PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

Holly
02-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Today I had to report for jury duty. I was thinking this morning that I wish I had the nerve to show up in court en femme. I don't think there is a law against it. The only dress code I know of is no shorts, no tank tops. I can abide by that! I have to go back next Monday. Do you think I would be held in contempt if I showed up in my black chiffon skirt, pink blouse, and 4" heels? For what it's worth, the judge is a guy, and the prosecution and defense attorneys are females, and both really cute. And they dress well. OMG, I think I see a career change in my future. How long does it take to pass the bar??? (Not A bar, THE bar).

DonnaT
02-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Go for it girl! :D

As long as your comfortable, but you can't change back again if your selected and sitting in on a trial. It would be distracting and frowned upon.

Sweet Jeanette
02-10-2005, 11:54 PM
That would be interesting!---To report for jury duty "en femme"!-----That would Be TRIPPY!!!----Around here,-I would hope that the bullets they fire at me, -don't hit me, as I run out of the courtroom, skirts aflying, after they FIND OUT! :eek:

Tracie Lynn
02-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't about being held in contempt of court or not but you may be questioned and disqualified as a jurror it's just hard to say.

MarieTS
02-11-2005, 01:37 AM
The last time I was on jury duty there was a guy there in the selection pool who was in femme. He was not cited for contempt, nor was he selected for a jury. So, if you don't want to be seated on a jury go right ahead! :D

Rikki
02-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Holly,

That sounds like a good way to get out of serving, but you never know what the judge will say. There is no law about wearing a nice dress, or skirt and blouse anywhere that I am know of. But like Donna has stated, you would have to stay with it if you're chosen. I think that would be exciting. I don't know how your voice is, but your appearance could surely pass with no trouble.

Rikki

Sweet Jeanette
02-11-2005, 01:51 AM
The last time I was on jury duty there was a guy there in the selection pool who was in femme. He was not cited for contempt, nor was he selected for a jury. So, if you don't want to be seated on a jury go right ahead! :D

Sounds like a good way to get out of jury duty!

christine55
02-11-2005, 02:29 AM
YOu are pretty nice looking, I don't know if you pass in public or not but in a court of law when it became known that you are a genetic male I could just imagine all the stern dissaproving looks. You would be immediately dis MISS ed. I can't imagine a judge allowing a trial with a juror getting more attention than the case. Probably not fun at all.
Hugs, Christine

Holly
02-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Go for it girl! :D

As long as your comfortable, but you can't change back again if your selected and sitting in on a trial. It would be distracting and frowned upon.And I would want to change back because???

That would be interesting!---To report for jury duty "en femme"!-----That would Be TRIPPY!!!----Around here,-I would hope that the bullets they fire at me, -don't hit me, as I run out of the courtroom, skirts aflying, after they FIND OUT! :eek:But your honor, I had nothing else to wear!

I don't about being held in contempt of court or not but you may be questioned and disqualified as a jurror it's just hard to say.I just want to be held!

The last time I was on jury duty there was a guy there in the selection pool who was in femme. He was not cited for contempt, nor was he selected for a jury. So, if you don't want to be seated on a jury go right ahead!Well I certainly don't want to STAND for the entire trial.

...I don't know how your voice is, but your appearance could surely pass with no trouble.Why thank-you!

YOu are pretty nice looking, I don't know if you pass in public or not but in a court of law when it became known that you are a genetic male I could just imagine all the stern dissaproving looks. You would be immediately dis MISS ed. I can't imagine a judge allowing a trial with a juror getting more attention than the case. Probably not fun at all.Do you think I might get a spanking?

Tristen Cox
02-11-2005, 03:24 AM
I just want to be held!

Holly! OMG that's terrible! :p Lmao

ChristineRenee
02-11-2005, 05:13 AM
If it were me, what would you advise me to do?

That's what you should do!

Your welcome!

Love,
Chrissie mom:)

TrueGemini'sWife GG
02-11-2005, 09:12 AM
And I would want to change back because???

But your honor, I had nothing else to wear!

I just want to be held!

Well I certainly don't want to STAND for the entire trial.

Why thank-you!

Do you think I might get a spanking?
Oh Holly, you are such a trip..
You have me laughing so hard!
Great way to wake up in the morning...

I think you look so cute and my vote is...
GO FOR IT!
Just be careful the Judge doesn't call you into his chambers!
Might get that spanking after all!!
LOL!

Lots of Love,
;)
Pattie

Wendy me
02-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Today I had to report for jury duty. I was thinking this morning that I wish I had the nerve to show up in court en femme. I don't think there is a law against it. The only dress code I know of is no shorts, no tank tops. I can abide by that! I have to go back next Monday. Do you think I would be held in contempt if I showed up in my black chiffon skirt, pink blouse, and 4" heels? For what it's worth, the judge is a guy, and the prosecution and defense attorneys are females, and both really cute. And they dress well. OMG, I think I see a career change in my future. How long does it take to pass the bar??? (Not A bar, THE bar).

mom if you dressed like that who would not want you on ???????jury of my peers would dress that way :p love yar mom

Ashleigh
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Holly,

They would dismiss you in most juridictions. They would consider you as "making a farce of the court" (this would be their mindset). I don't know the exact terminology they would use, but that is the jist.

My wife works for a district court as a court recorder. In our area, you would be dismissed immediately, and the next jurer in line would be placed.

It would be an interesting occurence though. Maybe you would make the news if the judge allowed cameras in his courtroom.

LindaTS
02-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't know about So. CA now but I used to live there and it was a lot more liberal than where I am now. Here in central NY, which is very rural, I'm sure if I tried something like that my name would be in the papers so fast it would make your head swim. Talk about coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vickie-CD
02-11-2005, 10:02 AM
I've never passed the bar, I always stop and go in(poor attempt to be funny). I always thought it was up to the attorneys picking the jury pool, unless the judge dismissed you for a hardship or medical reason.
This is true, about three years ago I was notified for jury duty. I've been under psyciatric care for over 12 years now for depression and other problems. I took the jury summons to my psyc appointment and showed him, and he said " I'll take care of that, If I were on trial I would'nt want you on my jury". That is the honest truth, I have major depression and some other mental problems, to hear that from my own doctor, talk about feeling worthless!!!!!!! Enough time has passed that I can laugh about it now, but then it devistated me.
Love to All,
Vickie

Ashleigh
02-11-2005, 10:23 AM
I've never passed the bar, I always stop and go in(poor attempt to be funny). I always thought it was up to the attorneys picking the jury pool, unless the judge dismissed you for a hardship or medical reason.

It is true that usually the attorneys choose the jury IF both agree. But the final say so is the judge. He is the ultimate authority in the courtroom and not even the governor or the president can preside over a judge in his court room. Basically, the judge can dismiss a jurer who has been approved by both attorneys if he has reason to do so and it doesn't have to be limited to a medical situation.

I have seen it happen. At that time he knew something we all didn't about the prospective jurer.

Vickie-CD
02-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Ashleigh, thanks for the info. The court system and Judges is something I know very little about.
Love,
Vickie

sherri
02-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I double-dog dare ya.

:)

Sandra H
02-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Holly.

I do not only think you should go to jury service dressed, but I think we girls should all come with you as suport. Anyone want to join the posse? :)

sandim
02-11-2005, 11:37 AM
The following are from the Pennsylvania guidlines for jury dress codes: Usually all states are pretty much the same!

"There is no prescribed dress for jurors except that the dress of any juror shall not detract from the dignity of the court. Women may wear slacks provided they are appropriate to a courtroom. Men should dress conservatively. Shorts, tank tops and tee shirts with slang slogans are considered inappropriate dress. Remember the parties in any case look to the jurors for justice. Their faith in the jury system is more likely to persist if the jurors make a favorable appearance"

Holly: to attempt to answer your question, basically there is no specific law against dressing enfemme on jury duty, unless you use your enfemme name, and its not legally your own, thats perjury! The judge can also rule that "the dress of any juror shall not detract from the dignity of the court", this is up to his/her discrection!

In any event from my limited experience in this area, I doubt that you would be chosen for jury duty, but who knows!!!

Good Luck!

Sandra Michelle Moran JD

Priscilla1018
02-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Holly.

I do not only think you should go to jury service dressed, but I think we girls should all come with you as suport. Anyone want to join the posse? :)

Sign me up!

Love and Hugs,
Priscilla

Ps. I wonder if we would get a jury of our peers? Would be very interesting.

Ashleigh
02-11-2005, 12:43 PM
I double-dog dare ya.

:)

Sherri, that's a breach of protocol. You have to first dare someone. Then you can go to a double dog dare. But I guess you just go for the throat right up front.

Ashleigh
02-11-2005, 12:46 PM
The following are from the Pennsylvania guidlines for jury dress codes: Usually all states are pretty much the same!

"There is no prescribed dress for jurors except that the dress of any juror shall not detract from the dignity of the court. Women may wear slacks provided they are appropriate to a courtroom. Men should dress conservatively. Shorts, tank tops and tee shirts with slang slogans are considered inappropriate dress. Remember the parties in any case look to the jurors for justice. Their faith in the jury system is more likely to persist if the jurors make a favorable appearance"

Holly: to attempt to answer your question, basically there is no specific law against dressing enfemme on jury duty, unless you use your enfemme name, and its not legally your own, thats perjury! The judge can also rule that "the dress of any juror shall not detract from the dignity of the court", this is up to his/her discrection!

In any event from my limited experience in this area, I doubt that you would be chosen for jury duty, but who knows!!!

Good Luck!

Sandra Michelle Moran JD

We have a Juris Doctorate among us!

Well stated Sandra.

Sharon
02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Hmm..., Southern California? Monday? And when is it that a certain accused celebrity pedophile's jury selection process begins? Your attire may not even be noticed Holly. :p

Ashleigh
02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Hmm..., Southern California? Monday? And when is it that a certain accused celebrity pedophile's jury selection process begins? Your attire may not even be noticed Holly. :p

Holly would be considered the wierd one unfortunately. She is not WORLD famous. Yes, she is our own celebrity and famous to us, but if you have national and world fame AND money............

Lauren Richards
02-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I was recently called for jury duty and showed up the first day wearing a bra and my small set of breast forms under my shirt, and a pair of tights under my pants. Got selected and sat there in the jury box, happy as could be, no-one the wiser..

NoraT
02-12-2005, 01:20 AM
It really depends on where you live. In some counties, they are so happy to get reasonably intelligent, articulate jurors (like you obviously are) that they would take someone dressed in a gorilla suit. The worst that can happen is that you'd get excused, even in the most backward places.

BTW I am a trial lawyer in real life. I would not hesitate a moment to have you on a jury.

Holly
02-12-2005, 01:42 AM
It really depends on where you live. In some counties, they are so happy to get reasonably intelligent, articulate jurors (like you obviously are) that they would take someone dressed in a gorilla suit. The worst that can happen is that you'd get excused, even in the most backward places.

BTW I am a trial lawyer in real life. I would not hesitate a moment to have you on a jury.
A gorilla suit, eh? Well, okay but it has to be a girl gorilla :D . I would be most pleased to serve on a jury for you.

Noel Chimes
02-12-2005, 02:41 PM
And is there something wrong with wearing a dress? Remember, they thought the same thing when women started wearing pants. What you wear does not influence what you think about a trial. Your vote is suppose to be based on the facts of the case, and not on wheather you have on pumps or stilletos.
Who knows! The Judge may have a pair of heels in his chambers. And who knows whats under that black robe. Noel

Holly
02-12-2005, 02:48 PM
...Who knows! The Judge may have a pair of heels in his chambers. And who knows whats under that black robe. Noel
OMG! I've often wondered the same thing myself! Must of been all those years of watching Perry Mason! As far as wearing clothing goes, how about a girl gorilla in a dress :eek: :eek: !

Sweet Jeanette
02-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Sign me up!

Love and Hugs,
Priscilla

Ps. I wonder if we would get a jury of our peers? Would be very interesting.

Do you mean, if the Judge ran all of us in?----I can see it now!---The attourneys having to pick a jury from a courtroomful of Crossdressers! :D ---That WOULD be a jury of our peers, Right?---HA :D ---THAT would make the evening news!!!----Ha!--------I LOVE IT! :D -------That would be a "Rockin Court"!!!!!-------I LOVE it! :D

June
02-12-2005, 08:57 PM
What about the woman who wore the Star Trek uniform to trial ? That caused quite a fuss but I believe they kept her on the jury :)

wilma
02-12-2005, 09:29 PM
If the defence and the prosecuting attourney have no objection you should be in. If I were on trial I would welcome a CD. I believe most of us have the traits of not prejudging, being openminded to others, and I believe most of us are compasonate. I hope I'm not prejudging. I see those traits in most here in our forum. What do you think? LOL Wilma

Sweet Jeanette
02-12-2005, 09:32 PM
What about the woman who wore the Star Trek uniform to trial ? That caused quite a fuss but I believe they kept her on the jury :)

I think your cool, June!

Sweet Susan
02-12-2005, 10:53 PM
I say go for it! Take the bar and show up en femme!

Holly
02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
First of all, ladies, thank you all so much for responding to my thread. It means so much to me that you care enough to take to time to help me sort these kind of things out.

I felt it necessary to let you all know what I finally decided to do. Tomorrow when I report for jury duty, I will be drab on the outside, but fully Holly on the inside. I have respect for our system of justice (although I do not always agree with the outcomes) and would not want to even give the appearance of mocking or disrespecting it in any fashion. Sadly the freedom we seek to express ourselves in what we wear could easily be misconscrewed by some of the narrowminded thinkers in our society. I dream of the day when we wherever we want, whenever we want, wearing whatever we want. I don't want to risk losing the war for the sake of one battle.

You girls are the best... Holly hugs for everyone!

Tiffany Tuesday
02-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Dear Holly,

i think that is really wise of you honey. I agree, it is neither the time nor the place, and could be totally misconstrued to the detriment of yourself and our cause.

Hugz xxx

Lauren Richards
02-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Holly,
I think you have made a good choice, and will be a good person to have in the jury box if you are selected. All things considered, the focus should be on the defendant in any trial situation. Diversions of any sort which divert attention from the information being presented in court is not fair to the defendant, nor to the prosecution. Having a fair day in court is so important to us all that I appreciate your choice. What is under your clothing is your business in this case (no pun intended..), so Holly can be there, no matter what name they happen to call, no mattter what picture is on your drivers license. You have demonstrated good judgement in my opinion, and I know you are the type of person I would like to have in the jury.

Lauren

Holly
02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Just thought I'd give you girls a quick update (and I thought we needed another "Should I?" thread active at the moment:D ). I was selected as a jurist and we started hearing testimony yesterday (Monday). It really is a privilege to be part of the justice system. It's far from perfect but it's miles ahead of everything else!