PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Sizes

Dasein9
03-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Some brands just work, while others just don't. Went shopping at the Gap yesterday and discovered that in dress shirts, their men's size S is the same thing as their boys' size XXL. The shirts are of comparable quality, but the boys' cost half as much as the men's.

Since we guys are often differently proportioned than the average non-trans-males for whom clothing is made, I thought maybe a thread where we share our tips and tricks might be helpful.

Xaff
03-12-2007, 11:31 AM
You know what is funny. Always when I used to buy girl/woman clothing the shurt wouldn't fit. It would be to big on that part and to smal on the other part. But when I go shopping in the boy section (men's to big for me) I fit almost everything. It's even in my higth size. :D

This is going to be an intresting topic. :thumbsup:

Felix
03-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I have less problems with mens clothes I think that's cos they are more or less right for me. I sometimes have to alter the length of trousers, also I don't like trousers where the crutch is like too long, do ya know what I mean. As for shirts no problem they fit great and I prefere them to anything. I am broad even though I am loosing weight still in a large in a shirt although it does depend I have a smart shirt thats a medium and that fits me nicely. It all depends on the makers to I think. Haven't tried jumpers yet but don't find a need cos it get to hot in school xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't like trousers where the crutch is like too long, do ya know what I mean.

Yep. Chafing is annoying. When you get your -- ahem! -- present, you may find that some of the extra fabric in the crotch disappears when you're using it.

CaptLex
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't have too many problems with men's pant sizes 'cause I can usually find some that fit my inseam if I look hard enough (even with my short legs), or get them hemmed if I have to. My problem is with men's shirts and shoes. There are no men's shoes in my size, only boys' shoes, and these are not usually well made. As for the shirts, I have to buy shirts that will fit my large *ahem* pecs ;), and that means these shirts are usually too long - and hard to tailor. :rolleyes:

Das, ol' buddy . . . please don't tell me you can fit into a men's small-size shirt . . . you'll depress me. :p

Dasein9
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't have too many problems with men's pant sizes 'cause I can usually find some that fit my inseam if I look hard enough (even with my short legs), or get them hemmed if I have to. My problem is with men's shirts and shoes. There are no men's shoes in my size, only boys' shoes, and these are not usually well made. As for the shirts, I have to buy shirts that will fit my large *ahem* pecs ;), and that means these shirts are usually too long - and hard to tailor. :rolleyes:

Das, ol' buddy . . . please don't tell me you can fit into a men's small-size shirt . . . you'll depress me. :p

Okay. Is it okay if I can fit into a boys' XXL?

If there are men's shoes to fit me, then I daresay there are men's shoes to fit you. But they come at men's prices, too. Check out Zappo's, figure out the size conversion, and do a search by size. I'm eyeing an $85 pair of Bostonian cap toe bluchers right now. Leather soles, so they'll click when I walk down the halls at school. :)

Some shoes are unisex in style, too, so I don't mind buying women's sizes. Like Land's End's all weather mocs. These are very lightweight and very comfortable.

bi_weird
03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
OH BOYS PANTS! I LOVE BOYS PANTS!
sorry. *looks bashful* I just get really excited. I've been wearing high waters for years, and my boy pants are long enough! They even drag under my feet a little! It's so very very exciting!
As for other things. Women's clothes have never fit right - I'm just to big to be a proper girl. I've worn unisex t-shirts and guys shoes off and on my whole life. I've been glad that I've never had a width problem with shoes - all of me is long and narrow, including my feet, but I guess I'm close enough to average there. My other favorite boy thing is to shop the sale racks at places like American Eagle and Aeropostale. Really not my thing in girls clothes, but you can often get a great button up shirt for five bucks, and smaller sizes are more common.

CaptLex
03-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Okay. Is it okay if I can fit into a boys' XXL?
Oh, that's it . . . I'm officially depressed. :p I agree that Lands End (and L.L.Bean) unisex shoes are a big help, but I don't have $85 for shoes at Zappo's. Will check them out, though - maybe they'll have a sale.

Dasein9
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
If you spend that kind of money on a good pair of dress shoes, then spend another $10-20 on a good pair of unvarnished cedar shoe trees. The trees only have to be put in the shoes for a few hours after you've worn them, and they'll extend the shoes' life by years. What they do is hold the leather in shape and absorb moisture.

The ones I'm looking at may be expensive, but they're a good investment since with occasional polishing they'll last for many years. And they can be resoled if needed.

jsoto81
03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I find that clothes fit me better in the mens/boys department. Or british clothing companies fit me great, burton.co.uk is one example and I can't wait for H & M to open up near my work. Since I'm skinnier and shorter than most guys. Or hottopic.com, but their clothes are mostly black, but I can find some good shirts or jackets there that work out very nicely. Surfing and skateboarding places, like Tilly's here in the states works out fantastically. Cause their boys clothes don't look like little boys clothes, it looks exactly like mens shirts and pants just smaller. I've got a few nice polos and dressier shirts that are a brilliant fit. As for actual suit I haven't found one that fits me but I'm sure I'm going to have to have it tailored specifically for me. And shoes I haven't found any dress shoes, but I was schocked when I went to buy a pair of vans classic slip ons that my feet have grown half a shoe size, from a 5.5 to a 6.0 (needless to say I was very happy).

On a side note if anyone wants some awesome info about finding clothes to help out with hiding out figures or helping accentuate certain things watch the 4th season of Queer Eye, the one with Miles Geoff, he was their first trans-man they made over and they covered a lot of nice stuff. Carson had tips on clothes and Ted had tips on food that's good for us during transition and Kayne went over things that some of us may night have had to deal with in our first puberty. I highly recommend it.

Evert
03-13-2007, 03:21 AM
M'okay. I stay away from this, 'cause I don't even fit women sizes. I have Men's size xxl. :p

Samantha Lough
03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Ummm what is a Jumper ? Cause here a jumper is a short one peace dress with a polo shirt top, more or less a school uniform for girls +?

CaptLex
03-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Ummm what is a Jumper ? Cause here a jumper is a short one peace dress with a polo shirt top, more or less a school uniform for girls +?
It's what we on this side of the Atlantic call a sweater. :happy:

Samantha Lough
03-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Tanks CaptLex

Felix
03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
:o Ya right Das about wearing ya know it does pull things up slightly :heehee: I only have one pare of trousers that really bother me my others are all ok really :happy: As for shoes I stick to my Docs and my skater trainers swear by them xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee!

I bought some undershorts made by Jockey. They're calling them "Poco Briefs!"

pocoyo
03-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Hehe!!! Exccuuuuseee meee? :eek:
My own range of underwear... at last :heehee: :bunny:

Tristan
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM

lmao I almost choked on my veggies when I read that. I want pocobriefs!!!!

How dare you not give freebies out to your friends, mate? hehe

Kieron Andrew
03-13-2007, 05:44 PM

hey!!!! how come he gets his own range of undies! :eek: mind you kieron briefs dont have the same ring to it lol

just did a search on poco briefs and they sell them in the UK too....hmmmm i got poco on my arse! different lol

pocoyo
03-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Hehe sorry Trist! It's just they are so popular there were none spare!

Kieron!!..............:eek: !!!!

Kieron Andrew
03-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Kieron!!..............:eek: !!!!
Whatttttttttttt!!!! :confused::angel:

RevMoonSerpent
03-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I must be one of the cheapest guys on the planet. I'm a regular Walmart shopper. I figure that no matter where I buy clothes to get an exact fit I'm going to have to do some alterations so why spend a ton of money on a pair of jeans when I can buy them for $11 there. Same with shirts. If they need to be shortened I would rather pay only $6 for something that I have to alter anyways.

happyfish
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Wal Mart isn't that cheap. I buy my clothes a second-hand stores. :D Well, with the obvious exceptions of socks and underwear 'cause...used socks and underwear? Ew. Anyway, I tend to hate whatever's fashionable at the moment, so I like shopping better at thrift stores and the like. You never know what you're going to find.

Abraxas
03-14-2007, 01:14 AM
I've never really had a problem, cos I wear more or less standard mens' sizes. 32X34 for jeans/trousers, medium for shirts (or 14/15 for dress shirts), ten in shoes. Very average sizes. Jackets are tougher though, cos I wear a 36 long, and those are hard to come by for some reason (not so much the 36 part, more the long part). You'd think that since I wear medium shirts, I wouldn't wear the smallest size jacket they make. Hmmm. I suppose, though, that I could always buy a 38. Wouldn't be that much too big.

Dasein9
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Just have to watch the shoulders. Some jackets can make one's head look small. Others are fine.

ZenFrost
03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I have some clothing issues with men's clothes. My overall body shape and size is rather feminine and so my curves don't always fit so well into the men's cuts. Still, I find them more comfortable than a dress that fits perfectly.

I tend not to buy anything from Wal-Mart because 99% of the time the quality of their products is absolute crap.

Amy07
03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Amazing that MtF or FtM we all have the same problems with clothes. Pants, shirts, and especially shoes...enjoy the ride!

Dasein9
03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Okay, I just spent a small fortune on clothes for prom. Am feeling guilty, even though everything's quality and will be wearable in different contexts. Except for the honkin' big, obnoxious belt buckle I'm wearing instead of a cumberbund. ;)

Land's End is having a good sale on men's jeans. (Yeh, they're for prom!)

If you have small feet, Frye Boots' online store has really good prices on their kids' sizes.

happyfish
03-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I fit boy's XL (sorry Capt'n ;)), which is nice I suppose because the clothes are cheaper. I haven't bought shoes yet, and I'm not looking forward to it. I have short, narrow feet and have issues enough buying women's shoes that fit, let alone trying to find men's. Plus I get really paranoid when I go shopping. I went yesterday, and I kept thinking that I was being read by everyone. >.>

Dasein9
03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Try www.zappos.com. Free delivery, and easy returns if they don't fit. And you can shop by size.

CaptLex
03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
If you have small feet, Frye Boots' online store has really good prices on their kids' sizes.
I love Frye boots, but the boys' sizes don't fit me. :Pfft:

So where did you finally find the belt buckle?

Dasein9
03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
At one of the horrid stores on Fordham Rd. :)

CaptLex
03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
At one of the horrid stores on Fordham Rd. :)
Ha, ha . . . I had a feeling you were going to say that. :lol2:

I fit boy's XL (sorry Capt'n )
Oh no, not you too . . . I hate you guys. :p

Plus I get really paranoid when I go shopping. I went yesterday, and I kept thinking that I was being read by everyone.
Yup, I know the feeling. But it usually turns out that not as many people as we think are checking us out really are.
And if they are . . . give 'em that sharky grin. :D

Kieron Andrew
03-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Capt ive not been able to fit boys clothes since i was like 10-11 so dont feel bad......but i do fit boys shoes lol

Dasein9
03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
New Yorkers just don't seem to care. I occasionally get a double-take when I pull out the debit card, but that's about it.

But... If I may go off-topic for a moment, NEW YORKERS ROCK!
Yesterday, I slipped while going down the stairs to the subway and bounced down a few steps. (So that's what glutes are for -- bouncing!) Before I could even blink, there was a man at either of my elbows helping me up and asking, "Are you all right, sir?" Everyone seems to think NY-ers are mean, but really, they're not at all!

Then, after my subway ride, a guy fell in step with me and started talking. After a few minutes, he asked if I had a girlfriend. I said no, and he asked if I'd like him to get me one. Oh, dear. I think I met a pimp.

Kieron Andrew
03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
there was a man at either of my elbows helping me up and asking, "Are you all right, sir?"
yay and you got called sir too!!! i hope you didnt hurt yourself too much bud!!

CaptLex
03-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Everyone seems to think NY-ers are mean, but really, they're not at all!
Yes, it's just a terrible stereotype. We just seem that way 'cause we've seen just about everything and we're usually wary of strangers. Once we know somebody is cool, we're very friendly.

After a few minutes, he asked if I had a girlfriend. I said no, and he asked if I'd like him to get me one. Oh, dear. I think I met a pimp.
And this is why we're wary of strangers.

Great story - glad they called you "sir". :clap:

Dasein9
03-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeh. I think I have a third buttock right now. A purple one, sticking right out of the right one. But nothing worse than that, thank goodness.

pocoyo
03-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Awww poor Das!!!!! :hugs:

I have a sore butt from falling over too.. we now have a matching pair :heehee:

Very cool he knew you were a sir :D woo! respec' due!