PDA

View Full Version : More info on how many we are

Satrana
03-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I came across more statistics about that ever popular question about how many crossdressers there are. These surveys are not new but I cannot recall seeing them before so here they are:

1) 'The 'Woman' Report on Men' was a survey of 5,000 men carried out on behalf of the women's magazine in 1986 and published by Sphere in 1987. In the survey a quarter stated they had cross-dressed of whom 8% reported regular cross-dressing.

2) In 1999 'Elle' reported that a lingerie manufacturer had surveyed its purchasers who in turn had reported that around 1 in 6 of their partners wore their underwear.

3) The 'Mail on Sunday' report 'Sex in the Nineties' reported that 6% of men surveyed (and 4% of women!) cross-dressed. Some were presumably homosexual partners rather than cross-dressers (most of whom seem to be heterosexual). This assumption presumably also applies to the 'Elle' report.

4) The only recent survey of Cross-dressers in the UK that I am aware of is by Dr. Vernon Coleman who for years has provided a tabloid health column and also telephone help lines which he reports are used by 500,000 people every year. By comparing the use of his cross-dresser line to that for high blood pressure sufferers (where the incidence of the problem is known) he computes that up to 10% of men cross-dress.

The conclusion from these pieces of information is that a significant minority of men cross-dress, possibly as high as 8-10%.
www.gender.org.uk/gendys/2005/29horton.htm
Looks to me that 10% of the male population is a safe bet.

racquel
03-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Interesting.On this forum it's 100%:devil:

Paulacder
03-07-2007, 06:46 AM
In 1999 'Elle' reported that a lingerie manufacturer had surveyed its purchasers who in turn had reported that around 1 in 6 of their partners wore their underwear.

Very interesting, does this mean that a person who has a panty fetish is a crossdresser? I doubt it. So much for surveys........

Girlieboy
03-07-2007, 07:51 AM
When I started out in the fifties there were just as many crossdressers as there are today - except of course that a disgusting vulgar term was used to describe all those from grey areas - not just CDs. Of course, we must all remember that, in those days, such things were hidden: there was no openness as we know today. Thank goodness we have moved on from then!

Yes, our genre was well represented all those years ago. Trust me - I was there too!

Diane

XX

Phyliss
03-07-2007, 08:01 AM
8% to 10% sounds like a logical number. In any given segment of society, when looking for a particular group of people, the amount of 10% is a very common quantity.
1. Checking those people who regularly drive to and from work 10% read the paper while driving.
2. Looking at a group of "office workers" 10% play the weekly "office pool"
3. Taking a survey of "middle income" persons and you can find 10% of them are "complusive gamblers"

So, figuring that 10% is a common number in any grouping, it isn't a surprising finding in that survey.

Now, if I'm a manufacturer, and I know that 10% of my customer base are Crossdressers, that can be a significant amount of potential income for me, if I make sure to accomodate their needs, without upsetting the other 90%.
Case on point, Lane Bryant, we all know that they "know" but L.B. doesn't make a big deal of it. Thereby they have the best of both worlds.

Brianna Lovely
03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
10% of the USA population are CDs.

That's 30,000,000 people, a rather serious number.

Casey Morgan
03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
3) The 'Mail on Sunday' report 'Sex in the Nineties' reported that 6% of men surveyed (and 4% of women!) cross-dressed. Some were presumably homosexual partners rather than cross-dressers (most of whom seem to be heterosexual). This assumption presumably also applies to the 'Elle' report.

Huh? Tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means.

Yeah, "1 in 10" does seem to be pretty common, doesn't it? That puts us in some good company.

Phyliss
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
10% of the USA population are CDs.

That's 30,000,000 people, a rather serious number.

I will admit to "painting with a broad brush" when I commented about the 10% figure. That would include anyone who "occasionally" wears a pair of panties to the person who totally and completely dresses everyday.

So, yeah I guess that the number 30,000,000 isn't that far fetched, when you consider , we're only speaking of men here, so then the number is cut in half, (approximatly) 15,000,000. That makes 5% of the U.S. population. Still a rather sizeable purcha$ing segment.

Brianna Lovely
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I will admit to "painting with a broad brush" when I commented about the 10% figure. That would include anyone who "occasionally" wears a pair of panties to the person who totally and completely dresses everyday.

So, yeah I guess that the number 30,000,000 isn't that far fetched, when you consider , we're only speaking of men here, so then the number is cut in half, (approximatly) 15,000,000. That makes 5% of the U.S. population. Still a rather sizeable purcha$ing segment.

Oh, I so like to play with statisical numbers................

Let's see, 10% Black, 10% Gay, 10% CD, 50% Female.

Oh my, 80% of the population is discriminated against!!

Eugenie
03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I think that these kind of statistics don't inform us very much about who is X-dressing in the population.

Running surveys in general is a rather complex endeavor. Running a survey on any subject that is concerning private life is even more of a challenge...

There always is the difficulty of defining the subject. To avoid launching here again the debate on who is a x-dresser, let's take the example of drinking habits: making a survey to estimate how many people have a drinking problem calls for defining when there is a drinking problem, or at least to find a measure of the drinking problem level...

Any survey that fails to define the object of its analysis is doomed to be a waste of resource: time and money.

Then on sensitive matters like private life subjects there is the way in which the questions are asked... Specifically if the topic is perceived with a negative connotation in the public or just if the respondents think it is perceived with a negative connotation. The sincerity of the answers will depend on the belief that answers will be kept confidential at an individual level. In addition and quite unconsciously, respondents will tend to provide answers that they feel will be more positively received. These people aren't lying; they just express a deep belief of who they are rather than who they really are.

So back on the CD surveys, they should also start with a definition of the subject, if wearing a woman panty once in a while is considered CDing (and why not) then the percent of CDers will be quite high... Speaking here of MtF X-dressing... Similar comments would apply for FtM, of course.

The sample of people would have to be made as scientifically as possible to avoid biases due to the base population being sampled being specific rather than generic.

Questions should be asked in a way that would make respondents confident that they won't be identifiable.

Questions should be worded in as neutral a form as possible with regard to any judgmental content, even unconscious ones.

If possible, confirmation of a previous answer should be imbedded in other questions down the list.

The result should be presented in "type" and "intensity" of x-dressing rather than saying X% of men X-dress.

There was an older survey that did attempt to do exactly that, but I would have to look in my files.
:hugs:
Eugenie

almalove
03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
So, if about 10% of man are ,do or have crossdress? and I there is about 120 men that I Know or work with, that means that about 12 of then are CDs how do I know who they are , I think the numbers are rigth, and I'm happy about it, but I just dont see them , or maybe they're hidding just like me.

Almalove.

vbcdgrl
03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I think 8 to 10% is a believable number. Frankly, I am all for wider acceptance of CDing by the general public, but don't really want it to become a "fad". I like being a member of a small, unique group.

Vikki

Karren H
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Well there is a scientific way to find out!!! Let's have a show of hands ..... I'll start...... One...................

:D

Love Karren

eleventhdr
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll bet it is higher then that because not everyone has said that they crossdress I know noone has asked me yet but i do crossdress so how many have not said so yet!

That would make it a whole lot more i would think so anyway.

And thee is nothing wrong with crossdressing!

Suzy!

serenity66
03-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh, I so like to play with statisical numbers................

Let's see, 10% Black, 10% Gay, 10% CD, 50% Female.

Oh my, 80% of the population is discriminated against!!

lol, yeah......sad, isnt it? but you also forgot:
10% hispanic
10% asian

so thats everyone discriminated against.......... :sad:

amanda barber
03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
10% is a magic number in statistics when identifying the amount of a biased target. Its out of the single digits, but it mentally percieved as very small. The general populace does not "run the numbers" in their head, so it does not make the connection that 10% of 300 million is 300 thousand.
They see 1 target and 9 norms, thats how ingrained the base-10 decimal numbering system is.

8-12% is concidered an "agressive magic number" while it does skew 2% deeper into the double digits, that 12% is a justifying modifier of the original 8% call. It carries the message that 8% is the statistic, but it could be as high as 12%

Accounting is applied mathmatics, statistics are applied psychology.

Eugenie
03-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry to come back on this. As I said in my post these surveys aren't telling us much.

If one calls a X-dresser anyone who for a minimum wears a woman brief once a year and no maximum being specified, then there may be as many as 50% of X-dressers if not more.

If one uses a more restrictive idea of X-dressing, saying that a X-dresser is someone who uses women clothes as a woman does, frequently and for rather extended periods, then the number may come down to perhaps 1%

But saying, without qualifying what is considered a x-dresser, that 10% of the men are x-dressers, is meaningless.
Eugenie

Kali
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
The general populace does not "run the numbers" in their head, so it does not make the connection that 10% of 300 million is 300 thousand.

Wouldn't that be because it's 30,000,000? :devil:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

amanda barber
03-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Wouldn't that be because it's 30,000,000? :devil:

yup. 300 thousand is much less than 10% of 300 million. but with the # of views after I posted that and before your running the #'s and posting. not many people really get what 10% is when dealling with large #'s. looks like 15 people before you thought 300 thousand was a lot.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
and only 2 kinds when dealing with hexadecimal

MJ
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
well here in canada 2.5 out of 10 guys cross dress thats from the clark ins, so thats a lot of men

ShannonDragon
03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Interesting.On this forum it's 100%:devil:

So all the GGs here are also crossdressers?? :D

Let's compromise and say 98%

:tongueout

amanda barber
03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
well here in canada 2.5 out of 10 guys cross dress thats from the clark ins, so thats a lot of men

that poor 1/2 guy :eek:

amanda barber
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
So all the GGs here are also crossdressers?? :D

:tongueout

If they've ever worn pants.

battybattybats
03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
So now maybe what we need is to get these numbers into the public eye in a positive manner... any ideas?

SandyR
03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Hand raised! Two,,,,,keep counting Girls. Maybe we can start our own, malls, with all the shopping, and indoor parking so if it rains all the time we spent washing the car does not go to waist.

Hugggss

SandyR

susie evans
03-07-2007, 09:35 PM
my hand is up :D

susie

GypsyKaren
03-08-2007, 01:17 AM
A few years ago, I saw a survey somewhere of U.S. hospital emergency room personnel, and they reported that roughly 10% of the male patients who came in that year were wearing women's underwear underneath their clothes.

Karen

sterling12
03-08-2007, 02:03 AM
"A few years ago, I saw a survey somewhere of U.S. hospital emergency room personnel, and they reported that roughly 10% of the male patients who came in that year were wearing women's underwear underneath their clothes.

Karen"

Please see if you can find the survey. That's one survey that I would deem to be highly accurate. Seems like you would have a very good cross-section of general population.

It could be skued if they surveyed only Large City Hospital E.R.s, but I can't imagine that they would "bogus" their own hard work.

Thirty million of us, wouldn't that be incredible! Can you imagine if we had a "CD Out and About Day" every year? Bet that would gain us some political clout. Would make the Million Man March seem like small potatoes!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Satrana
03-08-2007, 06:18 AM
A few years ago, I saw a survey somewhere of U.S. hospital emergency room personnel, and they reported that roughly 10% of the male patients who came in that year were wearing women's underwear underneath their clothes.

Karen

Yup, I was on a cd forum years ago who had a gg who worked in emergency rooms. She was asked about the incidence of men wearing women's undergarments and she answered - lots, several every week, so many that nobody bats an eyelid. When pressed for a percentage she guessed 5%.

Now what percentage of the crossdressing community underdresses? No idea but I will take a stab at 50%, which means we can double her guesstimate and reach that magical 10% again.

There are lots of unscientific surveys which produce numbers in the 10% range which individually cannot be relied upon but when combined together do suggest we are in the right ballpark.

Marcie Sexton
03-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Seen parts of that before, and seeing how that was in the mid 80's, I would be willing to say that number has doubled since then...

...but that is something that "main stream" society doesn't want to know...

T.M.I. at least for them....

trannie T
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
None of these surveys can be accepted as being especially accurate. Sadly there is little scientific interest in crossdressing and hardly a chance for an accurate and scientific study to be conducted. In the meantime we can only guess.
Remember, 50% of us are above average.

battybattybats
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
If there are so many of us out there... then surely one of us must be a socialogist? Anyone want to make this subject a doctoral thesis?

amanda barber
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Remember, 50% of us are above average.

untrue :)

The first law people learn in statitsics and then forget immediately, is "no measure of central tendency without a measure of dispersion."

Eugenie
03-09-2007, 05:33 PM
The result should be presented in "type" and "intensity" of x-dressing rather than saying X% of men X-dress.

There was an older survey that did attempt to do exactly that, but I would have to look in my files.
Eugenie

Following my post (above quote), I did find the website address of that survey... Quite a lot of reading though...
http://cdsecretgarden.femmegetaway.com/body_survey.htm

And this other survey:

http://www.yvonnesplace.net/survey/survey99/survey99_results.htm

Eugenie