PDA

View Full Version : Jumping to Conclusions...

paigestg
03-08-2007, 10:47 PM
My intent is not to make anyone mad, but I just need to vent.

I am a little tired of people automatically (not necessarily here) jumping to the conclusion that because I have questions about my gender identity that I'm depressed. Granted, I probably do need to see a therapist to figure that out - but I don't necessarily think that I'm depressed.

No, I may not be ready to fully embrace my gender identity (whatever that turns out to be), but that's just part of my personality - I'm a very logical person and tend to over analyze situations sometimes (even my own problems). So, I'm not the type to jump head first into anything.

Maybe I am depressed, but I don't feel it. I just don't appreciate the fact that people jump to conclusions before getting all the facts.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Thanks for letting me vent...

azure
03-08-2007, 11:24 PM
you'd know if you were depressed. Having experienced depression, (and really not wanting to go through it again) its a condition which is acutley profound.

Andrea Nicole
03-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Paige,
Definitely get professional help ASAP.
Andi ...

Siobhan Marie
03-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Paige, Definitely get professional help ASAP.

Paige, I agree with Andi on this one hun. Take her advice and take it soon.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

MyGirl&Me GG
03-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I have to weigh in on this one....

Only you know how you feel. IF you think that you have a problem, then you should talk it out with someone. If it is other people, and you know that you are okay, Then tell them that they should mind their own business and that you will seek help when and if you are ready.

I think that 2 of these posts are a little off base. How could you say get help, when you don't know if there is a problem, much less what it is?

I don't mean to be rude, but come on... I worry about my SO sometimes, but we usually talk it out and I realize that I am just being paranoid. Sometimes it's just a "funk" not really true depression.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.
M

Shelly R
03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
you'd know if you were depressed. Having experienced depression, (and really not wanting to go through it again) its a condition which is acutley profound.
You will know when you need help. Depression is an automatic assumption, because we all at one time or another have this problem, and rightfully more than the rest of the world. We seem to have the worst of what the world has to offer. Not one, not the other but stuck in the middle, depression is a given in our community, and the assumption IS that we are depressed. I hate to say this but they are the ones who have it wrong for you. I wish you well on your journey, I hope you discover the real you, no pressure. :hugs:

Jacqui
03-11-2007, 12:27 AM
It is not uncommon for people to express their opinions without realizing the consequences they will have on the intended recipients. And sometimes their opinions are based on being uninformed, ignorant, jealous, or because they get their jollies making people feel small.

I agree that it would be useful to seek a qualified therapist to help with your gender issues, but I stand with MyGirl that some of the responses here are a little premature to say the least.

Just because you're confused doesn't mean that you're depressed. I'm confused most of the time, but I'm also happy more than I'm not.

:love:

Jacqui

btmgrl6
03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
I think that there some very nice and caring people in this forum. maybe they are more concerned than "jumping to conclusions"....i've been around here for a little while, and have witnessed some people that have had some very serious issues with gender identity. I personally consider myself a very logical person,and thought that i could work things out by myself....I eventually tried to work it out with a bottle of vodka and a handful of pills.. I would have cured myself had it not been for a caring friend who saw signs in me that caused them to take an interest in my well being. i am now a firm believer in " an ounce of prevention". what could talking to a professional hurt? How could a logical person argue with that?
As of now I am happier than I have ever been in my whole life. I hope you too will find your way

Steph
it also sounds like you have caring and concerned people elsewhere in your life.

AmberTG
03-11-2007, 02:16 AM
I to am one of those overly logical persons. Gender identity disorder defies any and all attempts at logic, doesn't it? I honestly didnt know I had a real problem with depression, I had always thought that I had attention deficit disorder, it seemed to fit the description of all my behaviors. I was wrong. I had cyclic bouts of depression through most of my adult life, but that seems normal enough, doesn't everybody? Doesn't everybody think about the concept of suicide? Hasn't everybody contemplated it at least once in their life? Again, I was wrong.
I went to a therapist to talk about a bit of depression that I was having at the time due to marriage issues, and to ask about being tested for ADD. I went to a V.A. therapist, at my annual physical last year, the nurse asked me, like they now ask all veterans, "how have you been feeling, any problems with depression or any other things?" "would like to talk to someone about any of these things?" I figured "why not, I can get tested for my ADD, and talk about my little bit of depression, and maybe even have the courage to ask about my weird feelings about wanting to be a girl."
Talk about opening the proverbial floodgates! Turns out, I have almost no symptoms of ADD, and you have to have at least 6 of the signs before they'll even bother to actually test you. What I had was almost all of the classic signs of clinical depression, something I've probably had most, if not all, my adult life, as I look back on it now. I was prescribed a small dose of a newer anti-depressant at that time, the therapist had to talk me into trying it.
I am now a MUCH happier person, in general. I used to be hard to live with, now I'm pretty easy going, things don't rile me up the way they used to. I have come to terms with my GID, for the most part, because I can now think about it without being disgusted with myself for being that way, now I know what it is.
Paigestd, I'm not saying that you're depressed or anything like that, that is just my story. If you feel that you'd like to talk to a therapist about your gender issues to try to sort them out, then you probably should, it could help you. It's always helpful to talk to a professional listener who knows the right questions to ask to help you sort through the issues. It also helps to keep a journal of your thoughts, they're usually easier to figure out when they're on paper where you won't forget them 5 minutes later.
I hope you're able to sort out your thoughts to some satisfaction.
Amber