PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'll have to stay in the closet...for now.

Gina_darling
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I was getting myself psyched up to tell the family when I got back. I posted a thread about how to approach the coming out thing and most responses were to take it steady so thanks for that. A couple suggested I didn't say anything. Anyway I decided to test the water by guaging opinions. Unfortunately the response were not what I was expecting. My Mum is usually very understanding, so I thought, but the opinions were quite negative. So I think I will keep it to myself at least where home is concerned. I have my own flat back in Scotland where I live most of the time so it won't be a problem.

Just thought I'd share this with you. Perhaps some of you may have some advice on how to open other peoples' minds?

Gina xx

Shelly Preston
03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
As much as opening people minds is great

Some have minds you can not open if you used Dynamite :Angry3:

All you can do is gently try to get tem to see the other point of view

You can only make the best decision for you with the information you have available at the time

sugarspice
03-11-2007, 01:09 PM
some ppl u may find just wont be able to see the other side all they view is what they want, u could try to press upon their opinions but dont push it to the point they ask questions, if ur happy and can still live ur life happily then dont worry.

stacie
03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
It does take a lot of time, You went at it right. I never told anyone in my family other then my wife.

Tina B.
03-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I have my own flat back in Scotland where I live most of the time so it won't be a problem.

Just thought I'd share this with you. Perhaps some of you may have some advice on how to open other peoples' minds?

Gina xx

Gina, We ahve a saying here in the states, You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Well it is the same for us, you can tell people if you want, but you can't make them understand, or except. Why hurt or possibly lose family over what you can't change. If you live far enough away, that you don't see them all that often, just go on living your life, and let them live theirs. It would be nice to have exeptance, but nice is not always within reach. Out side of my wife, I don't feel any of the others in my family would, or could understand, but that does not take away my love for them. Unless you are planning to live full time as a woman, why stir up all that possible hurt within the family?
Tina B.

battybattybats
03-12-2007, 02:25 AM
" ... We ahve a saying here in the states, You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

How about:
"You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think." ?

KELLYANN
03-12-2007, 03:07 AM
HI GINA WELCOME. :happy:

jozee
03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
dynamite's a good suggestion! ha! ha! a little messy though. maybe try a sledgehammer instead!:hugs:

RachelDenise
03-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Opening people's minds? I watch CSI to figure that out. They usually use a bone saw! It's hard to change people unless they want to change.

Gina_darling
03-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Opening people's minds? I watch CSI to figure that out. They usually use a bone saw! It's hard to change people unless they want to change.

Ha ha! In that case I open minds myself regularly! (Though not peoples')

Thank you all for your support, it is greatly appreciated girls! :gh:

Tamara Segunda
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
" ... We ahve a saying here in the states, You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

How about:
"You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think." ?

Or Dorothy Parker's famous one: "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think." :D
.......Tamara Segunda.

Melinda G
03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Read my lips. Don't do it!!!