PDA

View Full Version : Binders, binders, binders

false_dichotomy
03-09-2007, 02:12 AM
For the past year and a half, I've been using Title 9's frog bras to bind, but they were obviously not meant to be worn on a daily basis. By that I mean my ribs are kinda screwed up now... you can see it when you look at my torso, some of the ribs stick out funny and some are sort of sunken-in. This is obviously a problem, and so I'm looking to make sure I don't get another binding device that messes with my ribs even worse.

That said, I'm looking at some of the Underworks (http://ftm.underworks.com/) ones. Particularly the tri-top or the double front compression shirt. Does anyone have experience with either (better yet, both) of these? If so, how are your ribs looking? Is it comfortable to wear all day every day? Can anyone make a comparison between the two? I'm trying to get some practical information about how they wear before I make a decision which to buy, so if anyone can help that'd be great.

-Neil

Adam
03-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Yes i have used underworks everyday all day for a year and 4 months there fine comftable and work well i have the tri top and the dubble front vest i prefer the vest but both work ok :D

my ribs are fine

John
03-09-2007, 06:40 AM
I've never worn a profesionaly made binder, but I have several home-made contraptions that work pretty good (and have bean wereing them prety much full time for the past three months) that don't leave any lasting effect (so far). They're a much cheep alternitive if you want instuctions or anything, but they take a wile to make.

hmm, have read that back and realised it's not going to be very helpfull. Oh well.

Tristan
03-09-2007, 08:17 AM
For the past year and a half, I've been using Title 9's frog bras to bind, but they were obviously not meant to be worn on a daily basis. By that I mean my ribs are kinda screwed up now... you can see it when you look at my torso, some of the ribs stick out funny and some are sort of sunken-in. This is obviously a problem, and so I'm looking to make sure I don't get another binding device that messes with my ribs even worse.

That said, I'm looking at some of the Underworks (http://ftm.underworks.com/) ones. Particularly the tri-top or the double front compression shirt. Does anyone have experience with either (better yet, both) of these? If so, how are your ribs looking? Is it comfortable to wear all day every day? Can anyone make a comparison between the two? I'm trying to get some practical information about how they wear before I make a decision which to buy, so if anyone can help that'd be great.

-Neil

I've used both the tri top and double front. I had problems with the tri top rolling up on me a lot so for me the double front works much better it's longer so I can tuck it into my pants. It does a great job at flattening my chest out too.

pocoyo
03-09-2007, 10:28 AM
AWww noo! I am sorry to hear that it's damaged you. :(
I won't wear a binder for fear of damage. But I do wear a quite tight tube-type sports bra. Occasionally will put a very stretched leg bandage over the top.

I think you should go to the Drs about it... to check everything is ok!
Good luck with it.. and with finding a healthier solution :happy:

CaptLex
03-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Ouch! That sounds scary. It's bad enough damaging breast tissue and limiting circulation, but moving ribs is even scarier. I've used the Underworks double vest but now I prefer the double compression one with the snaps in the front - so much easier to get into and out of. Those darn things do stretch out quickly though. I think it's time for a new one. :p

BTW, welcome to the forum, Neil! :D

Dasein9
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Underworks, and the only problem I've had at all is this week. I've had some kind of illness that's put fluid in my lungs, and wearing the binder all day yesterday seems to have given me a relapse. Either that, or I've convinced myself that the first day of Spring Break should be a sick day! ;)

Cap'n, the Underworks binders can be taken in by simply stitching up 1/4" in from the seam while it's inside-out. I've seen a friend's that's been taken in that way 3 times. It really extends their life!

CaptLex
03-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Cap'n, the Underworks binders can be taken in by simply stitching up 1/4" in from the seam while it's inside-out. I've seen a friend's that's been taken in that way 3 times. It really extends their life!
Are you seriously asking me to sew? Please . . . I can barely sew on a button. :p Besides, I don't think that would work for me. Taking it in would make it smaller, but it wouldn't put the tightness back into the compression part of it. It's just not really compressing much anymore.

Kieron Andrew
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
ouch that sounds painful.....i dont get no problems with underworks

welcome to the forum Neil.....perhaps go do an introduction thread (here http://crossdressers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15 )and tell us a bit about you...that would be a nice start :)

Felix
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi, I have to say that sounds awful painful and sorry it has damaged ya hun. I have been using underworks for almost a year now and have had no problems. I wear two vests together cos they was gettin old and it works great. I am asthmatic so I keep an eye on my peak flow to make sure its ok. The nurse was happy with it when I went and I told her I wear a binder she wasn't overly concerned. So I'd say underworks is ya best bet good luck and let us know how ya go xx Felix :hugs:

RevMoonSerpent
03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by the Capt
I've used the Underworks double vest but now I prefer the double compression one with the snaps in the front

If it's not too much trouble, what would you say the average length is on the vests you buy. I have been emailing Underworks for some length measurements to see if I would have to shorten them if I bought one but, they haven't gotten back to me.

CaptLex
03-09-2007, 11:01 PM
If it's not too much trouble, what would you say the average length is on the vests you buy. I have been emailing Underworks for some length measurements to see if I would have to shorten them if I bought one but, they haven't gotten back to me.

The vest one reaches my waist, but the one with the hooks that I use now is much longer and covers my hips (but then I'm a shortie - 5'2"). Okay, I just measured that one and it's 25" long. It took me a while to get used to it, but it's okay now - makes me fit into my jeans better. Hope that helps.

Felix
03-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I got the extra long vest cos I was worried that it would ride up it goes down to my bum cos i'm five feet if i'm lucky xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I get the small 997 and it goes down over the bulge of my belly. It's flattering that way too. Sometimes it rolls up, and as the binders get broken in, the rolling diminishes. Since it compresses my whole torso, there's not much danger of distorting the ribs.

Also, Underworks binders are supposed to be for men with gynecomastia, and so they're what doctors recommend, so I have more trust that they're safe. I've spoken with the guy who designs them, and he's very much aware that his customers are mostly ftm's. He's even talked about making some with wider hips to fight the rolling problem.

false_dichotomy
03-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I was more strongly considering the double front compression one, but then I realized how much I like my belly showing sometimes-- because I can be something of a flamer-- so that made me think more seriously about the tri-top, since it doesn't tuck into the pants. Oh the choices!

I'm getting the impression that the double front compression one is a little more comfortable? Since it compresses the whole torso, does it emphasize the feminine waist? I'm kinda slender and that's a worry for me as well...

-Neil

RevMoonSerpent
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Capt you really helped a lot. The main reason that I asked is that when I place an order with them I usually buy in sets of three so that I qualify for all of the discounts and I didn't want to spend that kind of money without some idea as to what I was getting. I'm going to try and see if I can squeeze a few out of my husband for my birthday.

CaptLex
03-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm getting the impression that the double front compression one is a little more comfortable? Since it compresses the whole torso, does it emphasize the feminine waist? I'm kinda slender and that's a worry for me as well...

-Neil
Hey, Neil:

It's probably different for different body types. I don't have much of a waist with or without the binder, but that's probably due to my body shape. The only thing that gives me something of a waist is my large hips - some things we just can't change. :p

Dasein9
03-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't think it emphasises the waist. In the past, people who thought they were paying me a compliment have said I have "childbearing hips. " Ugh. But with the binder, everything kind of blends.

bi_weird
03-11-2007, 12:32 PM
In the past, people who thought they were paying me a compliment have said I have "childbearing hips. " Ugh. But with the binder, everything kind of blends.
Isn't it amazing how you can really dislike your hips? If I look at my body from a male perspective, they end up making me look fat, which is just weird. If I had a magic wand, I think I'd shrink my hips before my breasts, 'cause I can hide my breasts and not my hips.

jsoto81
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I just bought three binders from underworks and I'm really excited to see how they work out. I had ordered one from mango products, but it seems not to be as tight as when I first bought it. I'm really looking forward to the underworks ones.

I just tried on the Tri-port binder and that'll take some getting use to, it does compress me the best but it's weird having it only about mid way up my stomach. Did anyone else find this weird when they first pu theirs on?

I'll let you know how they work out and post some pictures when I can.

false_dichotomy
03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Another Underworks question-- if my measurements end up right on the borderline between sizes (one size is for A-B inches, the next is for C-D inches, and I measure B 1/2 inches...) should I go for the larger or the smaller size? I'm assuming the smaller one if they really stretch out as much as everyone says, but I don't want to get caught in another uncomfortable binder for months...

CaptLex
03-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Not really sure, Neil. I think the bigger size will stretch out soon enough and not be helpful at all, but the smaller size may be tight for a while until it can stretch out a bit. I guess it depends on which one you prefer - or which one you think would be worse. :straightface:

Lex
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Personally I don't think you should bind every day. Binding is bad for you. You've noticed your ribs getting all squished and stuff. I always thought corsets were stupid and binders are pretty much the same, although there are at least some ribs to protect your soft organs from getting squished. I've never had a proper binder because I've always been too big up top and now I'm too small to need one. The underworks ones look good though, most guys seem to have one. So my advice is just, DON'T bind if you don't have to. As soon as you are home alone, take it off. Too much binding can be bad for you.