PDA

View Full Version : Do You Go to Support Meetings?

jsoto81
03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I've been contemplating going to TG support meetings more regualrly. I've gone to one but other than a doctors business card I didn't get much out of it. This one time it happend to be mostly FtM but that's not a regualr thing. There is a FtM exclusive group here in Orange County but it's only once a month.

Do any of you guys go meetings for support or do you think it's really necessary?

Adam
03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Wish i did but there is not any meetings anywhere near me so i dont

Tristan
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
There's a new group just starting here next week that meets once a month that I"m going to check out.

John
03-08-2007, 08:12 PM
theres an lgbt sociatyie meating at my uni once a week that i go to (juat been in fact). all we do is drink and chat. But mostly drink. :D

CaptLex
03-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I attend trans-masculine support group meetings at the local LGBT center here in NYC. I highly recommend it. The guys there are pretty much like the ones here: supportive, caring, sharing, fun, funny and encouraging. So many of us went there thinking we were all alone in this and were happy to find otherwise. I hope the group in your area is just as helpful. Let us know how it goes. :happy:

ZenFrost
03-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I've never been to any but that's partialy because I don't have that option because of where I live. If you do decide to go, keep us informed on how it turns out. :-)

Kieron Andrew
03-17-2007, 01:05 AM
nope....cos the nearest groups are about 2hrs away.........i know of one in London and one in Taunton....for the british boys here

jsoto81
03-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I found out that at the end of every month, the last sunday actually, there is a FtM only meeting at one of the GLBT centers around here. So I'm gonna try and head to this months meeting, I'm sure I'll get more helpful information from that than from the one in Long beach, cause that was a general Trans meeting.

In other news I have my first therapist session on Wednesday. I'm happy and little nervous to be going. I don't talk about this much with family or friends so to be telling a stranger is a little nerve racking for me. But I know it's for the best in the end.

CaptLex
03-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I found out that at the end of every month, the last sunday actually, there is a FtM only meeting at one of the GLBT centers around here. So I'm gonna try and head to this months meeting, I'm sure I'll get more helpful information from that than from the one in Long beach, cause that was a general Trans meeting.
That's excellent. I'm betting you'd be more comfortable in an FtM-only meeting than in a general trans meeting. Hope it turns out well - let us know.

In other news I have my first therapist session on Wednesday. I'm happy and little nervous to be going. I don't talk about this much with family or friends so to be telling a stranger is a little nerve racking for me. But I know it's for the best in the end.
Oh, I know how you feel. Some people prefer telling their troubles to a stranger, but I'm not comfortable revealing personal stuff to people I don't know well, so I went through the same thing. I refused to go to a therapist for a long time 'cause I couldn't imagine that. Fortunately, I now know lots about my therapist (though not quite as much as he knows about me), so that's not an issue anymore. Good luck.

bi_weird
03-17-2007, 11:10 AM
DUDE congrats on your first therapist session coming up! Yeah it's weird being there, telling your secrets to a stranger...nervous and freeing all at the same time. Hope things go well and do tell us!