressing was something I knew relatively little about, I have a very good friend who is a drag queen, and the more I thought about it the more I realized that it was different. Cross dressers are people who hardly anyone knows about. Why has this group of people been so marginalized? Underneath any mask or persona, we are all just human. I want to show people who aren't willing to take it seriously, people who won't accept what it really is, because if they never know what it really is then acceptance will never be in their realm of understanding. I can't do this by myself; I need people who are willing to share their experience on film. Gender roles are so restricting in this society and I want to tweak peoples' paradigm, I want to make them question why they believe what they believe, not just accept it. Film is a medium that allows people to understand new ways of thinking. I am offering the power of voice, and if you want it here it is.

This is just a 10 min. doc being done in a film school with certain restrictions on time and place, and I am hoping to hook peoples' interest in the subject, so they can either find out more for themselves. If it is really powerful I can get funding for a larger scale production, post-film school. In the back of my mind I knew what a powerful subject this could be, but you all have solidified it beautifully. And for that, thank you. You have provided the passion that I have been looking for. Unfortunately, for now I must find people to interview in the Vancouver area, but maybe in the future I can open it up for more CD's to have a voice. And I think you are right, you should make your own documentaries, like I said film is the most powerful medium in the world.

ps. If you would like to verify that this is all legit you can contact VFS, but because of privacy policy all they can tell you is that a documentary on cross-dressing is in production right now.
Thank you all for replying,
Hanna Hall

Sweet Susan
02-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the explanation. We Washington based transgendered beauty queens recognized your area, and we know that you speak with an honest tongue. However, are you an 'ay, Vancouverite, or a hey, Vancouverite?

Jen_TGCD
02-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Just a suggestion, Hanna!

Maybe you should concentrate more on "Gender" as opposed to Crossdressing. With a ten minute window... it may be easier to make a statement on "Gender Diversity".

Glad you are "for real" and good luck! http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Holly
02-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Hanna,

Thank you for trying to clarify the intent of your project. I'm sure that you have noticed that there is a degree of skepticism concerning what you are attempting to do. Although you and your classmates may have the best of intentions, I myself have serious reservations that a 10 minutes documentary on crossdressing could have any appreciable impact on the plight we girls face everyday. Ten minutes wouldn't even provide adequate resources to define the issues. What would be the possibility of a project that would be able to deliver more substance? Could different groups of students cover different aspects of crossdressing and combine their efforts into a finished project? Are there funding sources that would permit financing a more detailed documentary? Would you be willing to collabrate with CDers and extend editorial authority to them?

Hanna, we do have a story. And you may, in fact, be the one to tell it. But I don't think you have a full understanding of the scope of this project. If you can convience this community that you have the drive, the resources, and the sensitivity to deal with this topic, your could very well produce a work that could not only change the lives of a lot of TV/TG/TS girls, but also enlighten society to an enormus injustice being perpetrated upon a sizable portion of the populace.

You have my best wishes. I hope that I haven't discouraged you. My intent is to inspire you to reach beyond and increase the scope of your vision. I hope that you will find us to be a valuable resource once you have secured our trust.

Helana
02-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Hi Hanna

I have to agree with the others, crossdressing is a very complex and emotional subject which touches the lives of millions. It goes way, way beyond drag queens and cannot be covered in 10 minutes unless you focussed on just one particular family and interviewed the CDer and his SO to discuss the impact on their relationship. But even that would be only scratch the surface because there is a vast diversity within the crossdressing community and many reactions and viewpoints. I would recommend that you narrow your focus to a specific issue about crossdressing.

BTW, drag queens are not typical examples of crossdressers.

Allie
02-08-2005, 06:15 AM
wow this is cool. its about time someone made something on this issue! cool. oh, if you mean Vancouver Wa, id be a willing praticipant to be interviewed (im only 18 as well, so i fit in the age group).
Allie

hanna hall
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Helana, I just want to say that I don't think that drag queens are examples of crossdressers, if you read my post, the fact that I did realize that there is difference was because of a drag queen, not that I think they are the same thing

hanna hall
02-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the interest Allie, but it is Vancouver BC

Stephanie Brooks
02-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I'll posit that the right 10 minutes can be good!

I've lead research projects that are marvelously complex and intricate, with neat geeky technologies. One challenge was that the people I briefed were senior level managers who had neither the time nor the interest in knowing everything about the projects. They needed the project explained concisely. Being able to do so in invaluable! It also means you get money to continue. ;)

Point is, if Hanna has 10 minutes, she can't possibly cover everything regarding CDs. She can however choose a message she wants to convey, and then do that. 10 minutes can be alot of time.

I'll take 10 minutes that people might actually watch versus 100 that no one will ever see. I'd say Go For It!

DonnaT
02-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I agree with Jen.

In 10 minutes, I don't know how you could possibly convey what crossdressing is about.

Maybe if you focused on gender identity, and what being transgendered is all about, you might be able to open some eyes. Note that the term transgendered is an umbrella term that includes crossdressers and transexuals.

Problem is not all crossdressers are transgendered.

Regarding being transgendered, recent research has been conducted at UCLA. Dr. Eric Vilain has been researching human genetics and how they affect pre-natal development prior to hormones. He and his team have discovered 54 genes that link to gender. Prior to this discovery, it was believed that hormones did everything in distinguishing the body between males and females. However, these genes are activated before the SRY gene switches on. That's the gene responsible for the testosterone hormone wash in the Y chromosome.

Of the 54 genes, 18 were produced at higher levels in the male, and 36 were produced at higher levels in the female. This research could help to determine where transgender comes from. It may have everything to do with why transsexuals report feeling that they were born in the wrong body.

See also http://www.docbushong.com/pubs/what_is_gender.asp

That said, however, I would like to know what you have in mind. Maybe a little outline of how you plan to proceed?

paulaN
02-08-2005, 05:37 PM
I wish you well. I am still skeptical. ten min. is a very short time for a film on crossdressers. facts and numbers would take up that much time, but that would be a start, it would also be helpful to our comunity, anything short of that would set us back so far. so we are watching with a microscope.

KewTnCurvy GG
02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Noooo! You're wrong grrlz! Length can impart comprehensiveness but not always. I like/love short stories and short films. Sometimes one can say volumes with the right words and focus. So, I don't agree that it has to be long to get a 'good' solid message across. A Haiku can be as profound and as enlightening as War and Peace.

Examples:

Favourite Short Story (okay, one of them anyway)
http://www.geocities.com/lneefe/omelas_intro.htm

Short Documentaries
http://www.der.org/

This site has a contest for making the best 5 SECOND film; how's that for brevity?
http://www.cadillacunder5.com/presentation/siteindex.html?pl_code=MGMC9MWC14409P441383B441382 S0&cp_keyword=135237

Anyhooo, will be interesting to see what happens. Hanna will you make your film available to those on the site here?

hugs
kew

Katiegirl
02-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Good Luck with your Project Hanna

I must agree you will have a very difficult time in 10 mins to cover the crossdressing scene as it covers a very wide spectrum. I expect you have read a number of threads on this site which much give you an idea on how varied us "girls" are.

Let the group know if you do go ahead with it

:)

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Lifeis a Bitch