PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need ear piercing advice ASAP

Rachel Ann
02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I had my ears pierced about 12 days ago. The backings of the healing posts were so flimsy that the one in the right ear came off in my sleep the first night, and I had to go back for a re-piercing. (That's the last time I go to a cheap place!)

My left ear is doing fine, but my right ear seems to have become infected. (I'm following all of the aftercare instructions.) The trouble is, my immune system is doing its job, which includes growing fresh tissue. So my right lobe is expanding, and threatens to "swallow" the stud.

Is there any way that I can deal with this without starting all over?

Thanks in advance.

Love

StephanieCD
02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
As I recall, mine swelled up something awful, too. I didn't get mine done in a parlor or anything - it was some chick store in the mall. They used the cheap gun thing and they got really swollen and puffy.

Patience.

Clean frequently with hydrogen peroxide.

Rotate the stud frequently to keep it from sticking to the puss.

If the pain gets too be a lot I think my old man put a hot compress on it for a while - hot water on a washcloth.

Clean lots (did I say that?)

I also remember that mine seeped a lot - leaking a foul smelling goop - and a slight squeeze would drain it a bit at a time.

Don't worry about the stud being swallowed - it'll probably stay swollen for a few days. Just be so sterile it's silly and then when it starts to heal leave it alone! If you touch it, remember your hands aren't sterile, too.

Maybe gauze and medical tape will keep it from getting ripped out in your sleep - but it might do the opposite?

Dunno - tried to help. It's been a few years.

(if you think it'll be ok to take the stud out to clean it and then replace it after - don't do it, it hurts worse)

Rachel Ann
02-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks, Stephanie

I finally had to take it out, and my ear started bleeding profusely. I put the earring in an antiseptic bath but don't plan to try reinserting it until my ear has healed.

I followed aftercare instructions but such is life. Next time I'll try the gauze and tape!

If I have to get it repierced I am NOT going back to any cheap gun-using place!!!

Love

StephanieCD
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Try a tattoo/piercing parlor - they're open minded by nature anyway ;)

AnnaMaria
02-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Rachel,

The problems that you had were probably due to the fact that you had to have it re-pierced. The first time I had my left ear done I went for about three months before I tried to change the stud that I was wearing and within about two weeks it was infected. Needless to say I had to let it heal and try again. The second time I had it done I told the girl to go through the origional hole and the whole side of my head turned red for about an entire day and my ear was sore for several after that. You might have had a similar out come for the same reason.

The other thing I can say is to make sure that when you have it done next time make sure that they use the expensive studs. They usually run about $20 to $30 per set but they have locking backs that are not easy to get off and they won't come off unless you actually take them off. They are also made of better metal and are coated to prevent reactions from the metal touching skin. Well worth the cost for the amount of trouble that they save.

The only other thing that I can suggest would be to see if you can have them done like my mother did. When she had her ears done her doctor did them and she didn't have any trouble at all. I don't know if there are any doctors left that do that kind of thing but it might be worth a try if it will help avoid such problems the next time around.

huggs
anna

Topaz
02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
My ears get infected with anything that is a cheap metal, I need a solid gold or high quality silver for my earrings.

I find it easer to get my ears to heal if I use a high quality wire instead of a stud. I know everyone likes to use studs but I find I just can't get them to stay clean enough.

They usually sell replacement wires in jewelry stores. If you can find one that locks on itself to keep it closed it won't slip out of your ear. If you can't find a wire try a small hoop that's the same size all the way around.

When mine start to act up I use the wires and witch hazel and run the wire back and forth a couple of times to clean the goop out and get the witch hazel into the infected area. Poroxide also works.

Hope this helps

Hugs
Topaz

DonnaT
02-10-2005, 11:27 PM
For Pierced ears:

http://www.aaajewelry.com/Allergy%20Help.html

Note that the protector sleeves can be left in, when the earings are removed, to keep holes open.

Tamara Croft
02-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Infections and swelling when you have had your ears pierced is fairly common. It's most likely caused by the cheap earings and unsterile equipment. The earings that should be used are hyperallegenic, but even those can cause irritation. The earings should also be made with a indent so the butterfly clips onto this and cannot slip off. My ears react to these studs and I replaced them with silver.

I have a new type gun, the earings are in a sterile box and is then placed on the gun in a plastic mould.

http://www.estelle-england.co.uk/images/boxed_gun.jpg
New Type System

http://unimaxsupply.com/jlry/1ear/piercing-gun.jpg
Old Type System

If the person who is piercing your ears uses the old type gun... it's most likely they have touched the earings with unsterile hands... hence causing cross infection. If you are going to have your ears pierced, first make sure they wash their hands, if they are using the old type gun where they have to place the earing into the gun using their hands.... don't have it done.

Tamara x

Music4one
03-07-2005, 01:06 PM
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR=Magenta]
Infections and swelling when you have had your ears pierced is fairly common. It's most likely caused by the cheap earings and unsterile equipment. The earings that should be used are hyperallegenic, but even those can cause irritation. The earings should also be made with a indent so the butterfly clips onto this and cannot slip off. My ears react to these studs and I replaced them with silver.

I have a new type gun, the earings are in a sterile box and is then placed on the gun in a plastic mould.

http://www.estelle-england.co.uk/images/boxed_gun.jpg
New Type System

http://unimaxsupply.com/jlry/1ear/piercing-gun.jpg
Old Type System

If the person who is piercing your ears uses the old type gun... it's most likely they have touched the earings with unsterile hands... hence causing cross infection. If you are going to have your ears pierced, first make sure they wash their hands, if they are using the old type gun where they have to place the earing into the gun using their hands.... don't have it done.

Tamara x

Dear Tamara:
Read your short but to the point Thread about Ear Piercing.

I did mine when I unofficially came out in 89 whilst living in Toronto Canada. All I did was to run a Sewing needle under very Hot Water for about 5 Minutes. Then I pierced each ear. I am not allergic to any type of Ear ring.

As it says your are a G.G. God I wish I had a Girl Friend. Yes I have a boy Friend but he was formally a She. Is in the process to change her Sex. As Johnathan, yes he is okay yes no doubt you can see a bit of hesitancy. I like the Young man he gave me two silver Friendship rings two weeks ago. Yes they are cheapies, but it is the thought. I know probably what My Grandmother would say if she were alive.

"Count Your Blessings, You Have a BoyFriend was not that you prayed to Your Mother/Father
God
For?"
Well any ways good thread about Ear Piercing. Taked Care!!!

Sincerely: Music4one

Rachel Ann
03-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Thank you all for your advice. :)

Try a tattoo/piercing parlor - they're open minded by nature anyway ;)This is what I finally did. Got some bigger 24K gold studs with sturdy backings and had the right ear repierced at such a parlor.

Unlike the gun-using, teen-staffed mall place, these were clearly professionals using hospital-level sterile procedure. I had the right ear repierced and the new studs put in both ears. (The one that had been in my left ear had a bent post!?!). I apply the sterilizing liquid twice a day and have had absolutely no problems.

My ears get infected with anything that is a cheap metal, I need a solid gold or high quality silver for my earrings.
Quite right. Gold is better because silver still oxidizes a little (this shows as tarnish) Gold is one of the least chemically reactive metals in nature.

Infections and swelling when you have had your ears pierced is fairly common. It's most likely caused by the cheap earings and unsterile equipment.Ironically, I got my first ear piercing at a street fair but had no problems. The healing stud was substantial and had a screw-on backing.

I have a new type gun, the earings are in a sterile box and is then placed on the gun in a plastic mould.I don't have anything against the gun per se, just that it puts the procedure within reach of untrained clerks with minimal sanitary procedures. I was lucky that they got the holes even!

As far as walking around with two gold studs? Once upon a time there was a rule that a man could only wear one earring, right ear for gays, left ear for straights. Nowadays you can do anything you want and nobody has given me a second look. Walking back from the piercing place to the parking garage, I looked around and it seemed that half the guys on the street had two matching earrings! :D My son noticed them but figured that was just Dad being hip. :p

Marissa_CD
03-07-2005, 03:26 PM
OK the first problem is that you prolly had your ears pierced by a ear piercing gun right? WRONG!!! What are we in the dark ages? ear guns have been deemed distructive for many years and can not believe people still use them. Go to a professional Tatto parlor and get it done (once it is healed of course) by a needle and dont put one o those grubby disgusting aluminum studs in get a staneless steel small or big (depending on what you want) hoop or barbell. the healing time takes much less time to heal after and are much much less painfull. besides the stainless hoops or barbells are much more accepted when in drab and are very easy to change oout when in fem. Please do not use a gun to pierce your ears!
Love, Marissa.

Rachel Ann
03-07-2005, 03:38 PM
This is one I just had to learn the hard way, Marissa. From now on it's 24K gold posts only for me, and I will try to always wear at least studs, never letting the holes grow over.

Ironically, the piercing parlor didn't cost much more than the mall booth, except for the better studs.

I can't believe that people take babies to get their ears pierced! :confused: The parlor flat out won't pierce or tattoo anyone under 18 not accompanied by a parent. And anyone who is drunk or high is told to come back another day.

Tamara Croft
03-07-2005, 03:56 PM
OK the first problem is that you prolly had your ears pierced by a ear piercing gun right? WRONG!!! What are we in the dark ages? ear guns have been deemed distructive for many years and can not believe people still use them. Go to a professional Tatto parlor and get it done (once it is healed of course) by a needle and dont put one o those grubby disgusting aluminum studs in get a staneless steel small or big (depending on what you want) hoop or barbell. the healing time takes much less time to heal after and are much much less painfull. besides the stainless hoops or barbells are much more accepted when in drab and are very easy to change oout when in fem. Please do not use a gun to pierce your ears!
Love, Marissa.
Like I said in my previous post.... most salons use an old type gun........ and are unhygienic. The new system which I use is perfectly fine and I have had NO complaints at all. I think using a needle to pierce the ears is a bit harsh.... the hole would be a tad big.... I have my navel pierced.... I don't think I'd like a hole that big in my ears.

Tamara x