PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Girls

Helana
02-08-2005, 04:07 AM
I thought I would try waxing my legs so I bought Veet wax strips. I followed the instructions and pulled the strips quickly backwards as described. I felt a sharp pain but when I checked all the hairs were still there! :mad:

Anyone got an idea what I am doing wrong? Does waxing work better on longer hairs - I was working on 3 day stubble about 2 mm. Is this too short? Are these Veet wax strips any good?

Any suggestions most welcome :)

Alayna
02-08-2005, 04:12 AM
yeah, you should wait until the hair is at least twice that long. I've used the Veet strips before and they're about as good as any other. The wax is a little thick though and they tend to get messier - I like the Sally Hansen strips personally, but I usually use a rotary epilator. One note, make sure you warm up the strips (any brand) real well with your hands before you pull them apart.
hope that helps

spaskinstyle
02-08-2005, 04:17 AM
Hello Love:

I really feel for you sweetie, I personally have tried those at home waxing kits over the years with the same negative results. There are two things working against you here, let me explain. When you go to the salon to get waxed - they use a real nice rich bees type wax - the real deal when it comes to wax. It grabs hold of the hair and doesn't let go. Generally the wax products that you purchase over the counter are not made from the same type of wax. These are normally made from sugar based waxes and they are not as effective at all. Secondly dear, you hit the nail right on the head when you mentioned the length of your hair. The one downfall with waxing is that you need to have a bit of growth there for the wax to hold on to. If you are using a poor wax to begin with, short hair is not going to move. If going to the salon to get yourself done is out of the question then why don't we see if we can get you some of the real wax - the bees wax that will do the job correctly. I'm sure there are ladies here that have access to beauty supply stores and the like and I would help of course. I really think that is your best bet. Best not to torture yourself with those products that really are inneffective overall. Love to you and yours, Theresa

Tristen Cox
02-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Helana, I use those exact same strips. You have to have 4mm or more of stubs to remove(see the instructions carefully). I will repeat what they say. Clean the skin free of oils then apply in the 'direction of hair growth', and hold pressure evenly for ten to twenty seconds. Then, while holding the skin tight from moving, pull in the opposite direction from the hair growth(against the direction of growth). Do not pull up! Pull back along the strip as close as you can in reverse from the way you applied it. If you pull up it doesn't work. You should get two or three uses out of each strip but do not get them wet at all or they become uneffective. This will last for about three to four days on legs or arms once the hair has been removed. To clean off the excess wax simply wash with a damp cloth warm water preferably. I use these for my arms and (though it's time consuming) it works great. Remember to carefully read the instructions, all of them. You will see what I mean. Let me know if you need any further help ;)

Love
Tristen

Sandra H
02-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Hi Helana.

I have never tried waxing; I don’t think I could stand the pain. I have a sticking plaster on my finger since I was 9 and I am too afraid to take it off LOL.

But since wax is manly for GG’s I would think it should work on short stubble, as no GG would want to wait until her hairs grow an inch or two before removing it. :eek:

Oh the thought of women having thick hairy legs yuck. For a moment I almost turned gay, but thankfully it’s gone now. :D

Sorry I can not be more of a help, the best of luck.

Rikki
02-08-2005, 04:31 AM
I have never waxed and was just asking my SO about it and she has never done it either. It has been years since I have even shaved, I am going to try waxing as soon as I can find my nerve that keeps leaveing me, I thought that I would start with duck tape, that useally grabs the hair when I get mixed up with it. No, probably not a good idea. :eek:

Rikki

Tristen Cox
02-08-2005, 04:58 AM
Duct tape!?!?! You really do like pain don't you? Oh good... cause waxing yourself is going to hurt more than that believe mehttp://www.geocities.com/tristencx/icons/confused68.gif

Helana
02-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Thanks girls. I was following the instructions carefully - it says that 2mm is ok but I think not! I will wait a few more days then try again, hopefully with better results. Maybe my hair is just too damn strong. :mad: If not then back to shaving before my girlfriend gets all snotty about my stubble! :)

Alayna
02-08-2005, 05:25 AM
throw that razor away! Stick with it and the hair will get easier to wax and will be finer - it's worth the sacrifice at first

sarahhotchick
02-08-2005, 05:42 AM
well i find it easier, just to go and get waxed saves all the messing around. :D

and shave if need be the wax stips are too messy for a girl :D

well thats me i guess fussy as. lol

love it
sarah

christine55
02-08-2005, 05:51 AM
I tried going a few days earlier to let my hair grow out to wax but just could not get dressed withall that stubble. It is so noticeable that I just dont feel feminine with that much stubble. One mm is bad enough two mm in terrible.
Hugs, Christine. (ps, I'm still around)

DanaJ
02-08-2005, 05:59 AM
Ouch - but worth it!

DanaJ

Sharon
02-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I tried going a few days earlier to let my hair grow out to wax but just could not get dressed withall that stubble. It is so noticeable that I just dont feel feminine with that much stubble. One mm is bad enough two mm in terrible.
Hugs, Christine. (ps, I'm still around)

My sentiments exactly!!

Jen_TGCD
02-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I've waxed twice now and I'm still not sure if I like the result, or not.

My question...

Has anyone ever used the Emjoi Gold epilator???

Alayna
02-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I use the Braun episilk (the yellow one) which is similar. Honestly they're really painful and I've had a hell of a time getting it to work right. All it would work on was my lower legs- it would just break the hairs off everywhere else. I finally got it to work right but only after I went completely against the directions and started going with the direction of the hair instead of against it. Now it works great! Silky smooth for weeks in some places:cool:

Jen_TGCD
02-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Alayna...

I'll check into it. The waxing didn't hurt nearly as much as I was expecting so I think I can handle an epilator. (I think!!!) :o

Alayna
02-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Be careful! The pain is totally different. With waxing you're pulling out a bunch of hair and yanking up the skin a little bit too - that's why it stings. An epilator doesn't do anything to the skin, but it yanks out the hairs one by one. Imagine plucking your leg hair with 20 individual tweezers on a drum spinning really really fast. It's not so bad in some areas, but others hurt like crazy, especially if the hair is too long and it tries to pull out a bunch at once. It's like the difference between someone pulling out a single hair on your head vs. dragging you down the street by your hair:rolleyes:

The instructions don't lie though, the first time is the worst. After that if you keep at it you get pretty desensitized to it and it gets relatively painless. All things considered I think they're totally worth it.

danielle_bc
02-09-2005, 03:47 AM
I thought I would try waxing my legs so I bought Veet wax strips. I followed the instructions and pulled the strips quickly backwards as described. I felt a sharp pain but when I checked all the hairs were still there! :mad:

Anyone got an idea what I am doing wrong? Does waxing work better on longer hairs - I was working on 3 day stubble about 2 mm. Is this too short? Are these Veet wax strips any good?

Any suggestions most welcome :)

Well Helena,
As most have already stated, your hair was way too short, 1/4" is prefferred for proper removal. Always make sure your have washed properly and that the area to be treated is dry and oil free. I have been waxing and depending on the area being waxed, can be somewhat painful but I believe the benefits of smoother longer are worth it. If you have continued concerns, make an appointment and get it done proffessionaly and take notes. Good luck with it and you will get better at it or just shave. :D

Helana
02-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Well I did my shin last night - the hair is now 5mm long. I guess I got about 50% of the hairs in the first try and then re-applied and got another 50%, however that still left a fair number of hairs in place. No matter how often I applied wax strips some hairs refused to budge. I gave up and got out my epilator and took care of the stragglers. Is this typical in waxing?

Alayna
02-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Yep, you'll always have stragglers when you wax. The hair grows in a cycle and different hairs are in different phases of it so they can be harder to pull out. It'll get better as time goes on though - just tweeze the extras for now and eventually it'll get easier and more effective as the hair gets finer

spaskinstyle
02-10-2005, 03:28 AM
Helana Hon,

Make an appointment. Why torture yourself. I don't think that is typical waxing at all. I know it is not typical for me. I go in, they slather it on and whoosh it's gone. Hurts like hell, but you get used to it, and as I stated earlier with the good wax you don't have to go in looking like a fuzzy bear either. Just treat yourself - I'm sure you deserve it.

Theresa